Curly30's Whole30!

curly30

Hello! Today, Jan 13 (auspicious date!) is Day 1 of my first Whole30. I decided to start a log to stay on track.

We all have different reasons for turning to Whole30. I'm a 36-year-old curly girl dealing with fertility issues. We've just come from our first round of IVF, where I didn't produce many eggs, and only one was retrieved that didn't develop. Our doctor suggested I take a month (or two) off to recover from the stress and for my body to rest, as well, before we start another round. Instead of wallowing for a month, I've decided to channel my frustration and anger into becoming healthy, one Whole30 day at a time.

Yesterday was my shopping day, first at Costco where I stocked up on organic meats and veggies, and to Trader Joe's to stock up on eggs, nuts and avocados. I have 90% organic fresh produce in my fridge, something that I had somewhat already been doing as suggested by my acupuncturist.

Spent the afternoon cooking proteins for the week:

- sausage patties with a mix of lean ground turkey and beef for breakfast

- baked balsamic-marintated chicken breasts for lunch

- roasted rosemary pork loin for dinner

Also steamed some butternut squash, asparagus and kale.

So, this is how Day 1 looks like for me!

Breakfast

- homemade sausage patty pan-fried in a little evoo

- steamed kale

- 1/2 avocado

Pre-Walk Snack at 11:30 am

- hard-boiled egg

- closed handful walnuts

Lunch Walk

- I take my hour-long lunch at work to walk (somewhat briskly, I sweat a little but not buckets). Today did 3.8 miles.

Lunch At 1:15 pm

- palm-sized portion of baked balsamic chicken

- steamed and mashed butternut squash

- steamed asparagus

- mixed salad greens (baby kale, baby spinach and bay chard)

Dinner

- 2 thin-ish slices (plam-sized) of rosemary pork loin

- lemon-garlic green beans

- mixed salad greens

Just had lunch and I am STUFFED!

I wonder how my meal planning is doing. Day 2 should look about the same until I run out of proteins mid-week!

Ok, last night, I had to eat an apple before dinner because I was really hungry, though on hindsight, maybe I should've eaten an egg instead. Also, I was hungry three hours after dinner and ate a small slice of pork to remedy. Maybe I'm not eating enough protein? Also, the fact that I'm walking almost 4 miles a day might need to play into my meal planning.

ALSO, I am...constipated. This baffles me, as I used to be on-the-dot regular. I've been looking around on the boards and this has happened to others, too. I'm going to try either saurkraut if I can find it at my WF, or digestive enzymes if those are avaialable. I'm also going to stick to COOKED greens. That was the one big difference yesterday in my diet. I had always cooked/steamed/wilted my greens before, as my acupuncturist suggested. I think my bowl of raw mixed baby greens at lunch tripped me up. I'm also going to add a sweet potato to one of my meals.

So. Day 2:

M1: homemade turkey-beef breakfast sausage patty, steamed kale, nuked sweet potato (1 small), 1/2 avocado

Pre Walk Snack at 11:30: hb egg, handful nuts

Walk At Lunch For An Hour

M2 at 1:15 pm: baked balsamic chicken breast, steamed butternut squash, steamed green beans

M3 at 7:30 pm: roast pork loin, 2 slices, steamed green beans

I'm worried I'm eating too many portions of starchy veggies, but I might have to get over that if it helps "move stuff along."

Otherwise, feeling good and motivated!

I was feeling exhausted and gross by the end of yesterday. So tired! But then I added sauerkraut to meals yesterday, and it has REALLY helped with the bloating and constipation! (I hate that word, haha.) Feeling SO MUCH BETTER today!

Day 3

M1: homemade turkey-beef breakfast patty, steamed baby greens, 1/2 avocado

M2: grass-fed beed picadillo made with green beans, mushrooms and red bell pepper, steamed baby greens, 1/2 sweet potato

Pre-Zumba Snack: 2 hb eggs, handful walnuts

M3 Post Zumba: leftover balsamic chicken breast, might add some sardines, steamed baby greens, 12/ sweet potato, sauerkraut

Had to talk myself into eating after Zumba last night. I just don't feel like eating after a workout sometimes, but I know it's important on Whole30 because it helps your body fix itself.

Day 4

M1: turkey-beef sausage patty, steamed asparagus, handful fresh tomatoes, 1/2 avocado

Pre-walk snack: handful nuts (usually have an hb egg with this but totally forgot it at home)

Walk for an hour during workday lunch

M2 at 1:15pm: grass-fed beef picadillo with mushrooms, green beans and red bell peppers, steamed broc, cauli and carrots, 1/2 sweet potato

M3: leftover balsamic chicken breasts, curry made with coconut milk, baby squashes, red peppers and greens

Hi Curly, I am going to start this whole30 on Monday, would like to start prepping some meals... I would dread eating eggs every morning, do u mind sharing your sausage patty recipe - do u add any herbs/spices or binding ingredients?  Thanks!

meili, here's a Turkey Breakfast Sausage recipe that I LOVE. No binding necessary. If your turkey is very lean, I suggest adding an egg, but so far, I haven't had to. Very Whole30 friendly. I couldn't do eggs every morning, so it's been a real lifesaver. I make a big batch then eat it on its own with veggies or I'll break it up and use in a "breakfast stir-fry" with sweet potatoes.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-turkey-sausage-patties/

Physibeth, thanks! I'm adjusting a bit more to meals and finding solutions to my hunger. I needed to add just a little bit more protein. It's interesting how my old mind-set of "eat less" doesn't necessarily apply--when I eat less at meals, I eat more between them. So I'm finding ways to gauge how full I actually feel as opposed to how full I think I'm "supposed" to feel. Yes, my breakfast patty is palm-sized, so I'm never hungry between bfast and lunch. It was the lunch and dinner portions that I needed to change up.

I DO need not to be so scared of fat and be ok with it. The sardines I had the other night (Crown Prince in evoo) said it had 10 grams of fat in a serving, and that made me freak out a little, but I realize some of it does get left behind in the tin because I eat just the sardines with a little of the oil it's packed in. I also realized I need to really keep track of my water! So those are my two resolutions for the next few days.

Day 5

(Wow! I can't believe I survived FIVE DAYS without bread, rice or sweets! A small miracle!)

M1: turkey breakfast patty, leftover vegetable curry from dinner

Pre-Walk snack, 11:30 am: hb egg, handful nuts

Lunch walk: one hour's walk during my lunch break at work

M2 at 1:15: beef picadillo with mushrooms, green beans and peppers, leftover veggie curry (love this stuff!), 1/2 sweet potato

M3: Haven't decided. I've eaten out the fridge at home this week! Some things I know I can work with: green beans, organic mixed greens, eggs, sweet poatoes already baked. Oh, and I have wild-caught cod in the freezer too. We will see! :)

Try to avoid looking at the nutrition labels and grams of whatever during your W30. It will psych you out. Do look at the ingredient list though. That is pretty much the only thing I look at anymore. I get really frustrated when I can't find that list...they hide them sometimes. :) Definitely don't fear the fat! 

Dinner last night was quick--and delicious! I ate two Applegate grass-fed hotdogs, steamed broccoli, some pickled green tomatoes and 1/2 sweet potato. As a treat, dessert was pomelo! Yum.

Today, Day 6:

M1: one applegate hot dog scrambled with two eggs in a little ghee, some olives, leftover steamed broccoli, 1/2 grapefruit

Zumba at 11 am for one hour

M2: turkey breakfast patty, steamed asparagus, 1/2 sweet potato

M3: 1/3-lb. organic bison burger patty, roasted veggies

Also started Digest Ultimate by Now Foods today. 

Feeling empowered. :)

Ok. Day 7 and some fessin' up: I've been snacking. At night, maybe 3 hours after dinner and I'm still up. i don't log the snacks because they're technically compliant--fruit, a piece of meat, dates, coconut chips--but it's a bad habit nonetheless, because I'm not REALLY hungry, I'm just peckish and want to eat something.

So, resolutions moving forward—no more snacks! Instead of getting up and going to the kitchen, I'm thinking of starting a cross-stitch project to keep my hands busy when I watch TV.

Day 7 Food Log:

M1: turkey breakfast patty, sweet potato, 1 large banana sprinkled with coconut chips and cinnamon (decided this is going to be my weekend treat because it's so good!)

M2: 2 scrambled eggs, chicken livers (I'll drizzle a little evoo over all) that I made Filipino-adobo style, steamed green beans

M3: organic grass-fed filet mignon, mashed cauliflower puree, steamed broccoli

Deep breaths, good choices, one meal at a time.

Day 8 (Wow, Day 8!!!)

For some reason wasn't that hungry at breakfast. I couldn't finish my meal, but I tried to eat as much of it as I could. I suspect that's why I was hungry two hours after, but I had a sensible snack. Also, today was shopping day for Week 2, and also Mega Cooking Day.

M1: two scrambled eggs with chicken livers crumbled in, leftover mashed cauliflower, drizzle of evoo

Snack: one hb egg, handful raw cashews

M2: no-fuss salmon cakes from ISWF, leftover mashed cauliflower, steamed broccoli

M3: coconut-crusted cod, roasted cauliflower and eggplant

**Meals planned for Week 2:

Breakfasts: turkey breakfast sausage, steamed kale, handful walnuts

Lunch: baked lemon-garlic chicken breasts, roasted cauliflower and eggplant drizzled with evoo, baked sweet potato

Dinners: alternate turkey picadillo with green beans and spinach, leftover salmon cakes, coconut-crusted cod, steamed broccoli

Pre-workout snacks: hb eggs, handful raw cashews

Also, we have today off because it's MLK day, but I still want to get a workout in. Maybe do a Jillian Michaels set. :)

Other observations: My planta fasciitis seems to have disappeared! I've been plagued for almost a year since my first flare-up last year after I started going to Zumba. I used to dread the mornings after, but I've been walking almost 4 miles daily and have gone to Zumba twice this week and I'm pain-free. Nothing short of amazing! :)

Day 9

M1: turkey breakfast patty, steamed kale (never thought I'd LIKE steamed kale for breakfast!), handful coconut chips

Pre-walk snack at 11:30: hb egg, handful cashews

Walk one hour at lunch

M2 at 1:15: lemon-garlic chicken breast, roasted cauliflower and eggplant (so delicious!)

M3: salmon cake, steamed broccoli tossed in ghee+lemon juice, sauerkraut

Making a conscious effort this week to include fat in each of my meals. I think it's key to feeling full, and I'm going to really pay attention to how my body reacts. After a lifetime of "low-fat" and "fat-free," it's a hard habit to break!

Also, another thought: Food tastes SO GOOD to me now. My husband wonders if my tastebuds were deadened by sugar and sweets and fake stuff, and now that I'm eating purely whole foods, the nerve endings are getting resurrected! Haha. He has never made me talk this much about how good stuff tastes on a "diet."

Really grateful for all these steps forward for my health!

YES, I've found that foods that I wouldn't have considered touching 2 years ago were suddenly appealing when I dramatically cut back on the sugar/grains. I had never willingly eaten SALADS until 2 years ago--or onions, or blackberries, or sweet potatoes, or mushrooms... the list goes on. It's like a whole new world of food!

Day 10

M1: turkey breakfast patty, steamed kale, handful of coconut chips

M2: palm-sized lemon-garlic chicken breast, roasted cauliflower and eggplant

Pre Zumba snack at 6 pm: two hb eggs, handful cashews

Zumba for an hour at 7:30

M3 at 9 pm: ground turkey stir-fried with green beans (coconut aminos+garlic powder+onions), sauerkraut, 1/2 sweet potato

I had a hard time getting up today, and feel somewhat tired. Stayed up past my bedtime cross-stitching, of all things! Resolution moving forward: turn in earlier! Hopefully Zumba will knock me out tonight so I'm in bed fairly early.

Also, one other thing to note: Whole30 has given me something else other than the physical benefits of feeling good. I have more confidence now. Confident that I can make good choices when it comes to food, and because my cravings are under control, I'm confident I know when to stop eating. I used to be so insecure in my eating whenever I was on a diet (ex-Weight Watcher), because I had to obsess over food: counting points, making sure I see "low-fat" or "hi-fiber" on a label, etc. Whole30 is so much more INTUITIVE for me. I mean, I still read labels and all that, but there's much less obsession with Whole30. Maybe it's because I don't have to weigh in every week and measure and weigh my food every time! So liberating!

Also, one other thing to note: Whole30 has given me something else other than the physical benefits of feeling good. I have more confidence now. Confident that I can make good choices when it comes to food, and because my cravings are under control, I'm confident I know when to stop eating. I used to be so insecure in my eating whenever I was on a diet (ex-Weight Watcher), because I had to obsess over food: counting points, making sure I see "low-fat" or "hi-fiber" on a label, etc. Whole30 is so much more INTUITIVE for me. I mean, I still read labels and all that, but there's much less obsession with Whole30. Maybe it's because I don't have to weigh in every week and measure and weigh my food every time! So liberating!

I wanted to hit the like button for this but apparently I have reached my quota of positive votes for the day.  :rolleyes: These are the kinds of lessons that have kept me moving forward in this lifestyle.

I wanted to hit the like button for this but apparently I have reached my quota of positive votes for the day.  :rolleyes: These are the kinds of lessons that have kept me moving forward in this lifestyle.

Thanks for all the encouragement and validation, Physibeth!

Day 11

M1: turkey breakfast patty, steamed kale, handful coconut chips

M2: lemon-garlic baked chicken breast, roasted veggies (cauliflower, bell pepper, eggplant), 1/2 sweet potato

M3: ground turkey stir-fried with green beans, wilted spinach, sauerkraut, handful raw walnuts

I've been looking at the typical Whole30 timeline, and I definitely didn't follow it. Mine has been all jumbled up--my "nothing fits" happened right at the beginning, on Days 2 and 3. Right now are supposed to be the hardest days, but I feel relatively ok about where I'm at. I think it's fine, though. Whenever I hit a patch, I just look up the timeline to see if it has happened to people at all. Doesn't matter much to me when it happens to me--just that it's happened to others at some point and that I'll get over it.

Some exciting news on the fitness front: I've decided to learn how to swim in the coming weeks! Lessons will be with an instructor who specializes in teaching adults who have never learned (grown-ups have all sorts of phobias that kids don't have). I am super nervous but honestly so proud of myself for even getting this far and deciding to conquer a childhood fear. It's something I've always wanted to do but never had the guts to. Honestly, all this is because I feel good about myself and my choices for the first time in a long time, I have the energy, and I have the mind-set to commit to something, because I've proven to myself that I can by deciding to do Whole30 and by sticking to it, one meal at a time. So for me, learning to swim will be like that: one lesson at a time. :)

Day 12

M1: ground turkey stir-fried with green beans, steamed kale, handful coconut chips

Pre Walk: Gourmet Grassfed jerky, handful cashews

Walk at lunch to get sunscreen, goggles and swim cap for tomorrow's swimming lesson!

M2: palm-sized lemon-garlic chicken breast, will heat with pan juices and toss with raw spinach, 1/2 sweet potato

M3: organic grass-fed beef burger patty with fennel, apple and arugula salad, avocado

I had my first Whole30 food dream last night! Dreamt I was at a morning meeting at work and it was catered, and NOTHING was compliant, so I snuck in a grass-fed burger patty and was eating it on the sly in front of everyone. It was kind of awkward and weird. Ahahaha!

Day 13

Today I had a three-hour swimming lesson, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't hungry while I was in the water.

M1: turkey breakfast patty, 1 sweet potato, 2 cups spinach, sauerkraut

Pre-swim snack: hb egg, handful cashews

Post Swim M2: Primal Pac in the car on the way home (tried it for the first time today and love it!)

M3: tuna salad with homemade mayo (so delicious and easy!), steamed asparagus, jicama, sliced tomatoes, olives

Can't believe I learned to swim today. It was a Level 1class (shallow water) but I move on to Level 2 (deep water) next week. I was able to do front-facing glides, and roll over to my back for backstrokes, then flip back on to my belly without freaking myself out. HUGE BIG DEAL for me. The instructor was very encouraged by my gumption! Pretty worn out tonight after an afternoon being nervous in the water, but it was worth it, and my M3 is my reward! Bought white asparagus--yum!

Day 14

2 weeks in, can't believe I've lasted this long. No carb or sugar cravings, not hungry and cranky!

M1: slow-cooker chicken verde, spaghetti squash, handful cashews

M2: napa cabbage and kale salad with grilled chicken, almond slivers and olive oil

M3: ground beef patty, lettuce, tomato, jicama

My husband and I babysat our nephew and niece this afternoon, so I knew we wouldn't have time to cook today for the week. I actually willed myself to cook last night! Just knowing I have food ready is helpful and comforting. Whole30 does take a lot of time and planning, but it gets easier. So, healty meals for next week:

Breakfasts: compliant chicken sausage from Trader Joe's, oranic broccoli slaw made with homemade mayo and a chopped up apple for sweetness

Lunches: spaghetti squash with meat sauce (ground organic beef, peppers, mushrooms)

Dinners: slow cooker chicken verde, veggies (bought frozen organic broccoli, green beans, also have fixings for a fresh salad: romaine, red peppers, jicama)

Day 15

I had a weird emotional spell last night after even-keel emotions since starting Whole30. I don't know what happened, but I suspect it was because my eating schedule was erratic during the day babysitting, or maybe it was my version of "Kill All The Things." Anyway, I woke up somewhat back to even keel today, and being at work and eating on time is certainly going to help.

M1: compliant chicken sausage from Trader Joe's, oranic broccoli slaw made with homemade mayo and a chopped up apple for sweetness

Pre-walk snack: hb egg, handful cashews

Walk at lunch for an hour, one block further than my usual route!

M2 at 1:15 pm: spaghetti squash with meat sauce (ground organic beef, peppers, mushrooms)

M3: slow cooker chicken verde, veggies: bell peppers, romaine, jicama, olives

Archived