I'm having a rough afternoon at the doctors office.

Jenn35

I just left a doctor after my first appointment with him. He called me pre-diabetic, which isn't off course. But, he's telling me about weight loss drugs and I'm not interested in taking them- especially not something that if I stopped taking it, I would gain the weight back.

I told him about the Whole30 and paleo. He seemed to be on board with grass-fed meat, but seemed to think I would plateau. I'm 5'4" and 230 pounds. I know I'm overweight. I understand I'm pre-diabetic, but can't he just support me while I lose weight? Scare me with facts so that I continue eating Whole30?

His advice: move more, eat less, weigh DAILY. I told him i certainly wouldn't be weighing daily. I just donated my scale to Goodwill! Any advice? Get a new doctor? Just refuse pills?

You might want to try a different doctor. Sometimes the medical establishment is more interested in treating the symptoms then in fixing the cause. Have you thought about a Homeopathic doctor? How about an "eat right for your blood type" doctor? I see a homeopath/chiropractor that is more into fixing the cause then giving me pills. A friend of mine went to an "eat right for your blood type" doctor and he told her to eat a non inflammatory diet (similar to paelo) and she is feeling so much better.

Also don't be intimidated by the doctor. I went to a dentist that tried to bully me and blame me when the treatment he was giving me wasn't working. I left there and found another dentist who was willing to work with me and find a plan that would work for me ( I happen to be the one person on the planet that is allergic to invisaligns). It's not you, it's them.

• Moderators

Doctors tell you what they know and, unfortunately, most know nothing about what works long-term to help people achieve a healthy weight. You are on the right track with the Whole30. Just keep going and let him see the difference in you a few months down the road. 

I might consider a new doctor. But more than that...

Keep going! I'm 5ft4 and started at 230 as well. Since then I have lost 45 pounds eating mostly Paleo, and have achieved so many of my fitness goals (with so many left!). It's more than possible - it's probable that eating this way you WILL see results. So keep away from the scale, keep up your Whole30, and find some movement you enjoy. The rest will take care of itself. :) 

How often do you go to your doctor?  If it's not for ages, just don't worry about it for now.  Stick with your Whole 30 and see what happens. Weight loss is a long-term thing and hopefully you'll have proved him wrong by the next time you're back in.

Tina- My mum followed the blood type diet for awhile, and the random restrictions it placed on your diet made it really hard to eat processed foods and thus you had to cook your own whole foods.  Thus the massive improvements that a lot of people see. My blood type (O) fits in well with paleo as far as i can remember, you don't want to be an A though (you're meant to avoid meat and I think eat whole grains and soy).  It was years ago though, so don't trust me on the specifics there.  My mum did lose quite a bit of weight and felt a lot better, but I always attributed it to just eating healthier food in general.  

Archived