Restlessness at Night

TrayS

So, I'm on Day 12 and loving it. I'm past the hangover, KATT, the napping phase, and starting to feel as good as I've felt since.... well, my last Whole30. However, I'm having an issue now that I don't recall having previously. Every night for at least the past 3 or 4 nights I've been waking up once, around 4-5 AM, with a jittery, restless feeling. It's almost like Restless Leg syndrome except it's full-body. I'm always able to get back to sleep, but it's weird. Any ideas?

Foodwise, I'm pretty sure I'm eating enough because I am short (5'3) and only moderately active at this point. Here's today's meals for reference, and reflects a typical day:

Today:

Meal 1: two egg muffins (egg, spinach and sun dried tomato) - about 3 eggs worth in 2 muffins, plus a small tangerine and a couple of blackberries

Meal 2: a large chunk of leftover Shepherd's Pie from Well Fed (2 main ingredients are ground lamb and cauliflower), and cucumber slices

Meal 2.5: I was hungry mid-afternoon so had a smaller version of Meal 2.

Meal 3 will be leftover chicken and vegs, probably a sweet potato and spinach.

I was thinking about this post after I wrote it and the answer hit me. No, it slapped me in the face. Caffiene. 2-3 cups of coffee each morning. So then I just read the coffee manifesto, and then Melissa's blog post about quitting coffee. As I write this, I'm super jittery from the cup of mildly caffeinated tea I drank at 1:30 PM after my caffiene crash (oh did I not mention that?)

Oh dear god. I have to quit.

Now, I "tried" quitting caffiene during my last W30 and the withdrawal symptoms coincided with my "hangover" phase and scarred me from even THINKING about trying to quit again. I just can't function with that level of headache. So my first step will be to switch to tea. White tea (lower in caffeine than black or green). Then I'll rip off the bandaid when my box runs out. Or the weekend before that happens so that the worst of the headache doesn't coincide with the work week.

I can do it though, and I need to. Whole30 has taught me nothing if not that I'm stronger than my bad habits.

Good luck! Have you thought about switching to half-caf (or green tea) and then reassessing first before ditching the caffeine entirely? Especially since your caffeine is in the morning, could be that you would be fine just cutting back. There's no reason not to quit caffeine entirely, but maybe you don't have to if you don't want to. 

Thank you!

I did tea only this morning. It was Tazo white berry tea and I had 2 cups, which I estimated was probably about 1/4 of my normal caffeine intake (I drink coffee strong). If I notice improvements then maybe I could do tea or half calf or something like that ongoing, but I need to see what life is like without caffeine first. I haven't had a morning without caffeine in many years (except a day here and there when I have had the flu or the occasional bad hangover). The Coffee Manifesto points out that if you feel like you NEED your coffee then you need to reexamine your habits, so at the very least I need a "caffeine vacation." An entirely substance-free stretch would be a new adventure for me, and one I need to experience.

Tea only this morning has gone ok. I feel a little bit tired this afternoon despite having slept nine hours last night, but no headache.

Archived