Started this weekend...ugh!

Nikol

Hi everyone. I didn't intend on joining the forum, but I need some serious cheerleading. I am 38 and overweight since the birth of my child 16 years ago. Prior to that I was a very athletic fit person. After he was born I got sick and stayed that way for a long time. The weight started creeping on year after year and no matter what I did (diet, bootcamp, starvation etc) it would not come off. Recently, I started having major stomach pains that landed me in the ER several times. After all the test, my gastroenterologist said it was IBS. I'm also possibly celiac, I never had the tests, but I gave up gluten 2 years ago by accident and had very dramatic results to my energy and gut problems. Then suddenly on April 28th this pain started and didn't let up. I went home for lunch one day and turned on the TV and saw Melissa talking about the book. Something she said really made me stop in my tracks. I overnighted it on Amazon, read it in 3 nights and then sat there procrastinating about when would be the right time to start. Well....I got really sick. And now I'm tired of being sick so Sunday (7/22) I woke up and started it. I know I'm a massive sugar addict, but I didn't know it would be this bad! I have felt like crap since I started. Nothing I can put my finger on just feel like I've been run over by a train. SO TIRED! I slept ALL weekend. I went home for lunch today and took a nap before eating. I could just curl up under my desk right now. I've been going to be early around 9 pm and mostly sleeping. Last night I was so hot (like hormonal hot flashes) and had a horrible migraine headache so it was hard to fall asleep. When I woke up that was gone. I feel hungry all the time, but I think its psychological because I feel hungry the second I finish a huge meal (I say huge because it's hard to eat meat and a ton of veg for me). I am usually the girl that goes all day without eating and then has a big dinner. Anyway, sorry I've been so wordy, I just feel so tired and blah I'm looking for someone to tell me its going to pass soon.

:) Nikol

Welcome, Nikol! I'm glad you joined. I started on Sunday too. I think I may be having an easier time of it than you but I figure mine will just come later!

Have you started a log? You do have to register (free!) to have one but you might find alot of support and accountability there.

Stick with it! I hope you start to feel better soon.

Hang in there Nikol! Be kind to yourself. Make sure you eat enough and drink water. The first week or so can be really difficult, but ultimately this way of eating is fantastic!

Starting a log is a good idea. Plus, read other logs. You'll find out that you aren't the only one feeling this way in the beginning!

Good luck!

• Moderators

Giving up sugar means your body is having to learn to use fat as energy. Your body probably hasn't learned yet, so you are chronically tired. Your body will learn and you will start to feel better. You don't have to do anything special to become fat-adapted. Just stay with the program.

Welcome Nikol-

You are going to feel better, I promise! Hang in there. It's really important to make sure you are eating enough every day-and you are going to be surprised how much "enough" is. I felt like I was eating SO much food the first few days-and when compared to how much I ate at "meals" before whole30, I was eating a lot more. I too would tend to skip meals and eat a larger dinner-or snack all day. So the notion of filling my plate full of vegetables three times a day was so foreign to me! But, I got used to it pretty quickly and felt much better after the first full week. Check out the "what to expect" blog-it's pretty accurate. My worst days were 6-7-zero energy, napping...but it got better quickly!

So, even if you aren't "hungry", feed yourself well three times a day! Make sure you are getting good carbs now-sweet potatoes, squash and healthy fats. They will help your energy levels a lot!

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sometime last night the blah broke! I went home after posting and had an enormous craving for salad. I was nervous about it because I sometimes have trouble with raw veg. But I got a large bowl of lettuce, chopped tomato, chopped avacado, grilled grass fed steak. Then I carmalized onions in ghee and added balsamic vinegar. Reduced the vinegar so I had something resembling onion jam. Added that to the salad as dressing. Drizzled a little olive oil, sprinkled with almonds. I ate the whole thing, savoring every bite. When I was done I felt great. This morning I'm a bit tired still, but I think I feel a little more energetic. And no problems with the raw salad :) I think I might have the same thing for lunch. Thanks again everyone I will keep posting my progress. ;)

Hang in there. Do everything you can to stay on plan but remember this is ultimately about the rest of your healthy life. If you stumble for any reason, just get back on track with your very next healthy choice!!!

You can also do your own personal photo food log by just taking a picture of your meals with your phone before you eat. I find I work on food presentation, use a pretty plate and actually sit down at the table to eat slowly when I take photos of my food. I also work on the rainbow of fruits and veggies more instead of turning to the same old broccoli and cauliflower over and over. :)

Hi Nikol,

I just started a log today. If you go to the main Forum page, then go to the bottom of the page under Communities you will see the thread for Logs. I have never talked on forums before because I was scared but I am loving it. I feel like this will keep me motivated and everyone gives such great ideas.

Have a great day!

Faith

Archived