Why do I feel like I'm gaining weight?

Ugh! Why do I feel like I'm gaining weight? I don't know if it's my mental psyche messing with me because I can't weight myself, but I feel like I'm not noticing changes as rapidly or like other people talk about. Everyone comments that my log looks good, but I just don't know. I think for years I've been a calorie counter and this is throwing me off. All the fat consumption has me nervous foo. Just wanted some food for thought from some of you out there. I know the Whole 30 is not a diet or calorie restricted plan, but I was hoping to see some improvement in my weight, etc. my log link is below. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1179-jeannies-whole-30-day-2-and-beyond/

I only lost about 4 pounds on my first one. The thing is, if you're starting this with a lot to lose and it's a big change from your previous diet, you'll probably see bigger changes more quickly. If you're starting it and it's a minor tweak to your diet, you probably won't get as much drastic body change. I started from a mostly whole foods/home cooked, but not paleo diet. The big changes for me were giving up wine, whole wheat tortillas, beans, chocolate and rice.

Hi Laura,

I think your log looks great! You should also throw those scales away, it's terrible that if you got on and haven't lost weight it can ruin your day. You are eating so well, a really healthy diet. As a yoga teacher, practice some mediation and practice your body acceptance. Every day whilst doing whole 30, follow a mantra of your own....I love my body because.........put it up on your mirror and say it over and over and eventually you will believe it! You sound like you are fit and strong, theres a perfect reason to love your body. Did you know stressing about whether you re losing weight or not can actually cause an increase release of cortisol which is the hormone which causes you to store fat!!! So that's where changing your mindset might be important in this whole 30 thing but also in your life! Meditation can be done in so many ways but think good thoughts , positive thoughts, and ditch the scales....

Good luck on your journey

I was worried about the fat too...and I have not been well-behaved when it came to the scales. Still am not, especially since I've noticed changes in my body. But I can tell you that simply by ditching the sugar, bread, etc., my husband and I both have dropped quite a bit since we started, and I am probably eating more than I have in a really, really long time. And I dropped about half of it before I ever started working out. It is weird, though, that it seems like you swell up first and then start to lose, LOL...

It's so hard in our society to ignore the scales and only think about how we feel, and our energy, but that's what it's all about! This is what I wrote when I began my Whole30 journey:

Today, I choose to be at peace with my body. My goal will be improved health and increased energy. I will change my psychological relationship to food. I will see it as fuel (and won't put sugar in my tank!) I will build my strength. And I WILL succeed.

I haven't made it through an entire Whole30, but I've banked a lot of good food days.

Hang in there!!

Don't worry Laura, i'm on day 25 and i know i've only lost maybe a 1kg....... I ate almost whole30 compliant prior to starting, but i have noticed other changes, like energy, fullness from food, the ablitlity to be at peace with my body. All great things, that a scale can't measure. So don't be disheartened! If you didn't have a lot of weight to lose you may not lose much on the whole30. But once you're done, then you can tweak calories, and lose those final kg's/lbs...........

Thanks for the encouragement. I feel similar things as you, but I definitely have some fat loss I need to have happen. I've been working out and following the plan. Hopefully things are going better than I think. :) everything takes time, and I'm not patient. Hehe. I practiced my mantra today and yesterday and felt pretty good today. One day at a time.

Laura, from what I have only gleaned from our interaction on this board, you are way (not weigh!) more than that number on the scales. Now stop your worrying and just keep rocking out your w30. Worrying about something never changed the outcome. Que sera sera :)

Archived