Theya's Umpteenth attempt at a Whole 30

theya

Day 3

I'm really just checking in to be accountable, I figured it I started a log then it will keep me on track. Today was way easier than yesterday. Yesterday all I did was think about food and I couldn't wait until my next meal. I felt like my whole world was centered around food. I am currently a stay-at-home-mom and as it's summer break, and I'm feeding a tween and a toddler, so actually my day really does revolve around food!

I think the key to my success today was eating enough at my 3 meals (I'm really trying not to snack), particularly protein. Also, today I am making a recipe I adapted from Bon Appetit which has rendered the cooking a little more exciting. I can't get stuck in a grilled chicken and burgers rut. Today it's Chicken-Apricot Skewers. They are marinated in a peanut coconut milk yogurt, cilantro sauce which was pretty easy to deal with, I just swapped out the peanuts for almonds, and replaced the yogurt with more coconut milk and omitted the brown sugar. If it turns out yummy (and pleases the crowd) I'll post the recipe tomorrow.

I feel like I should say something profound but that's all I've got at the moment.

You can do it ladies! Just gotta get past the first few days and it gets waaay easier! Theya I can imagine tht being a SAHM would make it more challenging...my biggest struggle is on the weekends when the weather is bad and I'm stuck inside. All I want to do is graze all day!! I need a hobby, but those are tough to do chasing a two year old :) I've started forcing myself to do ten burpees everytime I walk into the kitchen; normally by the end I just want to sit down and don't care about the snack anymore!

I'm about halfway through, and definitely find that some days are harder than others. One day I find myself really embracing and enjoying this new way of life, others I just want to get through the day staying on track. I definitely find that the more days I have under my belt, the more determined I am to make it all the way through. You can definitely do this! Stay the course!

Day 5! I am currently a Grill Master. I must preface by saying that I have never owned a grill in my life until a few weeks ago.I'm known as a pretty good cook in my circle, but had yet to channel my inner Bobby Flay until I got into the whole Paleo thing. For one thing I have lived mostly in big cities in apartments, and for another, I spent a good portion of my adult life a vegetarian. For the record, I think that was one of the cuprits of my life-long battle with depression, more on that later....

I am looking into getting maybe a 1/4 a cow or so when I can talk my husband into the fact that it's ok to eat that much beef (if it's grass fed and finished), but unitl then I have to resign myself to the "value" cuts recommended my my neighborhood butcher. However, he taught me a trick! If you marinate in a little Papaya puree or juice, the digestive enzymes with break down the toughness in the meat. I made a marinade of papaya juice, llime juice,onions, fresh ginger, salt, and worstershire sauce and marinated the tough cuts for about 8 hours. I grilled the result on my new handy-dandy grill and served on on a bed of cilantro and red leaf lettuce dressed with coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil (my new go-to dressing) and the results were divine, my hubbie even said it tasted like filet mignon it was so tender.

I'm not experiencing any major physcial changes. I've been having a little trouble sleeping soundly, and my tummy feels a little flatter, but other than that, no major symptoms. I'm not surprised, I was a pretty clean eater to start. My vices mostily included honey in my coffee, wine after a "tough" day, and the occasional cheese-fest (which I miss the most!).

Ok, I'm back and Day 1 is today again. Yes, I will keep trying, and yes, I am sick of listening to myself complain. I have been on this board whining about cheese or honey or wine, or whatever other item I wanted to ingest to "make me happy" and I'm here to tell you that I ingested those things this weekend, and not in any crazy amounts either, I simply ate like a "normal person" and I am in agony today. I kid you not. Agony.

I confess, I was skeptical when I would read about people going off plan eating a piece of toast and being "doubled over in pain" or having some cheese and spending all night on the toilet. I would roll my eyes and think "aw, come on? can it really be that dramatic?'. I've been eating wheat and dairy all my life and it has never bothered me. I have an iron stomach. Right? WRONG. It can be that dramatic and has been for me all day. I actually had to call my mother and have her come over and take my kids to the zoo because I have been doubled over in pain all day. I thought I might even have food poisoning (but no vomiting), just really, really painful abdominal cramps. It's so awful. I am now a believer.

And all because of a few corn tortillas, some beans, a martini and a few bites of chocolate cake!!! Because I wanted to feel "normal" at my cousin's birthday party. Not worth it.

Day 1--- with renewed commitment

I can attest to the fact that being a SAHM means your life revolves around food. I was making my kids GF pancakes this morning and it took everything I had not to snag a bite of one. I never realized how much food I probably put in my mouth just but snacking on what I am giving the kids.

I just started my first Whole 30, so I will be here with you trying to stick to the plan! Good luck!

Day 3

I'm still recovering from my off-roading. Yesterday my stomach hurt so much I couldn't eat lunch (not a normal occurrence for me). I read some of the trouble shooting posts to try to figure out what to do and I think I will try some digestive enzymes to help alleviate some of my discomfort, because I hoped it would be gone by now. I'm starting to wonder if something else I'm eating is a problem. Eggs? Coconut milk? Oh, and I probably should have cooked the cabbage I ate yesterday for breakfast.

Thanks Renee!!! I have houseguests this weekend and it's soooo hard because all I want to do is eat cheese and drink wine with them. Yesterday I even caught myself pretending to drink so they wouldn't notice. How messed up is that? I will say that the pain of last weekends grain-fest has kept me towing the line. Day 6! How's your Whole 30 going?

LOL I pretend to drink all of the time. Cranberry juice in a little martini glass is a favourite. I can't drink it super fast because of the tartness so it lasts a while.

So far my Whole30 has been pretty easy. A little tummy troubles this morning but I think that is due to trying the Natural Calm Magnesium last night.

Day 7 for me and I am pretty happy with the results so far. I do love sleeping well.

Archived