Georgie & Jeff Whole30

Hi Everyone,

This is my first Whole30, start date January 13. My husband and I are so excited about this new approach to food. We really LOVE what we've been able to eat so far.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the program of 3 new meals, the wonderful ingredients and interesting recipes to make. It's easier then I thought adjusting our palates to this new adventure in our lives. Honestly, this feels really good and so right... but I'm sure the pizza (him) and cupcake (me) dragons will come tugging at first, then kicking and screaming at our neurons sooner or later. But we'll deal with those demons when they come… for now, I'm basking in our happy start.

I love how meal 1 is so filling and satiating. I was never a morning eater, however my husband is starving upon waking. Apparently my hormones are really off, though I'm adjusting to this morning food in my belly quite well.  I used to keep it really simple with fruit and green smoothies, protein shakes, cereal, bagels and muffins. He's not into eggs, but I am, so the steak or burger in the morning has us pretty happy and satiated as well. That's huge since we both found ourselves eating nearly 2 hours later after the other way we ate.

So far this has been our meal plan for the two days:

1/13/14 Meal: 

Day 1: M1: Sweet potato hash and beef burger patties (him) fried eggs (me). M2: Kale & tomato salad w/ a splash of vin/evol, roasted acorn squash, boiled eggs (me) & balsamic chicken (him). M3 Kale & tomato salad w/ a splash of vin/evol, tomato, acorn squash, balsamic chicken breast.

1/14/14 Meal:

Day 2: M1: Sweet potato hash and beef burger patties (him) fried eggs (me), M2: Kale & tomato salad w/ a splash of vin/evol, roasted acorn squash, balsamic chicken (both). M3: Salad with tomatoes & olives w/ a splash of vin/evol & cashew chicken (both).

So far we feel really awesome, full and energized. We both have had very little cravings for these two days. The exception of right after a meal craving something sweet (him), we're currently monitoring it to see if he needs more protein or fat, which I increased his protein at dinner. Time will tell. For me I have a tinge of a craving around bedtime but I ignored it since this is when I usually feed my sweet tooth.  We're eating more on this diet then we normally do. This is good, I don't feel guilty about the type of fat, the portion sizes or protein and I love all the vegetables.

I have kept us away from any fruits because of my sugar addiction, so I'm staying away from fruits for the whole30.  My husband is not so much a sugar addict as I am, though he does love bread and since all carbohydrates are equal here I want to make sure it's not a rewarding system kicking in for him. I'm more concerned about breaking that habit. I'm thinking after week two we can introduce fruits back into (his) meal plan. I want this more then anything right now. To learn how to eat right again and get myself into a healthy place without subjecting my body to any more confused messages/signals.

Georgie

You've got the meal template correct, except for the fruit.

Fruit is optional. 1-2 servings a day, where a serving is the size of your fist. If you have fruit, have it with or immediately after a meal. 

Snacks are discouraged, and are usually a sign that you need to increase your portions at earlier meals. If you are truly hungry between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal containing protein and fat.

@GFChris Thanks so much for clarifying the snacking for me. It's exactly what I thought, I just got confused with snacking mentioned in the book as well as some of the forums. 

1/15/14 Meals: Day 3

M1: 2 Burger patties (him), 2 Fried eggs (her), spinach & broccoli (both) & 1/2 grapefruit (him)

M2: Lobster (him), pork belly (her), spinach salad, tomato, olives w/ a splash of vin/evol,roasted brussel sprouts (her) & 1/2 grapefruit (him)

M3: Sautéed chicken breast topped with bruschetta & spinach salad with tomato, orange pepper, olives w/ a splash of vin/evol

1/16/14 Meals: Day 4

M1: 2 Burger patties (him), 2 Fried eggs (her), spinach & broccoli (both) & 1/2 grapefruit (him)

M2:  Lobster (him), Pork belly (her), spinach salad, tomato, olives w/ a splash of vin/evol, roasted brussel sprouts (her) & 1/2 Grapefruit (him)

M3: Slow roasted rhicken with carrots and a spinach salad, tomato, olives w/ a splash of vin/evol

1/18/14 Meals: Day 6

M1: 2 Burger patties (him), 3 scrambled eggs (her) and sweet potato hash

M2: Chicken with arugula cashew pesto, kale salad with tomato, olives, splash of vin/evol

M3: Spagetti squash with sautéed scallops in garlic aioli 

Hooray we made it through week 1. 

We feel amazing!

1/19/21 Meals: Day 7 

M1: 2 Burger patties (him), 3 scrambled eggs (her) and sweet potato hash

M2: Burgers and a Spinach, tomato, olive and pepper salad with a splash vin/evol, 1/2 grapefruit (him)

M3: Asian Meatballs and a Arugula, olives, pepper, tomato salad with a splash of vin/evol, 1/2 grapefruit (him)

Beginning week 2

1/20/14 Meals: Day 8

M1: 2 Burger patties (him), 3 scrambled eggs (her) and sweet potato hash

M2: Cashew chicken & broccoli, 1/2 grapefruit (him)

M3: Slow roaster pulled chicken, Spinach, tomato, olive and pepper salad with a splash vin/evol, handful strawberries (him)

It's obvious that our breakfast of choice is consistently the same... we love it and haven't gotten tired of eating the same thing, in fact we look forward to it.  What's really great is that Jeff is helping with cooking which is a huge turn around in the kitchen, he normally chops and cleans up. I think the whole cooking process was a little intimidating for him since he was never a cooker, however he's beginning to participate more in making meals.  A lot of good things are happening with the change in our new food lifestyle, the obvious weight loss, new thought process of healthier, happier, more positive and energetic and were creating new exciting adventures. We're liking this. A lot. Swoon!

1/21/14 Meals: Day 9

M1: 2 Burger patties (him), 2 scrambled eggs (her) and sweet potato hash

M2: Slow roaster pulled chicken, Spinach, tomato, olive and pepper salad with a splash vin/evol, handful strawberries (him)

M3: Grilled Chicken with roasted broccoli and Spinach, tomato, olive and pepper salad with a splash vin/evol

1/22/14 Meals: Day 10

M1: 2 Burger patties (him), 2 scrambled eggs (her) and sweet potato hash

M2: Lobster and shrimp salad with a paleo mayo on a bed of baby spinach salad with fresh herbs.

​M3: Cashew chicken with cauliflower rice, 1/2 grapefruit (him)

1/23/14 Meals: Day 11

M1: 2 Burger patties (him), 2 eggs (her) and sweet potato hash

M2: Balsamic glazed chicken breast, broccoli & arugula salad, tomato, olives w/ a splash of vin/evol

M3: Roasted Chicken with root veggies, 1/2 grapefruit (him)

1/24/14 Meals: Day 12

M2: Shrimp stuffed portabella mushrooms with a side of salad.

M3: Beef bourguignon with sweet potatoes, 1/2 grapefruit (him)

1/25/14 Meals: Day 13

M2: Balsamic glazed chicken breast, broccoli & arugula salad, tomato, olives w/ a splash of vin/evol, 1/2 grapefruit (him)

M3: Lobster and shrimp salad with a paleo mayo on a bed of baby spinach salad with fresh herbs.

1/26/14 Meals: Day 14

M2: Burger (him), steak (her), sautéed zucchini (both), 1/2 grapefruit (him)

M3: Lobster salad on a bed of spinach, 1/2 grapefruit (him)

The last week. Though, I'm considering keeping the momentum going, perhaps not the whole 30 but definitely paleo menu.

12/27/14 Meals: Day 15

M1: Burger patties (him), eggs baked in avocado (her), and sweet potato hash.

M2: Lobster salad (him), Shrimp salad (here), spinach veggie salad.

M3: Chicken fingers, baked sweet potato fries and mixed herb salad.

12/28/14 Meals: Day 16

M2: Balsamic chicken and spinach veggie salad

M3: Zucchini noodles with pesto shrimp and arugula salad

12/29/14 Meals: Day 17

M2: Balsamic chicken and baby greens salad

​M3: Asian meatballs and sweet potato mash

12/30/14 Meals: Day 18

M2: Chicken fingers and broccoli

M3: Lobster salad (him), Shrimp salad (here), spinach veggie salad

12/31/14 Meals: Day 19

M1: Burger patties (him), eggs baked in avocado (her), and sweet potato hash

M2: Asian meatballs with spinach salad.

M3: Roast beef mixed salad.

2/1/14 Meals: Day 20

M2: Wings and salad

M3: Burgers and salad

2/2/14 Meals: Day 21

M2: Roasted chicken and broccoli

M3: Chicken fingers and mixed salad with baked sweet potato fries.

2/3/14 Meals: Day 22

M1: Burger patties (him), eggs (her), and sweet potato hash

M2: Lobster salad with arugula tomato & olive salad

M3: Shrimp scampi with zucchini noodles

2/4/14 Meals: Day 23

M2: Cashew chicken with broccoli

M3: Chili lettuce wraps with baked sweet potato fries 

2/5/14 Meals: Day 24

M2: Chili soup and fresh strawberries

M3: Roasted chicken with asparagus

2/6/14 Meals: Day 25

M1: Burger patties (him), eggs baked in avocados (her), and sweet potato hash

M2: Coconut chicken soup

M3: Burgers with baked sweet potato fries

2/7/14 Meals: Day 26

M1: Burger patties (him), eggs & chicken apple sausage (her), and sweet potato hash

M2: Shrimp salad

M3: Sweet potato noodle strips with pesto shrimp

2/8/14 Meals: Day 27

M1: Burger patties (him), eggs & chicken apple sausage (her), and sweet potato hash

M2: Zucchini noodles with grilled chicken 

M3: Grilled chicken and salad

M1: Burger patties (him), eggs & chicken apple sausage (her), and sweet potato hash

M3: Grilled chicken and salad

2/9/14 Meals: Day 28

M1: Burger patties (him), eggs (her), and sweet potato hash

M2: Grilled chicken with salad

M3: Lobster salad

2/10/14 Meals: Day 29

M1: Burger patties (him), eggs (her), and sweet potato hash

M3: Chicken fingers and broccoli 

M1: Burger patties (him), eggs (her), and sweet potato hash

M2: Lobster salad

M3: Balsamic chicken and salad

Hooray! - Finished the whole 30.  We're sticking to the plan because we really enjoy eating like this. This lifestyle is a keeper.  So happy I discovered the Whole30 program. Thank you.

Archived