Rena's Whole 30

Rena

Day One.  I've seen plenty of Day 1's, but never a Day 30.  I'm 46 years old with 3 kids (14, 12, and 7).  I weigh more now than I ever did with any of my pregnancy's...... I've had many come-to-Jesus moments but none as powerful as the Sugar Beast within.  My most recent scare is some inflammatory processes that are nagging me.  Here's hoping that an online log will keep me honest and on-track:

Breakfast: leftovers of flank steak, brussel sprouts, beets

Lunch: deli chicken (sure hope there was no sugar!), salad bar veggies, olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Dinner: Jerk chicken, red cabbage with mayo/vinegar, sauteed vegetables, a spear of mango and a spear of pineapple

I've been experiementing with Paleo for about 2 years and own every Paleo cookbook known to man.  Right now I'm trying to just focus on Well Fed 1 and Well Fed 2.

I feel better without eggs, and nuts just aren't a good idea for me.

I walked hills for an hour today and will try to do that every day for the duration.

I slept a little over 6 hours last night.  This is another area that needs attention, perhaps even more than the food.  Speaking of which, gotta hit the hay.....

Lunch: deli chicken (sure hope there was no sugar!), salad bar veggies, olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Deli chicken is tricky to find compliant. Besides sugar, the big culprit you want to watch for is carrageenan. Is there a way you can check the ingredients of what you ate?

Chris, thank you.  I called Central Market today regarding the deli chicken, and we're good.  There were only 5 ingredients, all spices that I have on my own shelves.  Whew.

Wow, I ate a lot today.  Three meals and two snacks:

Middle-of-the-night snack because I woke up hungry t 2:00 a.m.: red cabbage dressed with mayo and vinegar, 1 1/2 oz jerk chicken, couple bites of pineapple............. thought I had kicked this overnight habit!  Last night's dinner had plenty of volume.  Must have been a fluke.

Breakfast: 4 oz jerk chicken and 1 1/2 cups leftover sauteed veggies (red peppers, green beans, carrots, olive oil)

Lunch:  4 oz "BBQ" chicken prepared with Well Fed's BBQ sauce, 4 oz beets, 10 macadamia nuts

Afternoon snack:  strawberries, grapes, 1 1/2 oz chicken, 5 macadamia nuts

Dinner:  4 oz chicken, bowl of cream of asparagus soup (no cream, used homeade bone broth and fresh vegetables), 5 oz cubed yams roasted in 1 tablespoon coconut oil, a handful of fresh berries, a sprig of broccoli

Sleep: I was planning on sleeping from 11:30 to 7:30, but woke up hungry (once) and woke up a couple more times due to my 7 year-old setting his alarm clock to another time zone.

Exercise: I walked hills for an hour, lifted some weights for a few minutes.  While walking, I listened to Sarah Fragoso and Jason Seib's podcast instead of making phone calls.  Learned a TON!  Most notably:  I need to move my 8-hour sleep window up a couple hours.  Going to bed so late, even if I'm hoping to get 8 hours of sleep, will still mess with one's metabolism.

So there's that.  Time to hit the hay.

Just confirming - you're not weighing food are you?  The meal template is your guide to portion sizes: 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of vegetables, and the appropriate amount of compliant fat at every meal. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Snack should be a mini-meal containing a protein and fat.  For example, you would've been good with just the chicken and nuts.  Save your 1-2 daily fruit servings to have with or immediately after one of your main meals.

If you're hungry between meals, you might try upping the protein portions in your meals to see if that helps.

Day Three

Breakfast: pork roast, grapes, asparagus soup

Lunch: pork roast salad: pork, spinach, mixed greens, leftover broccoli, olive oil, balsamic vinegar

Snack: small Primal Pac

Dinner: pork roast, asparagus soup, broccoli, baked yams, macadamia nuts

Exercise: a track workout with a trainer.

Sleep: Not exactly sure. Went to bed at 10:00 and got up at 7:30, but was up often and for extended periods of time. At least I wasn't hungry.

Chris, thanks so much for your feedback. Yes, sometimes I weigh my foods to make sure I'm getting enough. Particularly the protein and the fat. I'm not a slave to the scale, but if I'm waffling about how much a palm-size is, I'll use the scale. It's always in front of me because a family member has Type 1 diabetes (my 12-year old) and we often weigh his food for accurate carb counting and insulin dosing. That said, I will try to be more cognizant of the meal planner because not every meal I eat is in my own kitchen.

Great feedback about snacks, too. Thank you!

Rena

Day Four.

Breakfast: pork roast, broccoli, macadamia nuts

Lunch: salad of pork roast, spinach, mixed greens, celery, handful of grapes, 2 tbs olive oil, balsamic vinegar

Dinner: Asparagus soup, pork roast, red pepper, pineapple, roasted yams, macadamia nuts

Snack at bedtime: Steve's beef jerkey and macadamia nuts

Exercise:  light walking for 45 minutes

Sleep: about 7 hours: 10pm to 2am, then 4am to 7am

Wishing I hadn't bought an 8-pound pork roast. 

Good night.

Day Five.

Breakfast: Tuna Salad with Well Fed mayo, plus seasonings, over spinach with celery and a few grapes 

Lunch: Paleo Kit (coconut, beef jerkey, dried strawberries) and a cup of frozen strawberries

Snack: Olives, cucumbers, snap peas

Dinner: Chili (ATK's recipe, omitted beans), red cabbage with mayo dressing, pineapple

Exercise: couldn't happen because I tweaked my Achilles.

Sleep: about 6 hours, the best part is that it was 6 hours straight (from 11pm to 5 am)

Good night.

Day Five.

Breakfast: Tuna Salad with Well Fed mayo, plus seasonings, over spinach with celery and a few grapes 

Lunch: Paleo Kit (coconut, beef jerkey, dried strawberries) and a cup of frozen strawberries

Snack: Olives, cucumbers, snap peas

Dinner: Chili (ATK's recipe, omitted beans), red cabbage with mayo dressing, pineapple

Exercise: couldn't happen because I tweaked my Achilles.

Sleep: about 6 hours, the best part is that it was 6 hours straight (from 11pm to 5 am)

Good night.

Breakfast and dinner look good.

Lunch didn't meet the template. Don't let fruit push veggies off your plate. 

Day Six.

Not feeling so well today. Happy not to cook much and mostly eat leftovers, however redundant.

Breakfast: chili, red cabbage salad

Lunch: jerk chicken, roasted vegetables (zucchini, pepers, mushrooms, onions), and a handful of macadamias

Snack: jerk chicken, handful macadamias

Dinner: leftover chili, red cabbage salad, macadamias, and a banana

Exercise: Didn't.

Sleep: about 8 hours, not all at once

Day Seven

Feeling better today, but lacking energy.

Breakfast: chili, red cabbage salad

Lunch: beef jerky, cauliflower soup, macadamia nuts, pears

Dinner:  salmon over spinach and mixed greens, home-made sauerkraut, kalamata olives, olive oil, vinegar

Snack: macadamia nuts

Exercise: Didn't.

Sleep:  Not entirely sure.  My daughter swiped my UP band.

It really helps to post.  Otherwise I would have skipped dinner............ which is a recipe for overnight disaster. 

Day Eight

A bit more energy today......

Breakfast: roasted chicken, sauteed green beans, carrots, peppers, onions, baked brussel sprouts, half an avocado

Lunch: identical to breakfast, but add a couple grapes and a couple slices apple from my son's snack

Dinner: jerk chicken, roasted yams, a spoonful of coconut oil, cauliflower soup, banana

Exercise: didn't. My achilles is getting better, however.

Sleep: Went to bed at 10, got up at 6. Woke up a couple times but didn't have to get up out of bed.

I strained about 4 gallons of bone broth today, a huge batch I started on Sunday.

Chris, thank you for your note about carb-dense vegetables. I will eat a few more yams tomorrow.

Day NIne

Nope, no return of energy. I'm tired of chewing muscle fiber, too tired to face the overflowing produce delivery at my front door, and disappointed with myself for not being able to resist macadamia nuts. (I thought I'd try to avoid nuts for a while and see if my energy returned. That lasted about 36 hours).

Breakfast: chicken, yams, coconut oil

Lunch: chicken, cauliflower soup, macadamias

Dinner: beef broth, banana, macadamia nuts (not in that order, not according to meal template, and not willingly...... I really wanted a Zing protein bar which may as well be candy)

Tomorrow morning I will start my day with sugar-free bacon and eggs. I'm a little sensitive to egg whites, but I just can't face that flank steak in my fridge that's all seasoned and waiting to be seared.

Both of my middle school kids came home with recipes a.k.a. "assignments" for school projects. One is just a 3-D model of a plant cell, made of gelatin. The other is a French pastry, which might be tempting but there's no chocolate in it. Grateful for that, but I'm really tired of how much time I've been spending in the kitchen. Ideally, as a family, we should be eating 25 servings of fruits/vegetables a day. That's a huge time commitment and I'm still coming to terms with it as I simultaneously try to deep clean my house before our trip to Palm Springs. (Which is scheduled to begin on Day 31, or thereabouts). So I'm committed to seeing this Whole30 through. But things may get messy.

I'm also getting to that point where I have a bunch of already-prepared food to finish up before I can change it up with fun new stuff. Soup and chicken and the same 2 breakfasts I've rotated through since Day 1. Sigh. My Day 31 is Valentines. Failure's just not an option when you have something special planned immediately after a Whole30, right?

Day Ten

Breakfast: bacon, egg, banana

Snack: fruit cup from Starbucks (caught unprepared while running errands)

Lunch: flank steak, beets, half an avocado

Dinner: flank steak over spinach/mixed greens with black olives, olive oil, vinegar, pineapple, mango

Exercise: track workout with a trainer, still nursing a strained achilles (on the bright side, what DOESN'T hurt is my knees. :-)

Sleep: Asleep by 10:30, awake by 1:30, took a Unisom and slept till 5:30..... improvement is slow.

The cravings pop up unexpectedly. Like Pavlov's dog, after a certain number of errands I expect to sit and relax for a few minutes with something treat-like from Starbucks. Same thing after a certain amount of cleaning. My brain expects some sort of reward.

True dat, Chocoholic382

Day Eleven

Breakfast: flank steak, yams, coconut oil

Lunch: Paleo Kit (jerky, dried fruit, nuts) and 2 cups raw peppers and carrots

Dinner: flank steak over raw spinach, mixed greens, beets, half an avocado, olive oil, vinegar

Exercise: no

Sleep: at least 8 hours, not continuous, but slowly improving

Thanks, Chris, for the friendly vegetable reminder.

Day Twelve

Breakfast: bacon, eggs, 2 cucumbers seasoned with mayo, dill

Lunch: on-the-go taco meat, half an avocado, salsa, black olives

Dinner: taco salad: spinach and lettuce topped with taco meat, avocado, salsa; also brussel sprouts, pineapple, mango

Snack: PaleoKrunch as I type this

Sleep: 8 hours, the only disruption was getting up at 3:00 to check my son's blood sugar

Really missing red wine today. 

Day Twelve

Breakfast: bacon, eggs, 2 cucumbers seasoned with mayo, dill

Lunch: on-the-go taco meat, half an avocado, salsa, black olives

Dinner: taco salad: spinach and lettuce topped with taco meat, avocado, salsa; also brussel sprouts, pineapple, mango

Snack: PaleoKrunch as I type this

Sleep: 8 hours, the only disruption was getting up at 3:00 to check my son's blood sugar

Really missing red wine today. 

What are the ingredients in the PaleoKrunch? If it's from Steve's Paleo Goods, per their website, it contains honey, which is not allowed on a Whole30.

Well, crud. Thank you, Chris, for pointing out that PaleoKrunch indeed lists honey as an ingredient. Technically, I should start all over, right? I can't do that until late February, so I'm going to keep going forward, if for no other reason that to practice practice practice the vigilance it takes to eat this way. Plus, I'm afraid if I start over, I'm going to see it as a window to cheat for a couple days before re-starting. And I just can't go there.

Day Thirteen

Breakfast: tuna (with olive oil and acceptable seasonings), zucchini, yellow squash, onions

Lunch: chicken, yams, coconut oil

Dinner: steak, broccoli, red peppers

Exercise: nope

Sleep: 8 hours, but at least 2 interruptions (bathroom, high blood sugar alarm)

Well, crud. Thank you, Chris, for pointing out that PaleoKrunch indeed lists honey as an ingredient. Technically, I should start all over, right? I can't do that until late February, so I'm going to keep going forward, if for no other reason that to practice practice practice the vigilance it takes to eat this way. Plus, I'm afraid if I start over, I'm going to see it as a window to cheat for a couple days before re-starting. And I just can't go there.

Day Thirteen

Breakfast: tuna (with olive oil and acceptable seasonings), zucchini, yellow squash, onions

Lunch: chicken, yams, coconut oil

Dinner: steak, broccoli, red peppers

Sleep: 8 hours, but at least 2 interruptions (bathroom, high blood sugar alarm)

No, accidentally having honey doesn't require a restart. Set aside the PaleoKrunch for the rest of your Whole30. I'd recommend delaying reintroducing sugar for 30 days, so you have 30 consecutive sugar-free days.

Day Fourteen

Breakfast: pork shoulder, broccoli, blueberries

Lunch: pork shoulder, beets, olives

Dinner: pork shoulder, Brussels sprouts, avocado/tomatillo salsa

Sleep: 7 1/2 hours but I didn't go to bed until midnight because I stayed up to watch the Grammys

Dates to look forward to: February 13th is Day 31 for everything but sugar; February 25th is Day 31 for sugar

Day Fifteen

Breakfast: bacon, egg, sautéed spinach

Lunch: pork, red cabbage slaw (with mayo and guacamole

Dinner: pork, cucumber salad, broccoli, banana and pineapple

Sleep, 7 1/2 hours, woke up once

Archived