Day 18 and suddenly very cranky and irritable

J9Nunez

I started 18 days ago and have been feeling great. I'm sleeping better, have a lot more energy and am uber productive in my work. I am super cranky though. I started feeling it yesterday and it is much worse today. Maybe it's a craving in disguise? Not eating enough of something? Anyone else have mood related issues? It has been eye opening reading labels everytime I try to buy something but also frustrating. I went to Whole Foods today to buy lunch on the fly (couldn't stomach another salad) and could not find ONE thing in their prepared food section that I could eat. So... after day 18, physically I feel great but psychologically I am cranky, frustrated, bored and I really miss wine.

My husband has been very irritable. I think it's the lack of carbs, not being able to eat just ANYTHING. Being disciplined has its benefits though. Focus on the positives and also joeys much more aware that you are of what you are putting in your body. You will be able to have wine again, but just in moderation. Just remember to always think about what you are eating and if it's worth it. :) you'll get through it, when you reintroduce just remember to see how you feel as you eat those things. That will help you determine what will feel better.

I'm finishing up Day 8 and felt like that, too, all day -- more tired and fatigued than irritable, though --, but I just said to myself that it's (hopefully) only for today that I'm feeling this way and that it will pass; I just have to be like a stone in the middle of a stream, just let the feelings of fatigue and distress pass through me, like the water around the stone. Bad feelings are not permanent; they will pass.

When I start to feel a little punky I ask myself. "is this really whole30 related (ie; a craving or detox type process) or would I have had a day or two where I felt cranky and grumpy and not so chipper not matter what?". Sometimes the answer is, "yup, this is the whole30 talking" and others it is "nope, I would have felt like a flying pile of poo no matter what". Sometimes, we are just going to have a bad day and feel off no matter what. The upside is while we will still be cranky, we will be much healthier while in our funk :).

I have to wonder if there is some sort of internal clock in our bodies that knows we are past the half way point in this whole30 adventure. We made it to about day 21 when we both had a case of the cranks and craves. It was annoying. I wanted dessert and a martini. My husband offered to buy me both at our local favorite restaurant! I smacked him upside the head (not really...but thought about it!) and said NO! We have made it this far. We are not going to give into this craving. Imagine how much crankier we would have been waking up on day 22 after going off plan! So, like juju said in her post-it might just be a flying poo kind of day no matter what~hang in there! :)

If you need to do a quick lunch thing at Whole Foods again, see if they have their roast beef in the deli section. It is sooo good, and is just roast beef, salt, and herbs. You could get some of that, some fresh veggies, and an avocado or some nuts, and you've got lunch!

I'm on Day 18 too, and wasn't necessarily cranky last night, but sort of feeling a bit tired of cooking/planning and just wanted to order a pizza and open a bottle of wine. I had what basically what I listed above (roast beef, raw cauliflower, coconut flakes, dates) - not fancy, but definitely quick and easy for those nights you just do not want to (or don't have time to) cook.

Archived