Potato Mishap - Require a re-start?

RaZella

I completed a Whole30 last year and the hubs and I felt so FANTASTIC afterwards, we decided to do another Whole30 this January. 

My bad = I did not re-read the book or ALL the program rules prior to January 1st. I "skimmed". 
The result = today as I was updating my blog for my half-way status in this Whole30, I was going back over the program details and saw that White Potatoes is a NO go. 

The situation = yesterday I bought small red potatoes to go in what I thought was a Whole30 stew/soup we were making to share with family. I also added a few to a turkey soup I made for later in the week. Now that I'm thinking back, I think in the beginning of January we made the same stew with the same potatoes in it. Which means at least twice now I've eaten a "no" food. 

Does this mean I can no longer say I'm doing a true Whole30 and must re-start from scratch? Or if I just remove the potato chunks when I eat my stew/soup can I keep going for this 30 day? I normally do not eat white potatoes ANYWAY, but the hubs, alas, he wanted them in the stew instead of just sweet potato with all the other veggies and I didn't check the rules before just going along with it. 

Thanks. 

Totally up to you.  No one is holding you accountable for this but yourself.  White potatoes are banned, yes, but the only problem they are causing is taking up room on your plate (or bowl) that could otherwise be occupied by more nutrient-dense food.  It was an accident, so if it were me, I'd brush it off and just keep on doing my thing. :D

• Moderators

I know exactly where you are coming from. I skimmed the Whole30 guidelines when I started in May, 2010 and was several weeks in before I reread them and noticed I should not have been eating white potatoes. I had been having white potatoes cooked with green beans from a hot food bar in a Greek restaurant at lunch. I kept going and my Whole30 was a great success. I stopped eating white potatoes for the next several years too because I really wanted to do it right.  :)

You would be fine to keep going. Consider this a lesson learned.

Ok, thanks so much! Last time we did Whole30, we pretty much by the end of the year went back to most of our old eating habits. This year we want to do Whole30, and then really make it more of a life long change than just a 30 day change because we know now just HOW much better we feel and how much better our health is for it! (Fifteen days in, my husband has already lost weight and his A1C's are down. He had to weigh in cause of his doc visit, but I'm glad he did, got him all re-energized to commit to lifestyle changes). Ok, going to keep going strong for this round two and no more white potatoes for awhile for this Whole30er! ^_^

Archived