My Whole 30 journal

abaunzad

This is my first Whole 30 :)

Since I didn't get on here until now, I skipped logging my first 2 days, BUT I remember them well enough so I can jot it down. 

Day ONE: The first day was Monday, and just like any Monday I was dragging. BUT since I couldn't get my starbucks latte I just did green tea with no sweetener. I woke up with an upset stomach (one of the main reasons I am on this diet), so the thought of eating eggs with bacon was NOT pleasing. Still I did, and I realized then that I had failed to plan a good vegetable for breakfast. So I was hungry fairly quickly afterward. I had to eat the apple I brought as a snack. For lunch I ate cooked shrimp with salad and zucchini. Not too long afterward I was starving again, so I ate some grapes. Then that was it until I got home. At home I had a better meal with some ground beef, salad, and zucchini. 

Day ONE Feelings: So I quickly realized that I need to fill up on more veggies. Not only cuz I know it'll help hold me over to the next meal, but also because I NEED them to feel better. But I did realize that my tum is not feeling so well. I'm used to that but thought i wouldn't have the regular stomach pains. Still I feel optimistic.

Day TWO: This is fairly similar to day one except I added avocado and sweet potato to my breakfast. I was still hungry in between but nothing like the first day. I think it's just going to take me getting used to 3 meals, than what I used to do before. Lunch was grilled chicken with grilled veggies and a salad. And dinner was the leftover shrimp with broccoli.

Day TWO Feelings: I still felt stomach pain and queasiness which I can't decide if it's because I'm eating richer fats and making me have indigestion or I'm just in the hangover phase. I know this will help me but I can see that it is going to be a LOT of work. I've also decided I'm going to forgo even the good bacon since I feel like I'm going to get tired of it really fast.  

Today is Day 3. 

So far, it's been okay. I woke up still with some stomach discomfort. But I dragged myself to work and ate egg, avocado and banana. That's been okay and I've been drinking tons of water to make sure I keep the hunger at bay. I'll have to post tomorrow to see how the rest of the day goes.

One thing is for sure, I can't wait for my headaches and stomachaches to go away. :) 

Welcome!

You are right - you need more veggies. :) Aim for 1-3 cups per meal, and don't let fruit push veggies off your plate.

When you have egg as your protein, the serving size is the number of eggs you can hold in your hand. That's at least 2-3 eggs for most people.

OKAY!!!

So glad to say that I am now on DAY 9 and feeling good! Well, mostly good. 

As I look at my last post I notice that I was having stomach pain after most of my meals, but it seems that has gone away, so YAY! Small victory. BUT that doesn't mean all my "symptoms" have gone. I actually am now NOT going to the bathroom at all aka constipation. Grr. So, I'm just going to wait it out, not going to do any extreme laxative taking or anything like that. 

I do feel better just overall with my health however, for the last 2-3 days I have felt HUGE, like if I am gaining weight instead of losing any. I have not gotten on the scale though, thankfully, because the scale has never been good to tell me if I'm losing weight or just water weight. I normally just listen to my body. And in this case, my body is feeling very very fat. I am not much in this to lose weight, but I didn't think i was going to gain weight either!! Boo. 

One thing I have been wondering is about is meal planning. I thought I was doing an okay job at it, but in reading some other forum comments, i have been confused. We are supposed to eat: 1-2 palm sized protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, a fat and occasional fruit. If I cook/ saute my veggies in ghee, does this count as my fat, or do I need to add some nuts or an avocado to the meal to count as a fat??  I cook my food in approved oil like coconut oil, but can this count as my fat for the meal?? Also, does sweet potato count as a veggie?? I have eaten quite a few and I am wondering if this is hindering my weight loss....

Thanks! 

One thing I have been wondering is about is meal planning. I thought I was doing an okay job at it, but in reading some other forum comments, i have been confused. We are supposed to eat: 1-2 palm sized protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, a fat and occasional fruit. If I cook/ saute my veggies in ghee, does this count as my fat, or do I need to add some nuts or an avocado to the meal to count as a fat??  I cook my food in approved oil like coconut oil, but can this count as my fat for the meal?? Also, does sweet potato count as a veggie?? I have eaten quite a few and I am wondering if this is hindering my weight loss....

Thanks! 

That fat you use to cook/saute in - most of that stays in the pan and doesn't end up on your plate.  So, take that into account with meal planning, and have some additional fat handy to add after cooking, for those situations.

And yes, sweet potato is a veggie. What's "quite a few"? 

Have you seen the Whole30 timeline?  Sounds like you're right on track. http://whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/  Have faith that the bloat will dissipate.  If you're really uncomfortable, try digestive enzymes or having fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi and kombucha.

Awesome!! Thanks for the info. 

For me, quite a few sweet potatoes means 1 sweet pot. every one-two days...Doesn't seem like a lot when I write it here but those things are big and all those carbs..lol

I feel good today, although the timeline says that I should be wanting to quit since it is my day 10, I don't feel that way at all! I'm encouraged and can't wait to start feeling even better! I remember last week when I first started I was starving. Thankfully I'm not anymore! I do get hungry but i'm able to hold out til my meals and it's nothing like the first week. 

So, success for my day 10! Can't wait til day 12-13 when the bloating will go down and i'll feel more energized! 

Awesome!! Thanks for the info. 

For me, quite a few sweet potatoes means 1 sweet pot. every one-two days...Doesn't seem like a lot when I write it here but those things are big and all those carbs..lol

I feel good today, although the timeline says that I should be wanting to quit since it is my day 10, I don't feel that way at all! I'm encouraged and can't wait to start feeling even better! I remember last week when I first started I was starving. Thankfully I'm not anymore! I do get hungry but i'm able to hold out til my meals and it's nothing like the first week. 

So, success for my day 10! Can't wait til day 12-13 when the bloating will go down and i'll feel more energized! 

You could eat more sweet potatoes if you wanted - I average 1 a day.

Glad you're feeling better! Enjoy the ride!

Archived