Do I need to eat red meat?

Carmohr

Hello,

I am wondering if you think it's necessary to eat red meat while on the Whole30? I eat chicken, pork, fish, eggs, and nuts. This is coming off of being a vegetarian for 30 years - I just can't bring myself to eat red meat.

I am on day 20 of my Whole30 and am extremely low energy - I am normally a very high energy person. My energy has been lower for two weeks now.

I eat plenty of healthy fats and plenty of carbohydrates in the form of sweet potatoes and other veggies and fruits. And I've been eating plenty in general (not weighing myself, but can tell I haven't lost any weight at all).

Acid reflux symptoms have improved, which was my primary motivation in doing this, but I'm pretty discouraged by how I feel otherwise at the moment. I have yet to have days where I feel better on Whole30 than I did before it. I am not negative on the program - I see what it does for others - but personally disappointed in some aspects although thankful acid reflux seems to be improving (my biggest concern!).

I just wondered if you need to eat red meat to sustain energy on this? I've been eating plenty of the ones I listed.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Caryn

I'm thinking you don't necessarily need red meat, since you seem to be getting a decent amount of protein from other sources.

How about posting 2-3 days worth of your food log, including portions, so folks can give you feedback?

Other thoughts:

- What kinds of exercise, if any, do you do and how often/intense? (e.g., cardio, strength, CrossFit, other)

- How many hours of sleep are you getting every night?

- Are you staying sufficiently hydrated? Aim for drinking water, in the amount of at least half your body weight, daily.

Bkfst - 2 eggs, asparagus, banana

Lunch - porkchop, sweet potato chips made from large sweet potato w/olive oil, kombucha

Dinner - chicken breast, kale chips w/ olive oil, bowl of tomato soup made w/ coconut milk

Snack - lemon Larabar & packet of 100% pure almond butter

Bkfst - 2 eggs, large serving fajita peppers cooked w/ olive oil, kombucha

Lunch - Pulled chicken (leftovers), fajita peppers, lettuce, guacamole

Dinner - porkchop, rest of plate filled with broccoli

Snack - packet of 100% pure coconut butter, apple

Those are pretty typical days. The past several I do not feel good about. I've been eating more than that due to low energy - eating too many sweet potato chips, Larabars, packets of coconut butter or nut butter to try to help myself feel better because I'm just exhausted. I also have hormonal issues playing into it, but it typically doesn't go on this long. I eat as much as I want to eat at meals, but have not been able to go without snacks.

My exercise is not excessive. I've been maybe low-level swimming for an hour (much less rigorous than normal due to no energy), or a 3-mile run (that would typically be a 6-mile run), or not exercising at all somedays which is kind of unheard of for me.

Again, I'm seeing improvements with the acid reflux, and have hormones playing into this, but it's been two weeks now that I've been struggling with some of this other stuff, even after intentionally adding in more fats like packets of coconut butter and a good serving of guac with meals or as a snack.

I think I'm drinking enough water because I've needed to go to the bathroom more than usual.

I am sleeping normally.

I'm looking into digestive enzymes in case it could be partly related to my body not being used to this much meat. I'm a little disappointed that being off sugar hasn't helped with the PMS, and it's been worse this time. Thanks for any thoughts.

Your meals look good. Maybe experiment with upping the eggs to 3 at breakfast?

Some thoughts:

- have at least one carb-dense vegetable daily

- if you still feel like you need a snack, make it a mini-meal including a protein and fat.

- Have your fruit as part of or immediately after your meals - not as part of a snack.

- Limit the Larabars to emergency food only - not as a standard snack.

I have 3 thoughts:

1 - Eat a larger first meal including an added fat. A palm sized serving of eggs is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand. I usually have 3-4. Cooking oil does not count towards you fat serving on the food template unless you are pouring it all on your plate. I think your other two meals are a good size but it is hard to tell. 

2 - If you must have a snack make it a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetable. Nuts and nut butters are a fat source for the purpose of W30. Keep your fruit servings for meal times not snacks. Larabars are emergency food and should be a last ditch effort.

3 - Swimming for an hour doesn't seem strenuous but I've found that it makes me very tired. Though it isn't high aerobic you are putting your muscles through a lot to move through that water. You might try adding a post workout meal (lean protein and starchy vegetable) after your swim to see if that helps. This is an extra meal.

Hello,

I am wondering if you think it's necessary to eat red meat while on the Whole30? I eat chicken, pork, fish, eggs, and nuts. This is coming off of being a vegetarian for 30 years - I just can't bring myself to eat red meat.

I am on day 20 of my Whole30 and am extremely low energy - I am normally a very high energy person. My energy has been lower for two weeks now.

I eat plenty of healthy fats and plenty of carbohydrates in the form of sweet potatoes and other veggies and fruits. And I've been eating plenty in general (not weighing myself, but can tell I haven't lost any weight at all).

Acid reflux symptoms have improved, which was my primary motivation in doing this, but I'm pretty discouraged by how I feel otherwise at the moment. I have yet to have days where I feel better on Whole30 than I did before it. I am not negative on the program - I see what it does for others - but personally disappointed in some aspects although thankful acid reflux seems to be improving (my biggest concern!).

I just wondered if you need to eat red meat to sustain energy on this? I've been eating plenty of the ones I listed.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Caryn

I think you are my long lost twin! This is exactly how I feel on this Whole30. I have trouble digesting red meat but I do eat it sometimes. I also take digestive enzymes because I don't have a gallbladder. The only slight improvement I have had during my 23 days of the Whole30 is with my acid reflux.

I hope the rest of it goes better for you! (I'm sorry we're twins this way, but at least on the acid reflux improvement front, too!)

I'm real encouraged about the acid reflux - a serious issue for me - but more discouraged about everything else than I might want to admit. I think I may have gained weight. I can't do normal activities due to the level of fatigue. I've had terrible const. issues. None of this is normal for me. I feel really blue right now because of it.

I've resorted to too many coconut butters, nut butters, sweet potatoes, larabars lately to try to lift myself, but for most of my 20 days on this I've really done it by the rules. I literally have a spreadsheet listing the rules for quick reference.

I feel like I'm at rock bottom emotionally for these other reasons, but not with the GERD. But I will take these suggestions and finish the remainder of my Whole30 as perfectly rule following as possible. I've been optimistic about there being a turnaround, but it's gotten harder to feel that way this far into it. I will do everything in my power to keep doing it as well as I possibly can to give it the maximum chance. It will be a success in my book for having helped the GERD, but I guess I want so much more than this...

I hope the rest of it goes better for you! (I'm sorry we're twins this way, but at least on the acid reflux improvement front, too!)

I'm real encouraged about the acid reflux - a serious issue for me - but more discouraged about everything else than I might want to admit. I think I may have gained weight. I can't do normal activities due to the level of fatigue. I've had terrible const. issues. None of this is normal for me. I feel really blue right now because of it.

I've resorted to too many coconut butters, nut butters, sweet potatoes, larabars lately to try to lift myself, but for most of my 20 days on this I've really done it by the rules. I literally have a spreadsheet listing the rules for quick reference.

I feel like I'm at rock bottom emotionally for these other reasons, but not with the GERD. But I will take these suggestions and finish the remainder of my Whole30 as perfectly rule following as possible. I've been optimistic about there being a turnaround, but it's gotten harder to feel that way this far into it. I will do everything in my power to keep doing it as well as I possibly can to give it the maximum chance. It will be a success in my book for having helped the GERD, but I guess I want so much more than this...

Ditto! The last whole30 that I did I was in the kill all stage for 26 days. I quit on day 26. This one is better than that but I agree with you, I haven't had any significant changes. I am wondering why I should give up chocolate and wine if I feel the same if I eat them or not. I have been taking pictures each week to see if I can tell the difference. So far day 1 and day 23 look the same. Very frustrating. Also my fat jeans are tight so that isn't a good sign. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Let me know how you feel on day 30 or before if a miracle happens to you.

I got my energy back. I hit rock bottom, stayed the course, and got my energy back! I'm on day 24 now. I've had no change in physical appearance, and I think in the back of my mind I hoped I might, but my reason for doing this was persistent acid reflux, and that has seen great improvements! Doing what I can to finish it out strong and plan for what I will and won't introduce, and how it (deeply) informs what I do from here on out...

Archived