August 1 Whole30 Start - buddies??

Pixiegirl

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So awesome to see so many of us starting on August 1st!!! Glad to see there will be a lot of us here to support one another. I'm 24 and have 3 weddings in the next 6 months so want to better my health and look awesome ha ha

I'm from Sydney, a post grad student and really excited/nervous about the next 30 days!!

I'm in too, and could use some moral support in battling the sugar demons. I've been eating basically Whole 30 at home but letting myself eat cookies and candy at work, and it's gotten kind of out of control. I'm ready to get back on track.

Hi All--

I am super excited about starting August 1st and am totally in for a buddy!

A little about me-- I am a graphic designer/illustrator from Pittsburgh and I've been Paleo-ish since June 2011 and love it. I have noticed lately that I've been having some serious sugar and baked-good cravings that I'd like to kick to the curb, though. I am getting married next year in St. Lucia and my fiance and I are already working our butts off to look and feel great by the time that rolls around, and I think this will really help jumpstart my progress.

One concern I'm having: I have been supplementing with BCAA powder for the last month or so and have really seen a lot of progress in terms of recovery time and strength building. The problem is, the powder itself is really, really, awfully, terribly bitter. The bottle *says* you can take mix it with water, but I honestly have no idea how anyone could manage it without gagging. I think they could use that stuff in place of charcoal to pump stomachs, it's THAT nasty. We've been taking it in 8 oz (x 2, 1 time pre-workout, 1 time post-workout, so 16 oz total per day) with Trader Joe's Chocolate Almond Milk, but seeing as sugar is not allowed at all on the Whole30, that's kind of out. Trying to figure out what my alternative might be before Wednesday rolls around!

I really look forward to following this board and managing through the hurdles. Good luck, guys!

Melissa

HI ladies! Changing habits that involve sugar is going to be the hardest thing for me. I just ate chocolate covered wafers bc i got stressed out/over hungry after a traffic-jammed trip home from cape cod. ugh. immediate guilt followed. anytime anyone gets an idea for battling the sugar demon, would love to hear. I signed up for the Whole Daily as I feel they offer great tips. The sample newsletter was about cravings and that seemed to help me a bit already. just emptied my fridge of all dairy and ordered those "Pure" wraps I keep hearing about that are made from coconut. I'm worried i'm going to get sick of coconut stuff, haha it seems to be the sub of choice for alot of stuff!

How are you all feeling leading up to Wednesday??

Hi everyone,

I'm also joining in on the August 1 Whole30. Signed up for the Daily which seems like it will be really helpful (especially on those days when I REALLY want to go rogue and eat off program).

Me: 3rd year grad student in clinical psychology. Student life was left me feeling a little less than *ahem* fit so I'm doing a major life reset in August which includes starting a crossfit program and doing the Whole30 (among other things).

Here's to US!

Ok Yes so glad coffee is ok!! I misunderstood the info. I've been reading about ppl putting coconut milk in coffee that sounds like it could be good. I can't do black coffee in the mornings!

Black coffee isnt too bad... but to make it even better! Try putting some cinnamon in with your grounds when you brew your coffee. Pretty amazing! It doesn't need anything else! I'm obsessed with cinnamon though. If you prefer nutmeg or allspice or pumpkin pie spice (they're all pretty similar), I'm sure it would be just as great!

I'm starting August 1st as well! I'm a future Olympic hopeful, and I'm really hoping the paleo eating plan will give me the leg up that nutrition can provide. I'm also using the Whole30 as an opportunity to form good habits in other areas I feel I need to work on: sleep, spirituality, self esteem, kindness, work quality, etc. I don't have much support from anyone but my strength coach, so I'm hoping this forum can give me some of that missing support :)

Good luck to everyone else starting on the first, and everyone in their furture or current challenges!

Lizzy M., SLC, UT

Howdy! (Any Aggies out there??)

I'll be jumping on board with y'all come Aug 1! I've been eating paleo-ish (seems to be a pretty common term) for about 2 years now. But, i'm still having some health issues and trouble getting into the athletic shape I want. So... I'm am hopeful this helps.

I'm ready to go all out here, but am pretty nervous. I'll be on vacation with the fam Aug 3-10 and they are not paleo. But, we're in a condo so I should be able to cook a ton.Then I start vet school (whoop!) Aug 20, so I'm anticipating stress and anxiety to be a trigger. I also tend to snack quite a bit while studying, so i'll have to find some other ways to keep my body busy while my mind is crankin' away.

Looking forward to keeping in touch with everyone as we embark on this live changing month (lifetime??) commitment :)

Sarah

Hi again! I just signed up for the WHOLE DAILY newsletter Whole9 just created, I think it is a great idea to help keep you on track- a daily "check-in" to remind you that every day counts. I have a hard time with sugar cravings too, and I get so frustrated when all of a sudden I just can't resist that dumb chocolate cookie that isn't very good anyway! I don't think my family gets what I am doing here with the Whole30, so having this online community to talk with is going to be so helpful. Is there an easier way for us all to communicate? email? facebook? I find it hard to keep up on forums sometimes....

We could do a facebook group for all those interested in some sort of buddy system/accountability.

Hi guys :) How are you doing? I'm getting more and more anxious about the whole Whole30 thing... But I hope I can do it. Food-wise my weekend was terrible. My disordered eating patterns got over me and it left me feeling crappy physically and even more so mentally... But it also left me more motivated than ever to push through the entire 30 days and give it my all. I hope after the 30 days are over, I will rule my food, not the other way round... This is my main reason for doing Whole30 - to establish a healthy relationship with food. That would be the first time in my adult life...

On another note, I tried to create a group on Facebook, but it asks me to add some members (duh!). So I guess we all need to "friend" on Facebook first if we want a group. I'm Magda Walędzik - if one of you finds me, pls add me as friend and we can have a bit more "direct" means of communication.

Hi guys :) How are you doing? I'm getting more and more anxious about the whole Whole30 thing... But I hope I can do it. Food-wise my weekend was terrible. My disordered eating patterns got over me and it left me feeling crappy physically and even more so mentally... But it also left me more motivated than ever to push through the entire 30 days and give it my all. I hope after the 30 days are over, I will rule my food, not the other way round... This is my main reason for doing Whole30 - to establish a healthy relationship with food. That would be the first time in my adult life...

I had a rough weekend too, with family that doesn't eat very healthy. tried to do my own thing but if we r all having dinner together it gets hard! esp when everyone goes out for frozen yogurt. ugh.

@Lizzy.maxx:

I can relate to not having family in this with you, no one in my family seems very interested in what I'm doing. my boyfriend, whom i live with, acknowledged what I was saying about the diet, so that is a step in the right direction. I do most of our cooking anyway so he will unknowingly be partially on the diet as well :P

Hang in there! we can do it!

Hi Liz! I'm glad there seems to be quite a few of us starting around the same time. I just started yesterday, and I'm excited to have a support forum here. I think we're all going to be surprised at how we feel at the end of this. Cheers, and good luck to you!

I'm re-starting on August 1st too (kind of starting today really)...my problem in the past is when I convince myself it's ok to have one teeny piece of dark chocolate and then.....it turns into a chocolate mess. sooo, no chocolate this time!

On another note, I tried to create a group on Facebook, but it asks me to add some members (duh!). So I guess we all need to "friend" on Facebook first if we want a group. I'm Magda Walędzik - if one of you finds me, pls add me as friend and we can have a bit more "direct" means of communication.

I had a really bad eating weekend too! My stomach is wretched today!

I'm also starting on August 1. It seems stupid, but its a scary thing to do. After years of yo-yo dieting, through my 20s and 30s, and learning more about the realities of weight-loss success, I completely gave up on the entire concept. I decided I'd rather be over-weight than torture my body any further. So, even recognizing that the Whole30 (and paleo/primal eating, in general) are a completely different thing from traditional diets, I'm still experiencing negative thoughts about the likelihood of long-term success. I'm happy to find that there is a community of people starting out on the same path, as that makes it much easier to ignore the discouraging little voice in the back of my mind, and to focus on all the positives that come with success.

Sarah2012, I didn't get your FB request yet, but maybe it got stuck somewhere, let's be patient ;)

After my weekend of awful food I did pretty well today. I'm starting to ease into the whole30 eating rules, so today I had my last dairy breakfast for the month, but the rest of my meals were compliant. I overdosed fresh raspberries a bit, but I guess (I know actually) there are much worse foods to indulge in.

I also signed up for the daily newsletter. So far I got my day zero introduction and I love it. I think it will be a lot of support.

Duende, I understand you so well regarding the diets and weight loss... I've been on a diet of some kind for the last 20 years. I managed to lose some weight, regain it, lose again, regain again etc... I've never been really obese, just skinnier and chubbier in approximately 2 year cycles, but I've also never been happy with my body and I've always (as far as I remember) been thinking about food - what (not) to eat, when to eat, how many calories I've eaten etc. etc. I don't want to do this anymore. If I'm "supposed" to be a few kg heavier, that's OK, but I want to finally be at peace with my body and treat food as fuel/nutrition and and occasionally a pleasure and not as my obsession and a danger that will make me fat.

Hi! I'm joining in on August 1 too! Love the support here. It's also my son's 12th birthday so I'll be dedicating my 30 days to him. I want to be a better role model for him and be healthy and vibrant enough to keep up with my grandkids one day.

A little about me, I've lost 60-70 pounds watching what I eat and exercising. I have a blog where I chronicle my stuff called Happy Texans. I am insulin resistant, have PCOS and low thyroid. I got off track with my eating this summer and want the Whole30 to be my springboard for getting back at it! I have been trying to get back to eating healthy but the cravings, headaches and fatigue have been intense. I keep giving in to those wicked cravings. I'm hoping that the accountability here and the support will keep me on track.

Look forward to going through this transformation with all of you and getting to know you better. If you're looking for a facebook buddy as well my name is Kelly Schumann. :)

See ya on August 1st. It's almost here!!! Are you excited or what?! I've cleaned out my pantry. Looks quite nice.

Kelly

Hi all, I'm Leah & I'm also starting the Whole30 on August 1. I've been eating about 80/20 Paleo for about 2 months now. I've read ISWF (and it really clicked) and I have a few friends who have done Whole30 with great success. I'm looking to help jumpstart better eating habits in general. I'm looking forward to having a group of folks to chat with as we take this journey!

We could do a facebook group for all those interested in some sort of buddy system/accountability.

I'm not super FB savvy. But does anyone know if you make the group open, can we just search for the group and join ourselves? (if we make the group name super creative, it would be easy to find). The only downside to this would be in you want the group to be confidential. I'm not against friending everyone, just thought if this way was possible, it might be easier.

Magda I just sent you a friend request on FB. Would be great to have a private group.

But this thread is great support, we can rock this!

Am going to sign up for the extra support.

Good luck to us all!

HI there! Trying to start up a FB group right now with one other girl that maybe we could all join and it would be easier to talk. I have trouble following the forums.

oh DUH I just saw the previous posts you guys wrote about a FB group.I tried to create one but yes also saw how you have to invite your friends. I called it Whole 30 and Paleo, maybe try searching for it and see if you can join? I joined a group in the past with a bunch of ppl I am not directly friends with on FB, so it should work.

Archived