Quit Coffee on Day 14. Advice?

TrayS

So earlier this week I realized that I need to quit coffee. Lately it's been a 2-3 cup per day habit, plus sometimes a green tea in the afternoon. But anxiety, jitters, heart palpitations and sleep disturbances have caused me to rethink this. I would just go down to 1 but let's face it - I've tried this before and as I am generally bad at moderation, well, the evidence of my recent habit speaks for itself.

I did not entertain the idea of quitting coffee in conjunction with this Whole30 as I was starting it, based on my last experience trying to do this and subsequent headaches. But now that I'm past the acute detox phase I feel I can (and need to) tackle coffee, particularly since I am embracing the fact that I am in control of what I put into my body and there are no excuses for continuing to make bad choices when I can see they are affecting me negatively. So bye bye coffee.

Yesterday I started with 2 cups of white berry tea, today was one cup of white berry and one up of green tea (which has a mere fraction of the caffeine as compared to what I normally intake) and this has kept me from getting a headache. However, where my energy was good up until Monday, I am now EXHAUSTED. Even though I slept 9 hours last night and the night before. EXHAUSTED. I was going to go running at lunch today and I just blew it off. EXHAUSTED. Honestly, I just feel like my body is made of lead.

If anyone else is reading this and has coffee-quitting advice or experiences they'd like to share with me, I'd love to hear them...

I started using half decaf and half coffee for about two weeks and then I think I just started drinking decaf. If that doesn't work try 1/4 regular and 3/4 decaf for two weeks and then change to just decaf. I now drink teecino which is an herbal coffee, it tastes very similar to coffee without that bitter bite. Unfortunately it is not whole30 compliant because it contains barley. So for this whole30 I am back to decaf. I hope that helps.

Tina, how were your withdrawal symptoms, did you have any? I'm thinking I should've started with half decaf. I think going straight to tea was too much of a drop in caffeine from my 2-3 cups/day motor-oil-grade coffee...

Tina, how were your withdrawal symptoms, did you have any? I'm thinking I should've started with half decaf. I think going straight to tea was too much of a drop in caffeine from my 2-3 cups/day motor-oil-grade coffee...

I didn't have a headache or anything. I thought it would be a lot harder. Now when I drink regular coffee it taste so bitter. I think it is harder to give up the ritual of having a warm creamy cup of coffee in the morning. I tried drinking tea but it just isn't the same. 

Whenever I cut coffee (it always creeps back into my diet eventually), I'm miserable for 3-4 days. Headaches, grumpy, tired. I go cold turkey because I'm clearly a masochist.

I recommend one of two things: like Tina said, go half and half (or switch to green tea) to wean yourself off or, trick yourself like me and drink herbal coffee.

While not Whole30ing, you could try Teeccino herbal coffee. It's tasty and very similar in texture/bitterness to coffee. While I'm on the Whole30, I brew a mix of raw carob and roasted chicory. It's basically compliant, homemade teeccino! I'm in love with it, because coffee is more about the sensation and soothing texture of drinking it than the caffeine.

Good luck! Don't give up! You'll feel so much better when you aren't dependent on your morning hit. :)

Thank you - I am starting to feel much better on Day 4 no coffee now. Things were rough until about halfway through the day yesterday. The green/white tea I had in the AM kept me from hating life completely. But yesterday afternoon I noticed no crash and this morning I woke up not feeling like I had been hit by a truck. I can tell this is going to be a positive change. Fortunately, I love herbal teas in addition to green and black teas so I can satisfy the morning hot beverage ritual that way.

Today is Day 8 without coffee (and Day 21 of my W30). I am still getting mild headaches, but my energy is back during the day. I am falling asleep between 8 - 9 pm (about 2 hours earlier than before) and waking up around 6 AM, which I don't mind at all. I work full time from home, and today during my lunch break I found I was too energetic to sit and read or watch TV. So after I ate, I spent the remaining 40 minutes cleaning the house. Voluntarily. I could get used to this...

Archived