Pepto Bismol

RGlove

Hello all,

I suffer from GI issues and in my normal life I would take pepto a couple times a week when I was having an upset stomach. I'm a teacher so if my stomach isn't feeling well, I can't afford to keep leaving the room! I'm on day 15 and am still experiencing my normal GI issues. Is it ok to take pepto or anything similar to calm things down? It makes my life easier/less stressful!

Any other suggestions for a quick tummy fix are welcome as well! I know that long term eating good foods and cutting out the foods that are problems for me will help. However that doesn't help when my stomach is gurgling and I'm teaching 3 or more classes in a row!

• Moderators

That is a good question. My thought is to go ahead and take the medicine. My guess is that you can experience a successful Whole30 while taking it, although it may have some unwelcome consequences for your gut bacteria and digestion. Ultimately, I would expect your GI issues to resolve. 

For GI issues, you may also want to look at probiotics and digestive enzymes. Here are two articles...

Thanks Tom! I was about to pop a couple of tablets, but then stopped and look at the ingredients. Some not good inactive ingredients in there. Now I'm torn as to what to do.

Inactive Ingredients:adipic acid, calcium carbonate, D&C Red No. 27, FD&C Red No. 40 aluminum lake, flavor, magnesium stearate, mannitol, povidone, saccharin sodium, talc

• Moderators

Good for you worrying about what it means to ingest those chemicals. Even so, if I were suffering, I would take it. My thought is that the Pepto Bismol is short-term help while the Whole30 is a solution that takes time to work. I doubt you will need any meds by the end of 30 days. 

Ginger is usually pretty good at settling my stomach. I just buy whole ginger root, slice up about 2 handfuls and pour hot water over it in a large glass and drinking it like tea. It's also apparently supposed to be good for your immune system which is important in these winter months.

I'll reuse the same ginger for 4-5 refills, after the 2nd or 3rd, I'll take a spoon and mash the ginger a little bit to release some more oils and continue adding hot water.

You can squeeze some lemon and sprinkle some cayenne pepper as well if you like.

Archived