first whole 30 - started AIP on January 11, 2014

h e a t h e r

You are only 2/3rds of the way through a 30 day program. Don't worry. My advice is that if it would help your stress level make your reintroduction plan now and execute it at the end of your 30 days. Take what you learn and decide if you want to make a riding your own bike plan to move forward or whether you want to do another W30, perhaps after your trip.

That said there are lots of blog posts and forum posts about staying 100% compliant when you stay in a hotel.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are only 2/3rds of the way through a 30 day program. Don't worry. My advice is that if it would help your stress level make your reintroduction plan now and execute it at the end of your 30 days. Take what you learn and decide if you want to make a riding your own bike plan to move forward or whether you want to do another W30, perhaps after your trip.

That said there are lots of blog posts and forum posts about staying 100% compliant when you stay in a hotel.

Googling that now, then, thanks for the tip!  I cannot even imagine how you could do it!

ok, googling complete, visions of room service and breakfast buffet slowly fading...  Has anyone accused you of being the voice of reason today, Physibeth?? :P

found this super resource for travel:

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-travel.pdf

I did find lots of ideas for packing portable foods and I think I will pack a couple of meals to be safe. 

I do have an oven dried jerky recipe that just has coconut aminos, pineapple juice, garlic powder and S+P that is good, and olives, coconut chips and raw veggies will also work, and applegate farms roast beef and avocado roll-ups.  Some people said cold roasted sweet potatoes are yummy, not so sure about that one...  Maybe plaintain chips would work.

Day 21!

Breakfast

Shepherds pie

Salad with romaine, avocado, radishes, shallot vinaigrette

Didn't have a good plan for my errands this afternoon, went off template

Snack/lunch 1

Olives

Banana

Couple chunks of pineapple and couple of grapes

Snack/lunch 2

Applegate farms roast beef

Avocado

Went sledding with the kids for an hour and a half before all of our snow melts. We were the only ones at the hill and it was awesome.

Dinner

Roasted chicken

Roasted turnips and Brussels sprouts

Wilted greens with garlic

Experimenting with celery root tonight, going to try to make a soup.

ok, googling complete, visions of room service and breakfast buffet slowly fading...  Has anyone accused you of being the voice of reason today, Physibeth?? :P

found this super resource for travel:

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-travel.pdf

I did find lots of ideas for packing portable foods and I think I will pack a couple of meals to be safe. 

I do have an oven dried jerky recipe that just has coconut aminos, pineapple juice, garlic powder and S+P that is good, and olives, coconut chips and raw veggies will also work, and applegate farms roast beef and avocado roll-ups.  Some people said cold roasted sweet potatoes are yummy, not so sure about that one...  Maybe plaintain chips would work.

LOL!  :lol:

I think it is always easier to be someone else's voice of reason. That's why we come someplace like this, so we can get talked down and reasoned with. Right? ;)

Sounds like you have a great plan! I actually prefer roasted sweet potatoes cold. It is especially nice after a run on a hot day for me. :)

Day 22

Breakfast

More leftover shepherds pie

Salad with romaine avocado cucumber radish shallot vinaigrette

Lunch

Sweet potato hash with onion

Grass fed burgers topped with chopped onion, diced avocado, olive oil and lime juice

Wilted greens with garlic

No dinner! And I am not one to miss a meal... ever. After lunch I took a shower, and then an hour after I ate I got a really bad pain in my stomach, it felt like maybe a large "gas bubble"on the right side. I had a low grade fever, it hurt to take a deep breath or to bend my middle at all. The pain came in waves and for a while was at a steady 6. I took a nap and I was out of commission for the rest of the day. Sleeping was rough, was up several times through the night.

Day 23

Still have no idea what the pain is, feels a little better this morning. Feeling the echoes of the fever, going to try a small breakfast and see how it goes.

Breakfast
Chicken thigh
Zucchini soup
Yogi ginger tea with coconut milk

Lunch - Super Bowl Sunday treat
Applegate organic hot dogs
Sauerkraut
Avocado
Banana

Feeling better after my afternoon nap, still uncomfortable, but better.
Dinner
Plantains in coconut oil
Leftover roasted chicken
Leftover turnips and Brussels sprouts

Day 24

The pain is still there but just a little bit, went to work today and trying to ignore it. I am thinking maybe it was an ovarian cyst?

Breakfast

zucchini soup

chicken thighs

yogi ginger tea with coconut milk

Lunch

last of the shepherd's pie (good thing I am logging I am going to look to see when I made this to check if I am risking ptomaine. Hmm...made it on the evening of day 18, probably longer ago than ideal, but it smells ok and it is all that I packed so I am going for it!)

clementine - feel pretty good about packing this today, lots of sniffles around at work

Dinner

Steak

Roasted cauliflower

Sweet potato mashed with coconut butter, coconut milk, and coconut oil

Day 25

I still have the pain, it is a mystery.  The clementine yesterday did not have enough vitamin C to ward off a runny nose.  So every time I take a deep breath, bend over, cough or sneeze my right side hurts in an area below my ribs and above my pelvis. yay!  I am falling apart, I might have to make this a whole million before I feel better.  /end whine

Breakfast

steak

leftover sweets with coconut butter/oil/milk

roasted cauliflower

yogi ginger tea with coconut milk

Lunch

salad with romaine, jicama, radishes, cucumbers, avocado, hearts of palm, olives, and shallot vinaigrette

Dinner

applegate hot dogs

sauerkraut

leftover sweet potatoes

olives

Between this cold and my pain I have gotten behind on a few things, I think almost every dish in the house is dirty right now...  I threw a 3 pound boston butt pork roast in the crockpot so it can cook overnight.

Day 26

The pain is almost gone!! hallelujah! My pants don't feel so tight! Still stuffy and the weather is bad but I am feeling pretty good. :)

We lost power at 3:30 in the morning, luckily my pork roast had 8 hours to cook by then.

Breakfast

pork

caramelized coconut chips

raw veggies - snap peas, jicama and radishes

Lunch - felt so cozy, warm and satisfied after this meal!

cauliflower soup

leftover sweet potatoes

spaghetti squash

pork

Dinner

Pork

Plantains with coconut oil

Olives

Day 27

It feels surreal that I made it to day 27...

Didn't sleep that great, went to bed at 10 but woke up with hacking cough and chest congestion at about 4 am. Ended up getting about an hour more sleep after that.

Breakfast

chicken thighs dusted with seasoned coconut flour

wilted greens with garlic and olive oil

last of the left over sweet potatoes

Lunch

cauliflower pork fried "rice" with onions, garlic, water chestnuts, pork, snap peas, and coconut aminos

pork

clementine

Dinner

Chicken thighs

Spaghetti squash with garlic and olive oil

Avocado

Snap peas and jicama

Day 28

Breakfast

Chicken thighs

Plain spaghetti squash

Avocado

Lunch

Snap peas and jicama

Olives

Chicken thigh

Dinner

Chicken breast

Roasted asparagus with olive oil

Roasted vegetables under the chicken - turnip, sweet potato, onion, radish, garlic

Took digestive enzymes for the first time with this meal, after doing some reading I suspect that my digestion is still sub-optimal.

I have a question about nomnompaleo's Kalua pork. Earlier this week I cooked a salted pork butt roast in a crock pot using her method of cooking with no added liquid and it came out delicious. In her recipe she lines the crock pot with bacon, which I think would impart a slightly smoky flavor. So yesterday I bought a big 7.5 pound roast, and some fancier non-compliant applewood smoked bacon from trader joes. I decided not to use the bacon this time because I am in the home stretch, but realistically, and not to disrespect the essence of the rules... if I didn't eat the bacon would it be a problem?

And I haven't mentioned it before but I really appreciate you taking the time to assist me in this journey, Physibeth!!

I've made that recipe and I didn't eat the bacon so that is a really hard call. I think not using it and sticking to the letter of the rules is the right call. It may be negligible but I think there is something to be gained from knowing you didn't bend even the slightest in completing your journey. Does that make sense?

Happy to assist!  

I've made that recipe and I didn't eat the bacon so that is a really hard call. I think not using it and sticking to the letter of the rules is the right call. It may be negligible but I think there is something to be gained from knowing you didn't bend even the slightest in completing your journey. Does that make sense?

Happy to assist!

It definitely makes sense, that was why I ended up skipping it! Sometime later I will try it with the bacon to find out if I was missing anything. It really comes out so good without the bacon, though! :)

Day 31

woohoo! I did it!  So I stepped on the scale this morning, I think I lost about 7 pounds (I did not weigh or measure myself before starting so this is an estimate) and I am feeling pretty good.  Bra was still tight this morning(?), I feel slightly crampy, but overall not bad.

I have done 2 elimination diets in the past, the first one I went crazy at reintroduction time and learned nothing.  The second time the results were not conclusive.  I believe that my gut still has a way to go to heal.  I am kind of nervous about the reintro phase but I am going to work on a plan today, maybe start tomorrow. 

I am feeling a little burnt out on vegetable options right now.  I have been thinking that my next whole 30 will be during fresh local veggie season. :)

Breakfast

steak

mushrooms and onions sauteed in olive oil

avocado

roasted broccoli with olive oil

enzyme

Lunch (same as breakfast)

steak

mushrooms and onions sauteed in olive oil

avocado

roasted broccoli with olive oil

enzyme