Need some talking down....in laws coming!

abur0418

I just found out my in laws will be here other the weekend. They usually aren't bad or anything but I am worried about being judged if we go out to eat or if I won't eat something my MIL brings..... Need some words of encouragement. I am on day 16 so can't back out now

The only response you can control is yours.  

Have a plan for how you will eat while dining out and at home during their visit (maybe getting your spouse to back you up, if necessary).  

If you or your husband gave your MIL a heads-up on how you're eating right now, could that help things?  If she chose to bring food to share, would she go through the effort to make it compliant?  Or, you could ask not to bring anything, that you will take care of the meals you have at home during their visit.  (Maybe they'll be so blown away by the yummy food, they'll be asking to join you vs. judge you? ;) ) 

My in-laws visited while I was doing AIP over the summer.  It wasn't easy.  I tried to take the focus off of the food.  I did plan plenty of meals to cook at home and they even liked zoodles.  I added bread at some meals and milk for my father-in-law.  Whole30 is my choice, not theirs.

We went to Carrabba's and Lonestar while they were in town.  It was easier than the local places we usually take them.  I had been to Lonestar before and knew to alert the kitchen manager, ask for food prepared in a dry pan, not cheese or croutons on my salad, etc.  This made it seem like less of a big deal.  Plus, they want me to be healthy!  My husband and I made a special trip to Carrabba's - a bit of a date night - before the visit.  I learned about their cooking methods and how to meet every requirement - meat and veg cooked in olive oil in a pan.  I learned that gluten free means a clean grill, but the grill is then doused in soybean oil.  Not good!  Anyway, my meals were satisfying.

My SIL has a new baby and a toddler.  I can always re-direct grandma and grandpa to conversations of the kids "show me that picture of...", I hear potty training is going well, ...  People like to talk about the things that they think are important.  Offer good food choices without imposing and try to shift the focus to them at all times.  Oh, and "your son got a promotion at work" or anything non-food that is happening at your house will be nice conversation, too.

• 11 months later...

Archived