Green/red/yellow curry paste?

Eleanor

In the curry recipes at the back of ISWF it says to use curry paste. When looking at ingredients there are numerous suspect looking ingredients. Am I okay to use this or is the a very specific variety I should be looking for?

• Moderators

I've never used curry pastes because I've never found any without ingredients I did not want. I am sure they are out there because we can trust Melissa Joulwan on these things. Personally, I make my own curry pastes to the extent I need them... Dried curry powder with oil or melted ghee, minced garlic, minced ginger and you've got curry paste.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

Thai Kitchen curry pastes at my stores are not compliant, it contains sugar of some sort (can't remember just now).

Here's a nifty chart from their website regarding allergens (dairy, wheat, soy etc)....but no ingredients listed on their sites:

http://www.thaikitchen.com/public/thaikitchen/TK%20Food%20Allergens.pdf

I went to my favorite health food store. They carry Thai Kitchen. It wasn't sugar that I saw on the list, it was spices. I've read that companies often use the word spices to hide things like MSG. I don't trust and won't buy anything that says spices in their ingredients list. Found the ones NomNomPaleo mentions on Amazon. Going that route. I do get a nice curry powder from there that is compliant.

I've read that companies often use the word spices to hide things like MSG. I don't trust and won't buy anything that says spices in their ingredients list.

Section h(5) at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.22 with further supporting information about what can be declared as spices.  If you want to take the conspiracy theories to the point that producers lie about their content at the risk of FDA testing and fines, that's another story.  I agree with you about FDA dysfunction.

Even as an OCA member, distrustful of corporate food, and knowing that Thai Kitchen is owned by McCormick, I have to suggest that "often" exceeds in its adverb slot.  With the number of factory foods we kick to the curb, carving out those where the producer chooses to protect their proprietary blends is good for you but probably not the advice for the community as a whole.  It is restriction with uncertain basis, where the bulk of what we rely on is scientific.

Thanks for the info sleeve. So far, thru 2 whole30's and now, I have manged to use only my curry powder and single herbs and spices to make my own recipes. Tend to like to do my own creating anywho. :D I get that companies like to protect their proprietary blends, yet the larger the company, the more they tend to like to cut corners for their bottom line. The FDA has way to many irons in the fire and not sure they would test unless they had a complaint. It's not worth it to me to take the chance during my whole30, as I do know from past history that  MSG, HVP, and maltodextrin cause nastiness for me, headaches, body aches, lethargy. Maybe after a whole30 and do a trial with it to see what happens.

I've been able to source everything to make curry paste but the shrimp paste.  Savory Spice Shop makes a powder and discloses all their lurking spice fiends.  Spanish paprika, lemon grass, salt, shallots, galangal, cumin, coriander, Chinese red pepper, red Thai chiles, Lampong peppercorns, cilantro, garlic, makrut lime leaves, California basil and spearmint.

I'll try making red curry from just their powder and coconut milk.  I've been meaning to do that for awhile.

What's HVP?

• Administrators

What's HVP?

Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP) is produced by boiling foods such as soycorn, or wheat in hydrochloric acid and then neutralizing the solution with sodium hydroxide. The acid breaks down the protein in vegetables into their component amino acids.

Sounds gross!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

I'm using Mae Ploy and Cock Brand curry pastes and looking at their ingredients they are both compliant. Tastewise they are both great :)

May Ploy Green Curry Paste (super hot, be careful):

Ingredients: Green Chili, Lemon Grass, Garlic, Salt, Galangal, Shrimp Paste (Shrimp, Salk), Kaffir Lime Peel, Corainder Seed, Pepper, Cumin, Tumeric (This product my contain fish) 

No MSG, No Preservative, No Artificial Colour

Cock Brand Red Curry Paste (normally hot): 

Ingredients: Dried Red Chili (28%), Lemon Grass, Garlic, Shallot, Salt, Kaffir Lime's Skin, Galangal, Spices (Coriander Seed, Cumin Powder)

Cock Brand Matsaman Curry Paste (milder, great for beef stews): 

Ingredients: Dried Red Chili (20%), Garlic, Shallot, Salt, Lemon Grass, Cumin, Coriander Seed, Galangal

Archived