Whole 30 & Robb Wolfs 30 day meal plan

Nritchie77

I am starting my whole 30 January 20th.  I have read It Starts With Food, cleaned my pantry, and started trying to make my meal plan for week 1.  I came across Rob Wolfs 30 day transformation.  He has an excellent meal plan and it also comes with a grocery list.  I really work better when I have things spelled out for me because I am so busy 4 kids and I work full time an hour away from home.  BLAH... I'm sure I'm not the only one so who am I to complain right!!!

Any hoot!  My question is on Rob's week 1 - Sunday he has biscuits and gravy which is made with arrowroot and other Paleo compliant ingredients.  However after reading It Starts With Food I thought we were supposed to stay away from recreated foods for 30 days?  Can I have the biscuits and gravy? I'm confused. 

I am turning my lifestyle completely over to Paleo NOT because I believe in evolution or the caveman theory because I DO NOT AT ALL!!!!  But I am tired of feeling lethargic all the time and I liked the part I read in the book about forgetting the alarm clock and just being able to jump out of bed ready to start my day.  I don't think I have ever felt like that.  My mornings usually consist of 5:30 AM snooze, 6:00 AM snooze, 6:30 AM drag myself out of bed because my husband is yelling that he has to listen to my alarm go off every morning for an hour and he doesn't understand why I don't just set it for 6:30 AM...BECAUSE I'LL NEVER MAKE IT TO WORK THATS WHY PFFT.  I also want to start waking up at 4:30 AM to go to crossfit but obviously it hasn't happened yet!  I have really bad joint pains as well that I would LOVE to see disappear and I can be a bit gloomy at times. I am over all pretty healthy I thought.  I'm not super over weight I tried the whole "low fat" thing but I am always starving so I want to make this a lifestyle change NOT A DIET..

So back to my question????

Check out nom nom paleo's website. She has a day by day menu for a whole30 you can look at and use. I think I remember the same thing on theclothesmakethegirl.com too....

I bet if you googled whole30 meal plan you'd come up with links to folks menus. You just have to make sure they really are whole30 compliant and not just paleo. While whole30 can be considered paleo, the purpose of it is to break the cycle of needing sugar and unhealthy food that cause inflammation. If you eat paleo-fied foods, it's harder to break the habit and desire for non-paleo versions. Stick with strict whole30 guidelines for the thirty days. When you finish, you might want to try those paleo-fied foods.

Pinterest also has tons of ideas and photos of people's meals for each day. Nom Nom Paleo majes a cute egg sandwich, using slices of Canadian Bacon instead of bread or english muffins, maybe try that instead of the biscuit meal! Robb Wolf's book doesn't really have anything to do with whole30 except being paleo, you might find it easier in the beginning to stick with whole30 compliant foods, than after your whole 30, consider trying paleo versions of things. Otherwise youre just replacing one kind of biscuit (or cookies, muffins, etc) with another. (;

Thanks guys for all of your input.  I went and did all my grocery shopping this weekend.  I cooked up 12 chicken fajita egg muffins (eating 2) for my breakfast during the week.  I prepared my tuna salad w/olive oil for lunch, and my free-range turkey jerky for a pre workout meal.  Since I am trying to lose weight (10 pounds) I am going to go light on the carbs for my post workout but I am going to do a scrambled egg whites (3)  mixed with a little pumpkin (do you think that is too much egg for one day)? Dinner I am making Mahi Mahi and gingered carrots.  Day 1 is tomorrrrrroooowwww!  I kind of already ate whole 30 today because I couldn't help it :)

My crossfit class is tomorrow at 4:30... So I got my day planned and I'm stoked.  HERE WE GO!

That sounds awesome...aside from the egg whites.  As Post-WO, maybe that makes them leaner, so someone else may chime in.  As a rule, though, around here we eat the yolks!  And, no, it won't be too many eggs for a day. :-)

One other question: do you have fat planned for dinner?

That sounds awesome...aside from the egg whites.  As Post-WO, maybe that makes them leaner, so someone else may chime in.  As a rule, though, around here we eat the yolks!  And, no, it won't be too many eggs for a day. :-)

Yeah, post-WO is the only time I would consider it ok to eat just the whites (egg yolks post WO would be too much fat). Save those yolks for some other time of day though, for sure!

This is pretty awesome, you seem motivated! Not to rain on the parade, but sometimes it's okay to not induce more stress (4:30 AM wake ups to work out tend to be very stress-inducing), especially when modifying your diet so drastically.

The mocha rubbed steak (as seen here: http://www.naturallyleah.com/food/whole-30-week-one-recipes/) is amazing, and you should definitely work it into your meal plan. Mark Sisson also has western omelettes to go, in his Primal Cravings book - try and track those down, as well.

Good luck! :)

Nico, for fat I included 2 Tbl of coconut oil in the prep for the ginger carrots and 1 Tbl more for the Mahi... IT CAME OUT DELICIOUS!!! I woke up with a head cold this morning so I had to skip out on my crossfit BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... Hopefully my head wont fill like it is going to explode tomorrow and I can jump back in.  I have only done crossfit 3 times and I am hooked for LIFE!  

So everything stayed according to plan today with the exception of crossfit and my pre/post WO meals (obviously didn't get to have those). 

Amanda, I have read the well fed and I agree this sounds great for next week for sure.  Prior to starting I read It Starts With Food and Paleo Solution.  I bought Well Fed, Well Fed 2, OMG paleo, and Nom Nom Paleo...And today I jacked my daughters Ipod and down loaded Nom Nom's app... Whaaaaa... 

Def. gana try the Mocha Rub Steak!!!

Quick Question????  Can I have Walden Farms salad dressings?

If every single ingredient is compliant, yes. If you're not sure, post the ingredient list here.

Update: just visited their website and checked the ingredients - every single dressing has sucralose/splenda. That makes it a big NO for a Whole30 - sorry.

Other Ingredients: Triple Filtered purified water, white vinegar, cellulose gel, salt, natural flavors, onion powder, garlic powder, sour cream flavoring (non dairy), lemon juice, white pepper, xanthan gum, lactic acid, parsley, cayenne pepper, food color and sucralose.

Contains trace calories.

sucralose.

Sorry, sucralose is a sweetener, so that one will not work on whole30

Is this ranch dressing? If so, there are several compliant recipes out there to make your own. Tessamae's makes a "ranch" that is compliant for purchase, but it is more of an oil-and-vinegar type dressing (not creamy). Maybe mix the tessamae's with some of your own mayo* or coconut cream?

*mayo has to be made at home, there are no options in stores that are compliant. Luckily it is pretty easy make!

EatTrainClean - I ordered 3 different types they just came in yesterday, but thank you for the idea (keep'm coming).  I was thinking to use them as more of a marinade vs. a dressing because I got 2 BBQ's (different types) and a lemon Chesapeake.  I ordered those coconut wraps from Julian Bakery and they sent me an email with a salmon wrap recipe that had the lemon dressing on there so I got that and a few of the BBQ's to try :)

I am going to keep today as day 2 even though I screwed up on my dressing.  I will just do 31 days vs. 30 :)  

I ordered those coconut wraps from Julian Bakery and they sent me an email with a salmon wrap recipe that had the lemon dressing on there so I got that and a few of the BBQ's to try :)

It might be a better idea to make the salmon into a lettuce wrap or salad.  The Whole30 approved coconut wraps (different brand but same idea) aren't approved anymore.    Paleo breads of all kinds are considered SWYPO.  You can read more about the change here: http://whole30.com/2013/12/pure-wraps/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived