Can I use store bought stock cubes to make broth for soups?

Eleanor

it's doubtful that you'll find a compliant one.

You don't NEED a slow cooker to make broth, btw...it's just a lot more convenient because you can turn it on and forget it.

You can leave it on the stove all day on a low simmer, you can use a pressure cooker for an hour or so, etc, and you can even drain the juices from a roasted chicken, separate the fat, and then water down the broth a little if you want. Lots of non-slow cooker options to go around

you don't need a slow cooker for bone broth. I have one, but I still make my broth on the stovetop because my slow cooker is really too small for all the liquid, etc. (if I'm going to make broth, I make a bunch).

My favorite method: first roast a whole chicken in the oven. Remove whatever meat you want to eat from the chicken (the more you leave on, the better the broth). Put the carcass, skin, etc. into a stock pot with whatever veggies you like (for me, never more than carrots, onions, garlic and celery, but usually just onions or garlic). Add enough water to cover + 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar. Bring to a boil then simmer for as long as you can stand it. 12 hours is good. Strain and enjoy.

Beef broth is basically the same, but instead of a chicken, roast what beef bones you have (roast them well. this makes a huge difference in flavor)--adding something like short ribs with a little meat left on, etc. will enrich the broth.

Archived