Need some poop advice

I'm really wishing I had used a different name for my profile here (ie: not my real name) because it's about to get personal.

I've always had digestive issues. I usually felt bloated after meals. I had cramping almost daily. I had diarrhea or loose stools about 80% of the time. And I had about 5 BMs most days. When I was very young, they diagnosed me with IBS, but I'm pretty sure now that was an incorrect diagnosis. I had an incredibly stressful childhood, and I think my issues have always been as a result of stress and diet. (As an adult, with much less stress in my life, my symptoms got much better, but didn't go away entirely.) And now, with the change in my diet (Day 15 of my Whole30), almost all of those issues are just gone. It's amazing. I haven't felt bloated. I haven't had cramping. I feel great in every other way.

But I still have diarrhea or very loose stools with every BM. I assumed this was normal at the beginning as I adjusted. But now, at Day 15, I had expected those issues to get better. I am having a BM about 3-4 times a day. They are pretty urgent and I "go" very easily. That's it though. There's no cramping or discomfort. The food is digested. But it's every time I go to the bathroom. I am following the eating plan exactly. The only thing I'm not doing is taking the Magnesium supplement, as I had read this would soften your stool and I certainly don't need that, and also the enzymes, as I seem to be digesting just fine...just in high speed.

Any suggestions? 

• Moderators

Your gut bacteria will probably be adjusting to the Whole30-style of eating throughout the 30 days. That means you may not settle down for another few weeks.

And you may need to do extra work to get your gut bacteria to the place they need to be because you have had problems for so long. You may need to be sure to eat fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, and kombucha to repopulate your gut with good stuff. Or take a probiotic supplement. Here is an article that you may find helpful: http://whole9life.com/2012/04/probiotics-101/

My guts have taken a lot longer to settle this Whole30 (it's my 4th), and I'm sure it's because I had a stomach virus a couple weeks prior to starting. I realize this is not the same problem, but, I do think contextually if there's extra problems disrupting your gut, it might take some extra attention like Tom suggested above.

• Moderators

I have had very similar symptoms for a long time (pre Whole 30 attempts). Fermented foods have worked for me and strangely pickles (Bubbie's) often help. I also notice if my sugars are up I have the "must go now" problem. Just a thought.

Unlike most pickles, Bubbie's are fermented, so they have live cultures. I did not notice that for the longest time. 

I have IBS/SIBO/Colitis and I developed the opposite problem from my SIBO. I used to have horribly loose urgent stools all the time. Now I get excited if I go at all. I'd take the loose stools over none but anyway. I find coconut in all forms to be horrifically constipating. Maybe try adding more to your diet and see what happens? I can't look at a coconut without getting stopped up so maybe it will help?

I also know someone at work who went vegan and used coconut to help firm up her stool. She says it really helped.

Good luck!

I find coconut in all forms to be horrifically constipating. Maybe try adding more to your diet and see what happens? I can't look at a coconut without getting stopped up so maybe it will help?

I also know someone at work who went vegan and used coconut to help firm up her stool. She says it really helped.

Has anyone else noticed coconut to be constipating?  I have had an awful time with constipation after the first 10 days or so (I'm on Day 19 now) and I have been eating a lot of coconut milk, coconut cream, and some coconut oil.

Archived