First Whole 30 - On Day 5 and Just have a Few Q's

Guest Wheat on Trial

Guest Wheat on Trial

Hey there - my husband and I are on day five. I'd say I'm doing pretty good, with the exception of night sweats (gross - anybody else experience this?) - otherwise, feel slightly low energy, and only wanted to kill two things (not all the things) at this point.

However, he says he's hungry all of the time, which makes me think he needs more food! I did a calorie count (I know we're not supposed to do that, but I'm just checking as I don't want this to be totally miserable for him), and it looks like our meals break down as follows

1300 cals

47 g carbs

78 g fat

96 g protein

He'll have a little bit more (an extra egg in the morning, extra veggies at lunch, and a little bit extra meat at dinner)

Any thoughts on if we should make any changes?

Are you eating per the meal template? http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf%C2'>

It's going to be hard for anyone to really say whether you're eating enough without knowing what you are eating, so give us an idea of a couple days worth of meals, and moderators and others should be able to chime in with suggestions. :)

Yup what Abby said. POst a couple days of food log. Don't log anything in calorie trackers anymore but based on what you are posting there I can already tell you that if that is for both of you you are both not eating enough.

In case you don't have it here is a copy of the meal template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Guest Wheat on Trial

Got it - here's today, which we haven't really deviated too much from

Breakfast = Green Eggs (2-3 eggs blended with spinach and scrambled), 1 tbsp coconut oil

Lunch - Chili from http://www.ourpaleolife.com/2013/08/bacon-bison-chili/ (using ground beef and no bacon because I have yet to find compliant bacon), cup of spinach with tangy avocado dressing

Snack - Apple with organic sunbutter

Dinner - slow cooked chicken with 1 cup zucchini strips sauteed in ghee and garlic w/ a pesto sauce (made from avocado)

Forgot to mention - black coffee with breakfast, herbal tea after dinner.

So a few things:

- Definitely increase your vegetable servings at all 3 meals. 1-3 cups is ideal and if you are hungry than aim for more. You can never eat too many vegetables I promise.

- Make some of those vegetables from starchy sources like sweet potato, winter squash, beets, etc.

- A palm sized portion of eggs is the number of whole ones you can hold in your hand. I'm 5'4" and I regularly eat 3-4. I'm guessing you can eat at least 3 and your husband can probably go closer to 4 or 5.

- Cooking fat is not counting as your fat source (it wasn't clear if the coconut oil at meal 1 was cooking oil or not)

- If you must snack it should be a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetable. Nuts and nutbutters are fat. 

- Limit fruit to part of or directly following a meal not as a snack.

Basically if you are hungry eat more. It really is that simple. It sounds like your husband might need to be on the higher end of the template too. What are you guys doing (if anything) in terms of exercise?

Guest Wheat on Trial

OK - thanks for the advice!

Yes, all of the fat I mentioned we cooked with but didn't add after the fact (except with mashed cauliflower - cooked it first, then blended it with ghee - should i add more ghee after that?)

Will incorporate my apple and sunbutter at lunch instead of as an afternoon snack - the problem is the timing, I think. I have breakfast about 7:30, lunch about 12:30, but then I don't get home until about 7:30 at night (because I do go to the gym each night - my husband is pretty active too)

Based on the meal template, it looks like we should be eating a pre-work out snack anyway, it's just i'm eating the wrong type of snack. any advice on what makes a good workout snack?

• Moderators

My favorite pre-workout meal is one or two boiled eggs. My typical post-workout meal is a can of tuna packed in water, but roast chicken breast is probably the best choice. If you need the energy, you can eat baked sweet potato as part of a post-workout meal.

Archived