Is this paleo-fied Italian?

flamom2my3

I came across this recipe and wondered if it was alright to try. Obviously no cheese and I was going to sub ground beef for the sausage. I have a cup of spaghetti squash in my fridge and figured I could try it out on a small scale before making a big batch. And yes I would be adding more veggies/fat on the side. Just wanted to be sure it is not too close to a dish like lasagna or baked ziti and not within the spirit of w30.

Whatcha think? Thanks!

http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/

Actually...I think this is fine. It is ok to enjoy the flavors of your food and this is pretty far from pizza, it just uses that flavor profile for a savory dish that works within the context of a template meal. If she were making a "pizza" with almond flour or coconut flour with nut cheese on top? no.

Spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and compliant sausage is alright.

Funny story, I actually made this today! Didn't even cross my mind to worry about SWYPO. To me, SWYPO is if I think it will make me crave the item I'm replacing more. Spaghetti squash is DELICIOUS in its own right and does not make me miss pasta one bit.

Also, this dish was amazing and I have awesome leftovers to nom tomorrow. Enjoy!

Giada De'laurentis had a similar recipe, only it was a way to use up leftover spaghetti. She took leftover spaghetti, mixed in eggs, olives, parmesan cheese, capers, whatever else sounded good, maybe some fresh herbs, etc. and then pressed it into a skillet and cooked it on low until the bottom is crispy brown and the egg has set, then put it under the broiler to get the top cooked and crisped. I'd made it a few times before discovering paleo and it's pretty tasty. This looks to be almost the same thing, only it's not leftover, and made with spaghetti squash.

To me, Spaghetti squash is not SWYPO. If you were to go find a recipe to make pasta with paleo-approved flours like almond or tapioca flour, then it would be SWYPO. It's a lot of work to put in for not much reward, and paleo pasta is never as good as the real thing, and it's not very nutritious. Spaghetti squash is a vegetable, it's nutritious, and while I don't really care for the texture, a lot of people really love it in it's own right.

• 5 months later...

Now, see I disagree about the Spaghetti squash.  I got busted on pancakes because they are 'comfort food' and I call foul.  Growing up in an italian family spaghetti was home.  So if it's a psychological thing - I protest.  I would think any psuedo-sgetti is in violation of the rules because it is COMFORT food.

Unless I can have my darn pancakes as a break from the daily egg :P  Then we can negotiate.  Honestly they aren't that good - I'd almost rather had the omelet instead.

Now, see I disagree about the Spaghetti squash.  I got busted on pancakes because they are 'comfort food' and I call foul.  Growing up in an italian family spaghetti was home.  So if it's a psychological thing - I protest.  I would think any psuedo-sgetti is in violation of the rules because it is COMFORT food.

Unless I can have my darn pancakes as a break from the daily egg :P  Then we can negotiate.  Honestly they aren't that good - I'd almost rather had the omelet instead.

I don't eat cauliflower rice for the reason you mention above.  I grew up eating rice three times a day, and subbing something else that's rice-like is SWYPO for me.  I do fine with spaghetti squash instead of pasta (in fact I prefer it).  When it comes to pancakes and baked goods and the like, the Hartwigs' research has focused on people who eat a Standard American Diet, very heavy in refined carbs and the things we make out of them.  Simply replacing those with marginally nutritious substitutes doesn't really change our eating habits.  We have had folks post here on the forums from all over the world, and sometimes they don't understand the rules about SWYPO for the very good reason that they really don't have an idea of what some of the baked goods are!  I remember the fellow from Scandinavia who wasn't sure about the rule about muffins since he'd never had a muffin (or what we in the U.S. call muffins anyway)!

While the rules for Whole30 certainly exist for health reasons, they also work with the psychology of change itself.  So it's worth trying the 30 days as written, so to speak - while also understanding that there may be certain foods that affect us each individually, that we need to limit.  Most of those individual self-limitations are based on health restrictions (allergies and other sensitivities).  Others are based on approved foods that may take on the character of food-without-brakes for us.

So you don't eat spaghetti squash, I don't eat cauliflower rice - and we'll all find something better to eat than those nasty egg and banana pancakes.  (I eat leftover roast for breakfast a lot.)

Hang in there, eat well, and eat up.  You're doin' just fine. :wub:

"In the case of Paleo desserts, it’s a straight swap – you’re desperately trying to duplicate the sweet treats you know and love in a way that’s still technically Paleo.  But if you’re looking for a sandwich substitute, and you decide to use a lettuce leaf or a coconut Pure Wrap, well, that’s a different story. Spaghetti squash for pasta, a portobello mushroom cap for a burger bun or egg and spinach “muffins” for traditional muffins are all examples of perfectly healthy and appropriate substitutions during your Whole30.  (Another tip:  If you’re subbing something unhealthy with vegetables or high-quality meat, that’s almost certainly a thumbs-up.)"

"In addition, context matters.  For example, the amazing fried chicken in Paleo Comfort Foods is a perfectly appropriate (and delicious) dinner choice while on your Whole30. However, if you’re coming off a wicked addiction to KFC, perhaps Jules & Charles’ creation isn’t the best choice for you during your program.  Make sense?  So think critically about whether the food choices you are making during your Whoel30 fit the spirit and intention of the program, not just the technicality of the rules."

http://whole30.com/2011/10/sex-with-your-pants-on/

I didn't post it for you. I posted it in support of MissMary's response to the original post. I also don't think posting just a quote means I'm passing judgement. I was just sharing information found on the site.

Archived