Hello Everyone, I am totally new so be kind :) If you see any glaring issues please let me know.

I am posting a few days worth because I didn't know there was a place to track and be accountable on here.  I have been trolling a few days just looking at everyone's posts.

I am doing, what I consider, a STRICT Whole30.  I need a major body reset and was up to 4-6 cups of coffee with that heavily processed Carmel Macc creamer from Coffeemate per day and still felt sluggish and out of it, my sleep schedule is crap and I have a very active toddler and want to be able to keep up.  He is on a really specific diet so I figure I have to cook so much for him but I eat like crap so time to do this for me.  I decided this was the best way to go.  I have tried since the first of the year to get back on Myfitnesspal and track and was under my calorie goal, and eating crap and still not losing weight, so discouraging!  

I am going no caffeine, no sugar and just trying to do whole foods completely from off the grocery list provided in the links.  Here is my damage, I am going to try to copy from excel, excuse the random notes, those are more for me!

1/16/2014   Take your VITAMINS I did Breakfast 3 eggs w/Salsa  Lunch Had a large avocado at 10ish, I was hungry and pissy and had just gotten back from the grocery store :) had a large head of cabbage for lunch, twas delish Dinner Sweet potato fries, no ketchup, with ground turkey/onion/red pepper hash Snack after dinner 2 cups cut up strawberries

1/17/2014   Take your VITAMINS I did Breakfast I tried to do a spinach smoothie with mango, blueberries and spinach with water....not successful, drank half, then had an avocado, had a grapefruit about 10ish Lunch sweet potato fries, chicken, brocolli Dinner brocolli, onion, spinach frittata - NOM NOM Snack after dinner strawberries

I know it doesn't look like much so far but I am really trying very hard.  I love my sweet potatoes and a berry of some sort.  I love Avocado so that is a plus as well.  I am going to do mason jar salads because that looks easy to do.

I had a caffeine withdrawal headache all day on the 16th and some on the 17th but it was more like a dull ache.  I was pretty stabby that first day though and just wanted to lay around.  I have been SO tired at night and am hoping that this energy spurt everyone talks about is right around the corner because I could definitely use it.  I do feel better though just would like more energy :)

The only thing I miss is coffee but I am really looking into the bulletproof idea for after the 30 days.  Really I just miss something hot to drink in the mornings and when it is cold outside but I will deal for the next 28 days.

Thanks!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome! I'm a touch confused. You say you want to do a strict Whole30 but you posted this in the Post-Whole30 log section. You won't get the same kind of feedback from us moderators here in the post-whole30 section (where people are riding there own bikes) as you will in the whole30 section (where we ask people to stay very compliant to the program). 

Assuming you do want to do a strict Whole30 and just posted in the wrong section (I can move your thread just let me know) here is some feedback. If my assumption is wrong feel free to take it or leave it.

1. You mentioned MyFitnessPal - you are not using this now correct? No logging calories, macros, etc for a W30. We want you to use the meal template and your bodies hunger cues to determine how much food to eat.

2. Smoothies are not encouraged at all on W30. They tend not to fit the template and we really want you to chew your food. What you do when you are done is up to you but we ask you to put them aside for 30 days.

3. Fruit is optional and should be limited to 1-2 servings (a serving is what you can hold in your hand) as part of or immediately following a meal.

4. Try to stick to 3 template meals a day. If you are hungry enough to eat something bland (like steamed fish and broccoli) you may have a snack but it should be a mini meal consisting of protein, fat, and veg. Nuts and nutbutters are considered fats for the purpose of W30. 

5. I see the take your vitamins note - make sure any supplements you are taking are compliant and don't have any sugar or other nasties in them.

Oh good grief, I guess I did post it in the wrong place, so if you could move me that is great!

I am not tracking on MFP, per what all I have read.

I didn't know that about the smoothies but I don't have the book to go by.  I am in line to get it from the library so I am trying to piece together what I can tell from the website.  It is fine with me that smoothies are out.

The template is not a bad idea but I usually need more food than that so I am trying to look at the template and be more mindful of what I am putting in my face at this point rather than following the template to the letter.  My meals are mostly chicken thigh or the equivalent amount of beef or steak and a huge plate full of veges.  I eat the fruit because at this point I don't eat much else other than fruit  I don't eat any nut butters or nuts so I don't have any thoughts there.  I know they are allowed but honestly they have never done much for me.  I am trying to do fruits that are on the better choice list.

The vitamin is a superfood and I looked at the ingredients.  It is probably the best single thing I put in my body.

Thank you for your help,

Erin

I'm confused on how the template is not enough food for you. You can eat on the upper end of the template. 2 palm sized servings of protein, fill you plate with vegetables and more if you want, and 1-2 servings of added fat (not your cooking fat). I'll figure out how to move your thread. New at this moderator thing.

1/18/2014   Take your VITAMINS I did Breakfast Avocado 155 grams Lunch 3 pieces of applegate farms turkey lunchmeat, half a steak at a restaurant and it wasn't great, they cooked it as I specified w/o the seasonings and everything but it tasted really bland and probably why I only ate half. I also don't think I was that hungry either. Ordered it with a side of the saddest green beans ever (did not eat but like 2), also tried the salad but they drenched it in dressing and after 2 days of being on this new way of eating it tasted like chemical/gross so I only ate a bite then pushed it away.  Everyone else ordered appetizers and I didn't even want it. I am going to go with I just wasn't that hungry and that I am starting to get hunger ques instead of eating because of the time of day. Dinner 2 chicken thighs w/skin and vegetables Snack after dinner strawberries

I am waiting for this energy spurt still but maybe I am having a little of one because I felt like walking twice yesterday instead of just the 5 miles in the morning.  My sleep seems to have improved in that I am not waking up wide awake and ready to get up at 2, instead I am waking up a few times but am able to get back to sleep until 5 or so.

Still miss something hot/sweet in the morning to drink.  Cannot wait for the 30 days to be up so I can start trying the bulletproof coffee and some of the delicious ideas from the forums!  

Down 3 lbs as of this morning though so that is really a benefit.  

Still miss something hot/sweet in the morning to drink.  Cannot wait for the 30 days to be up so I can start trying the bulletproof coffee and some of the delicious ideas from the forums!  

Down 3 lbs as of this morning though so that is really a benefit.  

How would you know you're down 3 lbs?  ;) No weighing/measuring during a Whole30. Please hide the scale for the duration of your Whole30, as the goal is to tune into your hunger cues and observe how you're feeling throughout the process independent of the number on the scale.

I know you're off caffeine: you could make a decaf compliant bulletproof coffee (unless decaf bothers you too). I make mine with clarified butter and coconut oil, blending it together with my coffee using a stick blender.  You could also have compliant decaf herbal tea: countless options there.

As I was reading this morning I saw the no scale thing on several posts after I had posted my last thing so I will be putting it up for the duration.  This is where the book would come in handy but I am on hold at the library, maybe I will have it for my next Whole30.  

I really wanted to get off caffeine and I am used to SWEET coffee/tea so I really just thought it would be better to get off of it entirely and figure out a different coping mechanism for mornings.  I have butter ready to go if I crack but honestly without the sweet idk how to drink coffee, I might discover I don't like it as much as I thought :)

Thank you for the information, I am sorta scrambling to piece together what all is correct,

Erin

As I was reading this morning I saw the no scale thing on several posts after I had posted my last thing so I will be putting it up for the duration.  This is where the book would come in handy but I am on hold at the library, maybe I will have it for my next Whole30.  

I really wanted to get off caffeine and I am used to SWEET coffee/tea so I really just thought it would be better to get off of it entirely and figure out a different coping mechanism for mornings.  I have butter ready to go if I crack but honestly without the sweet idk how to drink coffee, I might discover I don't like it as much as I thought :)

Thank you for the information, I am sorta scrambling to piece together what all is correct,

Erin

Here are the basics:

- Whole30 Program Rules: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

- Whole30 meal template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

- Whole30 shopping list: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf

Is it normal to feel so exhausted while doing this?  I know I am only on day 5.  I usually walk 4-5 miles on both Saturday and Sunday then on Monday and Wednesday mornings I like to get up and do a short Kettle Bell workout that is intense but makes my heart rate get up for the day.  Over the weekend I couldn't get up to near my intensity on the walks an this morning I couldn't even finish my kettle bell workout, I did my 100 swings and my alternate arm swings sets but I couldn't do the next circuit that I like to do.  Is this normal, is my body adjusting or what?  I guess I want the energy part that this way of life says you will get but I haven't achieved that yet.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Erin

It is normal to feel a decrease in performance the first 2 weeks of this transaction.

However...from what I can tell your meals are still not really fitting the template at all so it will be hard to get everything from the program. For example yesterdays first meal had no vegetables, the 2nd meal had no protein (bacon is a fat), it is hard to tell exactly how much food meal 3 was but I didn't see an added fat (cooking oil doesn't count). 

If you are not eating enough you will not have the energy you want. I would also advise the addition of starchy vegetables on the days you are doing something active. 

Ok I will try to figure out something on the vegetable side of breakfast.  

On the shopping list it shows bacon as a processed meat under the protein category so I guess I am confused or the list is wrong but I will consider that in the future.  I am also not sure why EVOO isn't considered a fat since it is under the fats part of the shopping list and there was enough fat in the italian sausage as well.  I don't really understand why the oil we cook in isn't considered a fat because I use quite a bit of it.  There is not much diversity in the Eating Fats section of the list and I don't like coconut anything or olives.  I guess I am going to fail at this diet every day.

Eating Log:

1/20/2014 - Take your VITAMINS I did Breakfast roast beef stew with carrots and onions Lunch 4 pieces of bacon, mason jar salad with EVOO/mustard dressing, tomatoes, salad leaves, bell pepper, onion, and large sweet potato Dinner at 2:30 beef stew with carrots and onions Snack after dinner grapefruit, beef stew broth

First off I want to address that last sentence. You only fail when you fail to try. You are making progress and you are trying and that makes you a success. Nobody is perfect. I certainly am not. My comments are only to try and help you refine your meal planning so you get the best out of your W30. I'm not trying to beat up on you or make you feel bad. Food has no impact on your self worth as a person. All we are trying to accomplish here (all of us every day) is to make more healthy choices while continuing. Also I want you to try and stop thinking about this as a diet and start thinking about it as a change in the way you make food choices. When we continue in our diet mentalities, especially those of us who have calorie and point counted (yes...been there done that myself), it is harder to allow ourselves to let our bodies lead our portion sizes.

I will check in with the powers that be about bacon as a protein source on the shopping list. I will confess I hadn't seen that myself. I've always read (even in the book I think) that bacon should be treated as a fat source. There is very little meat in ratio to fat on a strip of bacon. Personally because fat loss is a goal of mine I treat bacon as a condiment and when it is included in a meal it is my fat source.

The reason we ask you not to count the cooking fat generally speaking is because most of it usually gets left in the pan. If you are feeling satiated and satisfied and can go 5 hours between meals without feeling hungry than you are probably getting enough. If not than you need a little more. So many other things to use aside from coconut and olives. Ghee and avocado are great. Like I said I use bacon (2 strips with my first meal usually). You can make mayo. You can use nuts occasionally.

I want you to know that I truly want to encourage you and help you have the best possible experience with the Whole30. If I have come across as finger wagging I sincerely apologize. Let me know if I can do anything else to help you.

1/21/2014 Day 6 Take your VITAMINS I did Breakfast beef stew with carrots and onions, avocado, cup of beef stew broth Lunch mason jar salad with EVOO mustard dressing with lots of veges, leftover stew meat, additional carrots left from stew the day before SO DELICIOUS Dinner mustard chicken thighs baked with skin YUM, brussel sprouts, sweet potato Snack after dinner grapefruit

Thank you for your feedback, I will try harder.

I am still not sleeping great....idk what the problem is but 2:15 every morning I am awake and toss and turn to try to go back to sleep.  It takes forever but at least I am not a rampaging snarling beast without my coffee anymore and have energy throughout my day.  That is the one improvement I can say I have had so far is that I actually do have the energy to do the things I need to do.

1/22/2014 Day 7 Take your VITAMINS I did Breakfast 1/2 avocado, 3 eggs with probably 2 cups of sauteed spinach in lots of EVOO, and salsa Lunch roasted beets in lots of EVOO, turkey lunchmeat, 1/4 avocado Dinner ground beef in EVOO with bell pepper, grape tomatoes, eggplant over spaghetti squash, need to use up some veges Snack after dinner grapefruit

I felt good pretty much all day and last night I slept through the night with a tiny blip at 2 but then was able to fall right back to sleep.  Up at 5:15 to start my day :)

Thanks, I am trying really hard to remember all the components....I swear I chant FAT, PROTEIN, VEG in my sleep.  Today I am having epic fail because I don't have enough protein in my house, and I just ran out of avocado today but I am going to make up a bunch of chicken breasts for dinner tonight to make things easier over the weekend and hit the grocery store tomorrow afternoon with a list of things that worked this week :)

I will probably definitely do that!

To be honest the problem mostly lies in what I have available to eat. I didn't actually plan this before I started so I have not been the best.  I just took the shopping list with me and bought the stuff I wanted off of it not thinking about ratios or being prepared.  I will be MUCH better this week now that I know what I like and hopefully I won't overeat my veges/carbs and will save room for protein.  

Day 8 and I am already noticing what I am actually craving as far as real foods go.  I actually want water so that is new. I am pleased with the results and how I feel and I am hoping I get that energy burst sometime next week.  I need to probably limit my intake of sweet potatoes as I know I am not losing anywhere but being this is a totally new way for me to eat, especially without grains and caffeine and junk I think I am doing better than expected, especially with keeping with it.  I am actually excited for next week LOL!

1/23/2014

Day 8

Take your VITAMINS

I did

Breakfast

avocado, sweet potato

Lunch

head of cabbage with lots of EVOO

Dinner

large salad with tons of veges and lots of EVOO

Snack after dinner

grapefruit

Failure of an epic nature today on protein....I just couldn't get to the store and I did something experimental with dinner and it was....not great LOL! Got in all my veges and then some and my carbs and my fats but really the proportions were way off. It was cold here today and I didn't want to get out and go to the store.

Thanks, I am trying really hard to remember all the components....I swear I chant FAT, PROTEIN, VEG in my sleep.  Today I am having epic fail because I don't have enough protein in my house, and I just ran out of avocado today but I am going to make up a bunch of chicken breasts for dinner tonight to make things easier over the weekend and hit the grocery store tomorrow afternoon with a list of things that worked this week :)

Funny.  Since starting W30 and following the meal template, I notice that now I just 'think' about food in four food groups (protein, fat, veggies, starchy veggies) instead of whatever traditional food groups we learned about in elementary school health class (fruit/veg, dairy, meat, grain)  :)

Archived