Mine (and my Husband's) First Whole 30

Guest Wheat on Trial

Guest Wheat on Trial

Day 21 - woke up at 5am again and debated actually getting up and doing something, but my closed eyes won the battle. 

I've been having weird dreams over the last week - none that I can usually remember, and generally not about food, but I remember last night's. I dreamed about making a Lady Justice costume for Halloween where I could actually see through the blindfold using Google Glass. When I awoke suddenly at 5am, I said "Wow, what a great idea, I MUST make this happen!"

After waking up for real at 7am, I said "Wow, where the heck did that come from?" Strange and stupid.

Had a great workout at bodyworks followed by yoga. Started to develop a minor headache at bodyworks - it wore me out! But felt better during yoga. Feeling in a good mood and fairly energized.

Watch Food, Inc. today. I purposely didn't watch in the past because I was afraid on how it would shape my perception of food. While I was scrolling through Netflix looking for something to pass the time until the Super Bowl starts, I thought I would give it a try now that ISWF has enlightened me a bit.

Well, if I was even thinking about going back to conventional meats, forget it. I'm ok directing a larger portion of my income to quality meat from farmers that respect us and the animals they raise. The past few years, I have looked into community supported agriculture, and found a great CSA nearby - but have had difficulty becoming a member. I'm going to fight tooth and nail to join this year's share - have already written the farmer to inquire as to whether or not I can give a deposit this early in the season.

M1 - 3 eggs, spinach, coconut oil, coffee

M2 - 6 oz sirloin and a sweet potato, coffee

M3 - blueberry breakfast sausage from http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/p/whole30-oamc-freezer-menu.html

M4 - Paleo Pad Thai

Note that it's not a very superbowl-ish menu. That's ok - there will be future super bowls for me to party it up with, I'm not disappointed. We were invited to a friends' place to watch the Super Bowl, but we declined. Don't want to be tempted when I only have 9 days left on the plan.

Guest Wheat on Trial

Day 22 - a snow day! Glad I don't have to brave the elements to get to work, but still have to remote in to get my work done. Also, I won't be making it to the gym tonight because of the weather, so I'll have to go tomorrow instead. Tuesday's are typically a rest day, but I will do some intervals.

Feeling pretty good today. Still waking up at 5 for no reason. I did roll out of bed 15 minutes earlier than usual just to see if I could make it into the office, but by then the snow had already started. Still felt good to get the day started, though. Feeling pretty focused and very accomplished.

I have been having cravings for flavored coffee. Although I have beans ground up with cinnamon sticks - every time I go to make a cup, I debate getting a K-cup version of toffee nut or gingerbread, but talk myself out of it at the last minute. No reason to make it when I am enjoying cinnamon coffee. Just not sure why the thought even pops into my head. 8 more days and then I can start making flavored coffee again!

Tomorrow will be a challenge. I have an offsite meeting to attend for most of the day in which lunch will be provided and I don't think I'll have access to a fridge nor a microwave to bring my own. Plus, there's a networking component involved and I'll feel a bit odd breaking out the brown bag while everyone else is partaking in the company prepared lunch. I'm not sure how to handle it, other than to eat an exceptionally large breakfast and maybe pack a larabar as a snack to hold me over until dinner time. Any advice?

M2 - blueberry breakfast sausage, celery w/ sunbutter, and a sweet potato w/ coconut butter, coffee

M3 - planning on Coconut curried beef with zucchini noodles, tea

My advice is to just bring something that doesn't need to be reheated in an insulated bag. Don't draw a lot of attention to what you are doing. Just get it out and if anyone asks tell them that you are trying to identify some food allergies so you need to be very careful with what you eat right now. If you don't make a big deal about it they won't either. 

Guest Wheat on Trial

Day 23 - is there really only one week to go? I feel that maybe 30 days isn't enough. I enjoy what I'm eating and I can see myself eating this way for the most part after Day 30 - but I guess I just expected more dramatic changes at this point.

I think - if I suggested to my husband that we go beyond 30 days - he might revolt.

Anyway, lunch at my offsite meeting was sandwiches, as I expected. I ended up making myself an extra egg for breakfast to hold me over, brought myself two larabars, took a bit of the salad (no dressing) that was offered, and finished off with a plate of fruit salad. But I was pretty ravenous by the time the meeting let up at 3, so I made a stop at chipotle.

Had enough time to hit the gym for 30 mins of interval training. Most likely will not make it to the gym tomorrow again due to impending snow.

M1 - 4 eggs, spinach, coconut oil, coffee

M2 - 2 larabars, salad, fruit salad, coffee

M3 - Carnitas salad at Chipotle with pico and guac

M3 - Coconut curried beef with zucchini noodles, tea. 2 tbsp of sunbutter (i have to stop giving into cravings for that stuff.)

Guest Wheat on Trial

Day 24 is just beginning, but it's already gotten off to a weird start. Once again - very strange dreams last night, including my first food-related dream (at least the first one as far as I remember).

There was one non-food related dream... that I was leaving my two cats with my old college roommate for the summer (A. I've been out of college for over 10 years. B. I didn't have cats in college. C. The roommate is someone I haven't seen or spoken to in quite some time). She said "well, I can't take care of them, so they'll have to go outside." And - for whatever reason - that was agreeable to me for about 10 minutes while she drove me home for summer vacation. But then I made the right choice - we turned around and I picked up the cats to bring home.

The second dream was about cookies - my first food dream since starting the W30 (at least that I remembered). I had baked chocolate chip cookies with compliant W30 ingredients - and as I was listing them out to my husband, I remembered that chocolate chips are NOT compliant because of sugar. Was very happy to wake up and learn that I did NOT actually do that.

I need a new "hunger test" besides the steamed fish and broccoli test. I feel like I could ALWAYS eat steamed fish and broccoli, and anything else in the house. Case in point - I had an uncontrollable moment last night with the Sunbutter and the coconut butter. I won't call it a binge because I regained control comparatively quickly, but I must stop eating from the jar. Those items should only be paired with real food - apples, celery, sweet potatoes, or part of a sauce. I MUST break the habit. I wonder if these moments are why I'm not experiencing the dramatic change I was hoping for by now. I think I'm seeing improvements in my skin - I know I have never once felt bloated in the last 24 days, even after minor binges. With 6 days remaining, my plan is to still go through the reintroduction phase with my husband as he is ready to be done. I'll probably go right into another whole 30 right afterwards, and allow him to make his own choices.

No workout today, I think - it's a pretty nasty day out there. No snow, but it was icy rain for a while, and now regular rain, turning all of our snow into slush and water that has no where to drain. We'll see how I'm feeling at 5:00.

I've been trying to keep us occupied on weekends with non-food things. Sure, cooking has been kind of fun (still work, though), but in the past, going out to eat has been something to look forward to on weekends. I know I'd like to do less of it in the future. I've booked massages, haircuts, mani/pedis - this weekend (weather pending) my husband is finally using his Christmas Groupon for a helicopter pilot lesson. Another groupon just came in for "infrared saunas" at a local tanning salon. Now I KNOW tan beds are completely unhealthy - but I know nothing about infrared saunas. And - frankly - on a day like today, something warm sounds wonderful. So I'm debating... anybody have any experience with these?

Lastly - meal log today - considering repeating my breakfast for lunch. Only because I'm working with what I have on hand to get me through the rest of the week without needing to stop at a grocery store. Any concerns with my planned meals?

M2 - 6 eggs, w30 compliant beef stick, spinach, coconut oil, coffee. tea. RAVENOUS.

M3 - 4oz grass-fed organic NY strip steak, mashed cauliflower, tea

FYI - The grass-fed NY strip steak came from an amazon local deal I purchased two weeks ago for the American Farmer's Network. We have already eaten a few of the steaks from this package, and we thought they were pretty delish - so we ordered another deal before it expired. And - in other good news - for the first time in three years of asking, I finally got a response from the local CSA! Looks like we'll be joining this summer from June - September. The June and July shares from last year didn't look all that great (lots of lettuce), but the late summer/early fall shares look awesome. Hopefully they yield a good crop this year.

Guest Wheat on Trial

Day 25. Disappointment. There's 5 days left and I'm feeling a lack of "Life Changing" going on that the Whole 30 promised.

Yes - it has changed the way I eat and possibly how I will eat in the future. But no, it has not changed my life. My weight is not where I want it to be (at least I don't think - my clothes still feel the same). I don't have unlimited energy (although every day, I continue to wake up around 6am instead of 7 - but with no motivation to get out of bed).

Maintaining control around food is still an issue. I've definitely been more in control these last 25 days than I have in the past, but still have had a few problems. For example, yesterday I did eat some coconut butter out of the jar, but managed to stay pretty full throughout the evening with a steak and some mashed cauliflower. So yesterday was a pretty controlled day. I get worried because I'm getting coupons this week in email for "BOGOs' - starbucks, Noodles and Co. - and then start obsessing about how I'm going to take advantage of these once I'm off plan. Then I remember - this is supposed to instill some permanent change. If I'm craving fancy lattes at starbucks, what's really changed?

There's been some key learnings, so far, which is a positive. When I woke up this morning with a slight headache, I realized I had no starchy carbs (or sugary carbs for that matter, as I had no fruit) yesterday. Even though I didn't work out last night, I learned I do need carbs for optimal health.

So yes. There's change. But my expectations were higher. While I'm disappointed in current results, I'm still hopeful that - in the long term - I will continue to change for the better. I am hoping the reintroduction phase doesn't impact me terribly negatively, as I intend to go right back to W30 right afterwards.

Diet aside, I don't have much else to report. I did end up buying an infrared body wrap package, I purchased tickets to a coffee/tea festival, got another mani/pedi groupon, and continue to try to make every weekend this winter something to truly look forward to. (The weather sucks. I'm working from home again today only because I didn't want to slip and injure myself on the ice that's out there).

There's always the case of other factors in my life. Having a lot of difficulty at work this week. As I mentioned, weather is miserable. AND I've decreased my dosage of my anti-anxiety meds. So maybe this is what's keeping me from feeling my best.

M2 - blueberry breakfast sausage, celery w/ sunbutter, and a sweet potato w/ coconut butter, coffee

M3 - grass-fed burger with apple cider grilled onions, brussel sprouts

Day 25. Disappointment. There's 5 days left and I'm feeling a lack of "Life Changing" going on that the Whole 30 promised.

Yes - it has changed the way I eat and possibly how I will eat in the future. But no, it has not changed my life. My weight is not where I want it to be (at least I don't think - my clothes still feel the same). I don't have unlimited energy (although every day, I continue to wake up around 6am instead of 7 - but with no motivation to get out of bed).

Maintaining control around food is still an issue. I've definitely been more in control these last 25 days than I have in the past, but still have had a few problems. For example, yesterday I did eat some coconut butter out of the jar, but managed to stay pretty full throughout the evening with a steak and some mashed cauliflower. So yesterday was a pretty controlled day. I get worried because I'm getting coupons this week in email for "BOGOs' - starbucks, Noodles and Co. - and then start obsessing about how I'm going to take advantage of these once I'm off plan. Then I remember - this is supposed to instill some permanent change. If I'm craving fancy lattes at starbucks, what's really changed?

There's been some key learnings, so far, which is a positive. When I woke up this morning with a slight headache, I realized I had no starchy carbs (or sugary carbs for that matter, as I had no fruit) yesterday. Even though I didn't work out last night, I learned I do need carbs for optimal health.

So yes. There's change. But my expectations were higher. While I'm disappointed in current results, I'm still hopeful that - in the long term - I will continue to change for the better. I am hoping the reintroduction phase doesn't impact me terribly negatively, as I intend to go right back to W30 right afterwards.

Diet aside, I don't have much else to report. I did end up buying an infrared body wrap package, I purchased tickets to a coffee/tea festival, got another mani/pedi groupon, and continue to try to make every weekend this winter something to truly look forward to. (The weather sucks. I'm working from home again today only because I didn't want to slip and injure myself on the ice that's out there).

There's always the case of other factors in my life. Having a lot of difficulty at work this week. As I mentioned, weather is miserable. AND I've decreased my dosage of my anti-anxiety meds. So maybe this is what's keeping me from feeling my best.

M3 - grass-fed burger with apple cider grilled onions, brussel sprouts

I encourage you to give it the full 30 days with reintros before deciding how best to proceed and tweak things, both eating and otherwise. You might find this article helpful: http://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-tough-love/

Guest Wheat on Trial

Hello, Day 26. So happy to see you and glad the weekend is here.

I have decided for today to focus on the positive things I've experienced - rather than stay disappointed at the lack of extreme energy or anticipated weight loss I expected to see on the program.

Here's what the Whole 30 has done for me so far:

• My wedding band has fit me every single day. It was inconsistent before the W30 because I struggled with binge eating and probably bloated up from a lot of processed foods. Even though I have still fought cravings and the urge to binge during the last 26 days, binges have been far more infrequent than they were before I started the program.
  • I think my skin has cleared up a bit - hard to be certain cuz it ain't perfect - but I think it's looking less red and rosacea-like these days.
  • I have a lighter wallet, but a fuller spice rack. I have finally learned how to cook good food rather than relying on convenience. I know how to plan, get in and out of the grocery store quickly (as I frequently have had to make stops), and have experimented with new foods (coconut butter! rooibos tea! yams! paleo pad thai!)
  • I respect food. I understand the importance of buying organic meats from sustainable sources. No more looking to save a dollar at the cost of my health (and the planet's for that matter).

On that topic - I mentioned buying grass-fed, organic meat from the American Farmers Network Amazon Local deal a few nights ago. We fully enjoyed our steaks, but then when I went to look at the rest of the meat - bacon topped burgers, bratwursts, and hotdogs - there was nothing that was W30 compliant (sugars in all)! I didn't realize that when I purchased it - the ingredients weren't listed on their website. So we'll just eat these next week after the W30 is over, but I had to make an emergency run to the grocery store tonight to get some more compliant meat.

Yes, I do intend to start reintroduction on Day 31, as my husband is ready to go back to not worrying so much about what he's eating. (On the positive side, he did say he feels like he can now eat one cookie at his office instead of the whole box). But I think - after we eat up some of the "unhealthier" foods in my pantry - I'll be going right back into another W30.

M2 - grass-fed burger with apple cider grilled onions, brussel sprouts, celery with sunbutter, baby spinach salad with balsamic vinaigerette

M3 - Beef curry over zucchini noodles, two pitted dates, tea

Interval training for 3.5 miles tonight. Missed exercise the last two nights - Wednesday night due to weather, Thursday night because my husband was held up at work until very late in the evening (I need him to get into the gym).

Guest Wheat on Trial

Good morning, Tiger Blood! It's early on day 27, but I felt the need to share how excited I am.

I woke up at 4am (typical) with energy (atypical). If it wasn't cold and dark, I would have started my day then - but decided to stay warm and cozy. Got out of bed at about 6:45 (I'm usually up and out by 7am everyday, even on the weekends.)

But today, I felt like I could run a marathon at 4 this morning. And I've never run a marathon before.

Maybe it's just the weekend talking. Or maybe it's my new found positive approach to the changes I have noticed. I spent some time trolling the forums for others who felt disappointed in a lack of weight loss, and learned something - the dramatic weight loss I was expecting isn't going to happen in 30 days. Positive, lasting weight loss happens slowly over time - those on the Whole 30 who have experienced immediate weight loss probably had a lot more than the last 10 lbs I have to go, and that works for them. For me...  I'll stay optimistic that 6 months down the road, I'll be where I want to be.

I had some added victories last night - I purchased almonds and pitted dates at the grocery store last night, and had the urge to eat them in the car. In a "past life," those almonds wouldn't have even made it home - the whole bag would be polished off in a 15 minute drive. But it was easy to dismiss the urge, knowing I was going to have a healthy dinner shortly. Even after dinner, I had two pitted dates - had a slight urge to continue eating dates, but ignored it and enjoyed the rest of my evening. WIN!

In an interesting coordination of events, Day 30 will also be my last day on my anti-anxiety meds. Weird how that worked out. I wonder if I'm going to experience instant anxiety due to a combination of no meds AND introducing some sugars back into the diet. Something to be mindful of...

Today is a long run day, and then going with my husband for his helicopter pilot lesson. It was a groupon deal I got him for a Christmas present - NO I am not getting in the helicopter :)

Meal plan for the day:

M2 - Beef curry over zucchini noodles, maybe an apple, coffee

M3 - balsamic marinated chicken, baby spinach salad with balsamic vinaigerette, sweet potato, tea

Maybe it's just the weekend talking. Or maybe it's my new found positive approach to the changes I have noticed. I spent some time trolling the forums for others who felt disappointed in a lack of weight loss, and learned something - the dramatic weight loss I was expecting isn't going to happen in 30 days. Positive, lasting weight loss happens slowly over time - those on the Whole 30 who have experienced immediate weight loss probably had a lot more than the last 10 lbs I have to go, and that works for them. For me...  I'll stay optimistic that 6 months down the road, I'll be where I want to be.

I am so happy to see you post this! And glad you are experiencing more energy! These are the kind of light bulb moments that make me smile! :)

Guest Wheat on Trial

Is it really day 28 already?

This morning, I woke up at 4am with energy again - only this time it was nervous energy. I had a chicken slow cooking in the crock pot and seemed to think that somehow my cats got into it. I reminded myself how ridiculous that scenario was, and tried to go back to sleep - but was awake at 5 with the same concern. Finally, at 6:15, I figured I'd get up and go check on it.

Of course, it was fine. It was also done, so I used the morning to make some bone broth.

Sundays are my bodyworks/yoga day - 2 hours at the gym. For the first time in... well, I can't really remember in how long... I was able to use my heavier weights during body works for the entire duration of the workout. So that was a plus (although I found it odd that - even with my extra energy yesterday - I still only made it 5 miles for my long run. My long run is usually 6-7 miles). But, not going to dwell on that. 5 is fine.

I had purchased myself an "infrared body wrap" groupon - I had no idea what it was, but it sounded relaxing. Went there after my gym time this morning. A very odd experience - basically, I was wrapped in a very heavy, very hot blanket (kind of like the horse blanket they put on you at the dentist office before taking x-rays) and was left to sweat buckets for an hour. I guess people think this makes them thinner, but they'll be disappointed. I enjoyed the heat - felt good on my muscles and I did manage to squeeze in a short nap (needed after waking up at 4am so often!)

Only two days left! Did some meal prep for the week, and now I'm going to wind down with some dinner. Maybe some TV.

M1 - Flax mug muffin (I really needed a change from eggs), apple, pistachios, coffee

M2 - Slow cooked chicken (that my cat did NOT eat), baby spinach salad with balsamic vinaigerette, sweet potato, coffee

M3 - salmon with green beans (http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/2012/09/make-ahead-salmon-with-green-beans.html), dates and pistachios, tea

If you need a break from eggs than just eat a different protein. You can make breakfast sausages or you can just have leftover meat from another meal. Did the recipe for the flax mug muffin have any protein in it at all? If you are still struggling on your runs you should try eating more on your workout days. For 2 hours at the gym your food seems on the low side to me though it is hard to tell what the portions were.

Almost there...finish strong!

Guest Wheat on Trial

Day 29. Woke up at 4 (what's the deal with that, anyway? Am I just hungry at 4am?) - had considerably less energy today, but I attribute it to Monday. (Theory proven when I ended my work day and enjoyed a 5.5 mile run).

If you need a break from eggs than just eat a different protein. You can make breakfast sausages or you can just have leftover meat from another meal. Did the recipe for the flax mug muffin have any protein in it at all? If you are still struggling on your runs you should try eating more on your workout days. For 2 hours at the gym your food seems on the low side to me though it is hard to tell what the portions were.

Almost there...finish strong!

Yes, the flax muffin contains an egg. The flax itself added probably about 6 grams of protein. No worries - I'm back to my usual egg breakfasts as of this morning!  I otherwise felt ok with what I ate yesterday - but it's interesting, because I did intend on running 6 miles tonight but only made it 5.5 before I got a minor cramp. Something I'll keep in mind.

Made another stop at the Indian grocery store today to stock up on more spices (so much cheaper than the conventional grocery!), including cinnamon and cardamom ($$$$$ even at the Indian grocery store!) so that I could make this tonight:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-chai-latte/

The recipe came to my email box yesterday, so I figured why not. It did not disappoint.

M1 - eggs, spinach, coconut oil, coffee

M2 - Chicken soup made from my bone broth and slow cooked chicken, spinach salad w/ olive oil and balsamic, celery, apple w/sunbutter. Coffee.

M3 - salmon with green beans, chai latte

Has it been a perfect whole 30? No. I have still fallen victim to cravings and snacking on occasion. I didn't always get a PWO in on workout days. I don't think the scale will have changed much if I decide to step on it on Wednesday. But I'm ok with this. I'm satisfied with what I've learned, and will focus now on not being too nervous about the reintroduction phase.

Now... how much will I be messing with my reintros if I decide to have a glass of wine on Valentine's Day with my husband? :)

Guest Wheat on Trial

Day 30.

Where are my balloons, streamers, and confetti? It feels a bit anticlimatic. Woke up at 4 (will this go away after I reintroduce certain foods? Pretty please?), rolled out of bed at 7, but didn't feel particularly energized. I dragged my butt getting to work today. Once again, aforementioned tiger blood returned to me after work today.

M1 - eggs, spinach, coconut oil, coffee

M2 - Chicken soup, spinach salad w/ olive oil and balsamic, celery, apple w/sunbutter. Coffee.

M3 - Remaining chicken from crock pot chicken, butternut squash with coconut butter, almonds, tea

I have my version of Well Fed's chocolate chili in the crock pot (using the non-recommend "plop" method, plus adding some carrots and celery). Can't wait to try it tomorrow with a little bit of cheese (Welcome back dairy. Maybe I will take advantage of a Buy One, Get One latte at Starbucks).

Ran about 3 miles of intervals at the gym - needed to make it a quick, short workout to go do the dreaded tax prep tonight (and, of course, we owe. We always owe.)

Wish I had more to say, but perhaps it just feels like the whole 30 has become a routine for me. I'm anxious to see what the reintroduction phase brings. Which leaves me with two outstanding questions:

- Should I consider probiotic supplements during reintros?

- How about that glass of wine on Friday night with my husband for Valentine's Day - yay/nay?

Guest Wheat on Trial

And day 31.

It's early on day 31, but I felt the need to empty my thoughts down somewhere. Despite my shift towards focusing on positive changes, I do feel extremely disappointed by what the scale told me this morning.

Rationally, I shouldn't be disappointed because I don't know what I was before I started. I couldn't get my personal scale working before I started the Whole 30 last month. I was weighed at the doctor's office three days into the program, and the number I was given there was unbelievably high. It's always higher at the doctor's office, so I often don't get weighed when I go in for an appointment - but because I just wanted to have some kind of number on hand, I decided to get weighed that day.

My weight could have been inflated for lots of reasons - just got back from a 4 day cruise. I typically weigh myself first thing in the morning, not after I've had breakfast/coffee/have to go to the bathroom, etc.

When I got on my personal scale today (had to ask my husband to help me get it working), it was lower than what was at the doctors last month. But the number was in line with what I consistently have weighed in at in the past. I had a number in my head - about 5 lbs less - that I was really hoping for. Maybe thought I might be surprised.

So now, I just feel 'meh' despite trying to talk myself out of feeling 'meh'. Based on the data I actually have on hand, I lost weight. (But it isn't a fair comparison because of the scale differences). But I'm still a long way from where I want to be. I keep looking for something to blame - too much coffee? Failure to implement PWO meals consistently? The occasional snacking? What should I do differently next time?

Focusing on the future now. I'll do my reintros as planned. I am going to join Crossfit at the end of the month when my regular gym membership expires. And - as I get rid of the less healthy stuff in my kitchen - I will work hard NOT to replace it.

Planned meals for the day:

M1: 2 eggs with spinach, coconut oil, cheese, coffee (I ate one less egg this morning since I was adding the cheese)

M2: Chocolate chili from well fed (which, by the way, I see why the 'plop' method into the slow cooker is not recommended. Came out more broth-y then I think chili should be), cheese. Coffee. Maybe an apple.

M3: Same as M2. Might get a latte from starbucks for me and my husband since we have a buy one, get one coupon.

Personal training tonight, then probably shoveling some snow.

I wouldn't worry about the scale if you weren't able to weigh in beforehand. And especially if you weighed after eating. The most consistent time to weigh is first thing in the morning before you eat anything. After that, weight fluctuates several pounds throughout the day. I've seen a difference of 2-3 lbs after consuming a full meal w/ a big glass of water. Do you think you LOOK trimmer?

I wouldn't worry about the scale period. All the scale gives you is the relationship between your body and gravity. It fluctuates wildly. Sit down and really think about all the other things you have gained from this experience. I would encourage you going forward to focus on body composition changes vs weight changes. Your scale is broken anyway so throw it away. Get a tape measure and record some data and check back in a month. I do still think you are not quite eating enough which can slow fat loss. 

You had a very successful 30 days of healthy eating and if you gained nothing else (though I think you did) you accomplished that and you should be proud!

Go ahead and have that glass of wine if you want it on Friday but I might suggest not introducing anything else that day.

Guest Wheat on Trial

Thanks for the encouragement.

Day 32 begins. I should probably move this over to the post whole 30 log forum to stay on topic, but I like tracking here in one spot. Once the reintro phase ends, and I feel the need to log my life after the whole 30, I'll move over there.

So yesterday was dairy day. Throughout the day, I was waiting for "it" to hit me. I don't know what "it" was going to be - exhaustion? Digestive problems? But "it" never came. I felt fantastic - breezed through a personal training session, was feeling strong and in a good mood.

But then I had trouble getting to sleep last night. I felt anxious about a few things, including an impending fight between myself and my husband regarding a certain recipe he wants to make. I ended up waking up at 3 (that's new!), and tossing and turning until rolling out of bed at 7. Can't even think about food right now - I feel so full and bloated. I have not missed this feeling one iota. I am not sure whether to blame dairy or the fact that I also had a "food with no breaks" moment yesterday with a bag of almonds. I think nuts are probably something I'll need to eliminate from my kitchen going forward.

The bad weather today will keep me inside, which is fine - planned my workout schedule around this storm this week, so today's a rest day. Today and tomorrow will be W30 compliant eating again (with the exception of a glass of wine tomorrow night), and then will probably try some non-gluten grains on Saturday.

M1: Eggs with spinach, coconut oil, coffee

M2: Chocolate chili, apple, probably coffee again since it's cold and snowy.

M3: Chocolate chili.

Archived