Finishing Day 3... need advice on preventing weight loss

HurleysMomma

I am currently finishing Day 3 of my first ever Whole 30 (yay!) It took me a year of reading about this program to believe in myself and to rid the attitude "I could never do this or eat that way." I am a pasta, bread, cheese, chocolate, and beer addict. But I also have acne, GERD, chronic back/neck pain, and a family history of heart disease & diabetes. So I needed to make a change! My husband is very picky and could live on eating pizza every day, but he has been very supportive of me during this time.

I am 5'8" and 125 pounds and have a very high metabolism. I am usually hungry every two hours and always seem to need a snack. I have only stuck to three meals per day for these last 3 days, but I feel a constant hunger (more hungry in my head than in my belly though!) I have been eating to fullness and I feel like I have been including enough healthy fat (mostly coconut oil) but I am worried that I will lose weight. When talking to my friends & family about Whole 30, many of them have expressed concern that I may lose weight also. I DO NOT want to lose weight, and probably could afford to gain some weight. Is anyone in a similar situation or have any advice on what I should do or add to my diet/daily eating schedule? Also, I know that nuts are to be eaten in limited amounts, but I have eaten a small handful of almonds with two of my meals so far (not as just a separate "snack".) I felt like that might be a good way to easily add some more fat, but I am open to suggestions from some experienced Whole 30-ers, since I am just a beginner. Thank you everyone! I am so glad that there is a place for support here :)

This recent article on Keeping Weight On During a Whole30 will interest you: http://whole9life.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/comment-page-1/

If you're hungry every 2 hours, that tells me you're not eating enough. Your Whole30 meals should satiate you for 4-5 hours.

Could you post 2-3 days worth of your food log, so folks here can give you feedback?

Thanks for the article link! Being new to this, I am not totally familiar with the whole website. That really helps a lot!

My first three days were basically identical. For breakfast I am eating a banana, a couple of clementines, and an egg casserole with spinach, tomatoes, and mushrooms.

For lunch I have eaten either some carrots or other side vegetable and some chili that is made with squash.

And for dinner I have been eating either chicken, salmon, or shrimp in a spinach salad with other veggies (also olives and hard boiled eggs) & an olive oil dressing I made with either a side of steamed broccoli, asparagus, or cauliflower. I have been cooking everything in coconut oil and olive oil, and I add garlic to everything! At a few of these meals, I have ended with eating a small handful of almonds or an apple as my "dessert."

After reading the above article, I see that I should definitely probably do four meals when I can. I also have really never eaten sweet potatoes, but see that I should incorporate them into my diet. I bought some today for the first time ever! Thanks again for the article link, and I look forward to any other feedback I can get.

Here's another document to consider your "bible" for every meal: the Whole30 meal template http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Every meal should have 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, and the appropriate amount of compliant fat.  

Fruit is limited to 1-2 daily servings, where a serving is the size of your fist, and you're having fruit with or immediately after a meal.

With that all in mind:
- Decrease the amount of fruit you're having at breakfast. Limit it to 1 serving.

- Try to move away from the idea of needing "dessert." Eat more if you need to, to feel satiated, but not to have something sweet.

Sweet potatoes aren't your only carb-dense vegetable. Other options include winter squash, beets, carrots, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips.

Archived