Fat Bombs

sdafergu

My boyfriend has been doing keto and I learned about fat bombs with them. Basically, they consist of coconut oil, almond butter, 100% cocoa, and a sweetener of some sort. Obviously a sweetener is a no-no, so I've made them with all the same ingredients and a sprinkling of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice mix instead. Is this okay as a small daily treat (1-2 tbsp mixture) per day? Or is it too much SWYPO?

• 1 year later...

Further question on this......for those looking for other avenues to get their fat in that don't eat avocados or olives or mayo, would a combination of cashew butter, avocado oil and a small amount of lemon or lime juice made into dollops to be used on a plate still be considered off limits? Trust me, these things are not what I'd grab for fat for the first thing (not a treat)....  To me, these are just a different avenue to get fat in. No cocoa/sweetener, no vanilla?

Further question on this......for those looking for other avenues to get their fat in that don't eat avocados or olives or mayo, would a combination of cashew butter, avocado oil and a small amount of lemon or lime juice made into dollops to be used on a plate still be considered off limits? Trust me, these things are not what I'd grab for fat for the first thing (not a treat)....  To me, these are just a different avenue to get fat in. No cocoa/sweetener, no vanilla?

There are many fat choices: clarified butter, coconut oil, coconut milk, bacon fat, tallow, etc. Instead of making a dollop like you described, use the cashew butter to making something like sunshine sauce. If you like avocado oil and lemon together, make a dressing or mayo with it.

No, you freeze 'em on parchment paper -- it's mostly for those who have had issues getting their fats in.  Freeze 'em on parchment, then move to the fridge and pop 'em like pills.....like I said, not for most, but for those who can't stand coconut oil (that would be me, but I love other fat sources), avocado oil, mayo makes 'em gag, etc.

no. use fats to make food. eat food. don't try to replace it with a food-like item you don't have to taste or chew. If someone doesn't like any fat sources, then they will need to work a little harder to transition to eating a whole30-style menu. Skipping that transition doesn't do them any favors.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived