Week 12 to Week 16 Pregnant Whole 30

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I despise mustard and can detect it in the smallest quantities. Is that a deal breaker with mayo? Mustard...even the smell...makes me want to vomit and being pregnant and having that smell/taste around just wouldn't be a great thing. I'm asking so many questions because I'd hate to waste a whole cup of olive oil by not getting adequate information.

I can't seem to find an actual recipe for that avocado basil dressing.. Sounds great! Would you mind posting?

Sorry I should have said that was from NomNomPaleo's cookbook. I don't see the recipe on the website. Out of respect for her copyright I'm not going to post the recipe. 

Again sorry.

Day 3 is underway and I've been keeping a picture food journal ...not tracking any numbers of any kind. Hunger is pretty nonexistent even 4 hours after eating. I can make it 5 hours pretty consistently but my meals are large. I'm feeling good and I know I'm not overeating. Everything has been 100% compliant and I've had no issues whatsoever. Here's to another 27+ days.

Thanks Chris. That makes me feel much better. I'm baking sweet potatoes this morning so that should help with the need for a bit more carbs. 

This will be total TMI so I apologize in advance but it's so bizarre that I have to share...I'm almost ALWAYS one to have constipation woes irrespective of what I eat but today that was NOT the case.  During my 7 mile run I stopped 5...YES 5!!!!...times to go number 2. The first one was "normal" in texture but the other 4 were quite the opposite. I'm not sure why as I never have issues with loose stools. It doesn't bother me as I just see it as my body working and perhaps flushing out some old gunk since I don't poo often and when I do it's incomplete. Just weird. 

I had breakfast at 9 this morning. Class till 12 and I worked out afterward so I had a date beforehand (just 1 because I needed carbs) and a single hard boiled egg on the walk from the gym over to my meeting. It's now 4:15pm, so 7 hours later and I'm not DYING. this is news! I'm hungry but not more so than when I was eating a "healthy" conventional diet and went without food for 3 hours. Winning.

How are you doing? I am also pregnant- 8 weeks or so right now. I have an upcoming trip this weekend (where I don't want to have to stress about food) but am planning a whole 30 when I return (Sunday the 16th). So I'll be doing it from 8-12 weeks- Feb. 16-Mar. 17. I've done two in the past and have enjoyed the challenge. We'll see how I handle it while pregnant! What day are you on? 

I'm on day 11 and still going strong. I don't feel much different or better at all really but I know that I'm doing a great thing for my little one so I'm still trucking along.

I actually would've been finishing up on the 16th but I came down with a horrible cold and just kind of lost my resolve for a day or two.

I guess one benefit is that I'm finding it easier to not snack between meals so long as I'm not at home. Being at home = being bored = boredom eating so I try to get out of the house after meals and do something productive (I'm finishing up my last semester of law school so there's much to do on a daily basis). 

I'm 15.5 weeks now so already in the second trimester--fortunately, I didn't really have morning sickness or any serious side effects of being pregnant (only nausea when I'd go too long without eating and some food aversions but I never vomited). 

Anyway, I think it's fantastic that you're doing your Whole 30 in the first trimester--you might find yourself more reliant on fruits and sweet potatoes than usual and if that's all you can stomach then I say cut yourself some slack. I know that for me a lot of my "normal foods" were just gross and carbs just seemed to agree with me more. 

Day 11..according to the timeline...

Days 10-11: The Hardest Days

Fact: you are most likely to quit your Whole30 program on Day 10 or 11. By this point, the newness of the program has worn off. You've made it through most of the unpleasant physical milestones, but you've yet to experience any of the “magic†the program promises. You're still struggling to establish your new routine (read: you've eaten eggs prepared ten different ways over the last ten days), and while you've been trying really hard to have a good attitude, today you are incredibly aware of all the foods you're “choosing not to eat right now.† Everywhere you look, you see the things you “can't†have: the melted cheese on a greasy burger, the creaminess of that double-scoop cone, the cold beer in your best friend's tailgate cooler. Dammit, this is hard! And right now you're wondering if the results will really be as good as “they†all say it is.

You're cranky, you're impatient, and you're really, really tempted to just eat the stupid cheese.

This is where you really start to experience the psychological hold that your food habits have on you. You've put in a lot of effort to get to where you are right now, but you're still waiting for the results you're hoping to see. Your  brain tells you that you deserve some kind of reward (don't you?) and, of course, we've been conditioned to think of food as the best reward out there. Right now, you're craving that ice cream, beer, or whatever treat you think would make for just the right reward. But, instead of that treat, you're standing face to face with the realization that you have 20 more days of deprivation ahead of you.

The key here is to redefine your idea of reward.  Think long and hard about the foods you're grieving and ask yourself what need you're expecting them to fulfill.  Are you feeling anxious and looking for reassurance?  Are you feeling sad, and looking for something to cheer you up? Are you worried you won't successfully finish the program, and it's easier to self-sabotage than fail? Remind yourself that food cannot fill that void for you—cannot make you feel truly accomplished, comforted, calm, happy, beautiful. Then, find another way to fill that need that does not involve those foods. Prepare yourselves for these days, knowing that all you have to do is see them through to the other side before things get much, much easier.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/#sthash.IZi27UJb.dpuf

So, today I WILL NOT FAIL. I WILL NOT CAVE. I WILL NOT SUCCUMB TO ANY TEMPTATIONS. It is not worth it to self-sabotage and I know that right now I'm going through a particularly difficult time in my life and there's nothing that I can gain from eating non-compliant food that will make the stress, anxiety, and self-loathing go away--actually quitting would make it worse because it would add one more failure to the list that I've started tallying in my head. So, this is something I CAN DO and I WILL DO for me and my little one. I am capable of doing DIFFICULT THINGS and this is far from one of them. Food is food is food and as good as something SEEMS it rarely actually ends up living up to the hype. That's the honest to goodness truth. So, whatever it is, IT CAN WAIT for 19 more days. That's a fact! 

Day 15--feeling better today than I have been lately. I made chicken tikka masala last night and it was DELICIOUS. I still have ~1.5 servings left or thereabouts. 

Today's meals...

Meal 1 (7:30am):

• ~ half a bag of dried apricots (oops) 
  • 3 eggs fried in coconut oil 
  • cole slaw blend 
  • grapefruit 

Pre-workout (12:45pm) 

• chicken hot dog

Meal 2 (4:25pm)

• frittata--made w/ eggs, red onion, spinach, mushrooms, and chicken sausage
  • roasted cumin carrots from Well Fed  

It sounds like you are doing well! I had every intention of starting yesterday but returned from my travels on Sunday really late so I didn't have groceries or any food prepped for the week. I went grocery shopping tonight, though, and am ready to start tomorrow. I'm excited! I'm about 9w now and the fatigue is juuust starting to creep in after work. Hopefully the Whole30 helps. Keep going! You're doing great!

Okay, so I finished off the last of my nuts. No more nuts. Period.

I have a dinner with another couple tomorrow. I think I'm going to make something out of compliant ingredients but technically SWYPO because I think it will be rather awkward to bring dessert for everyone else and not have anything at all so Im going to make something that I can eat without upsetting my stomach or derailing my progress even if it's technically not allowed.

I'll be on day 22 tomorrow and plan to extend my whole 30 to 35 days --not because of the SWYPO but because I want to have 4 whole weeks between my prenatal appointments so that I can know just how much "overeating" I've actually done. Of course I expect to gain but I don't want to exceed the guidelines and wind up with a 10 pound baby and a c-section. So, I am conscious of how rapidly I'm putting weight on--so, that's my reason for that. 

Anyway--once my fruit is gone I think I'm going to cut that out as well --not completely but I just won't have it daily anymore. I'd actually really like to restart my whole 30 with a few rules in place to get the most out of it (i.e. no "snacking" and instead have 4 meals a day of equal size, no nuts, and fruit only on occasion) but we shall see about that. I don't think this is likely simply because my husband probably wouldn't be too thrilled about it.

Another part of me is thinking that I could just incorporate dairy in which case I would take one day off to introduce dairy and see how I tolerate that and if it's not bad I would follow all of the whole 30 rules with the addition of dairy (so I guess that would be "primal") and do that for 4 weeks (until my next appointment)--so no added sugar, no non-compliant oils, no grains, no legumes, no soy, etc. I think my husband would tolerate this a bit better because overall he views the whole 30 as unduly restrictive. 

I'm blabbing. Sorry. I guess I'm just looking to the future so that I don't make any rash decisions about reintros and where to go from here. 

Archived