Day 18, Not feeling much different!

spw

Hi All,

I am at day 18 (woo!) with no cheats (woo!) though I have eaten out a few times, done my due diligence but there may have been something tiny I missed in that process.

Anyways, I don't feel much different! I am sleeping worse, surprisingly. The one thing I have noticed is that I get a little less sore after workouts.

I have been eating mostly meat, some veggies, some fruit and lots of nuts. Lots of avocados and sweet potatoes. Larabars about 4-5x per week when needed.

I also have been not eating until I am super full, so  maybe that's it?

Pre- Whole30, I ate relatively healthy but definitely a lot of grains and dairy.

I just want to feel tigerblood! And have some chronic pain issues subside would be awesome.

I feel like I am doing something wrong though I am not eating anything I can't... maybe it's proportions?

Thank you!
Sara

You don't want to eat until "super full," you want to eat to satiate you.  This is a learning process to gauge.

If you post 2-3 days worth of your food log, including proportions, that would help in giving you more specific feedback.

Watch the Larabars - they are emergency food only on a Whole30. Are you truly having 4-5 emergency situations a week?  ;)

Thanks! I guess sometimes I am not eating as consistently as others.

Yesterday:

Breakfast: piece of chicken breast, apple, banana

Pre-WO snack: Larabar

Lunch: Salmon cake (1 small), was on the go)

Dinner: 3 sweet poatato carrot ginger cakes, one salmon cake, one small piece of chicken breast, smoothie with almond milk, banana and cacao nibs

Typical breakfast: 2 eggs with sweet potato hash, whole avocado

Lunch: 6 small meatballs, 1.5 handfuls brussels sprouts

Dinner: Salmon (6oz?) with a veggie

Snack: apple with almond butter and cinnamon 

And lots of herbal tea!

I guess I am probably not having enough veggies... Hmmm. I figured I'd feel better just from at least eating the right ingredients (which I am confident I am doing). It's also hard because I keep kosher so I need to really prepare because I can't have any meat at restaurants, on the go, etc.

Thanks again!

Thanks! I guess sometimes I am not eating as consistently as others.

Yesterday:

Breakfast: piece of chicken breast, apple, banana

Pre-WO snack: Larabar

Lunch: Salmon cake (1 small), was on the go)

Dinner: 3 sweet poatato carrot ginger cakes, one salmon cake, one small piece of chicken breast, smoothie with almond milk, banana and cacao nibs

Typical breakfast: 2 eggs with sweet potato hash, whole avocado

Lunch: 6 small meatballs, 1.5 handfuls brussels sprouts

Dinner: Salmon (6oz?) with a veggie

Snack: apple with almond butter and cinnamon 

And lots of herbal tea!

I guess I am probably not having enough veggies... Hmmm. I figured I'd feel better just from at least eating the right ingredients (which I am confident I am doing). It's also hard because I keep kosher so I need to really prepare because I can't have any meat at restaurants, on the go, etc.

Thanks again!

Ok, let's start with the meal template.  Be sure every meal adheres to the template. That means 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Breakfast and lunch yesterday were missing veggies. Lunch was definitely not big enough on the protein, and unclear what you had for fat at breakfast and lunch.  Your typical day looks better, although still not clear what you're getting for fat at lunch and dinner.

Do not use Larabars for pre or post wo.  Per the template, no fruit in the pre or post wo snack. Pre wo should be protein and optional fat. Post workout should be protein and carb. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Snacks typically indicate a need to increase your portion sizes at earlier meals.  If you increase your veggies/protein/fat as indicated above and you're still hungry in between, have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat.

Limit your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to enjoy with or immediately after your main meals only.

I encourage you to incorporate these changes for the remainder of your Whole30, and would be surprised if you didn't notice a difference.

Ah, ok! I find it really hard to only have a palm sized amount of protein, I never get full on that. 

Some days I am definitely more on the ball in terms of the template, others are a little more scattered. Have I been screwing this whole thing up? I am working so hard, cooking all the time... spending my life's savings! (Ok I am exaggerating). 

Will stick to this. It's just so hard on the go to have all this ready-- a protein for pre and post WO? Am I supposed to caryr chicken with me everywhere and hope it doesn't go bad?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you SO much!

Ah, ok! I find it really hard to only have a palm sized amount of protein, I never get full on that. 

Some days I am definitely more on the ball in terms of the template, others are a little more scattered. Have I been screwing this whole thing up? I am working so hard, cooking all the time... spending my life's savings! (Ok I am exaggerating). 

Will stick to this. It's just so hard on the go to have all this ready-- a protein for pre and post WO? Am I supposed to caryr chicken with me everywhere and hope it doesn't go bad?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you SO much!

So if 1 palm of protein isn't enough, have 2.  :) 

No, you haven't screwed up the whole thing. You're learning and adjusting as you go, which often occurs and is perfectly fine.

Bethany (Physibeth), another moderator here, frequently suggests printing out the meal template and posting it on your refrigerator. You might try that tip to keep you focused.

For protein pre and post wo, you can keep chicken in an insulated cooler bag, or have compliant tuna in packets ready, for example. Hard boiled eggs are good for pre wo. Lots of examples in the Whole30 for athletes forum. http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/11-whole30-for-athletes/

My husband and I are also on day 18. He already has noticed an improvement in his sleeping and clarity of thought throughout the day. Unfortunately, I'm not feeling any differently. I would love to be sleeping through the night; however, several hot flashes wake me during the night. I was hoping that I would have fewer hot flashes throughout the day and night....no change yet. Perhaps, this is why I'm tired. I tried Natural Calm, but it causes me to dream and I end up tossing and turning even more. I'm hoping to notice some changes sooner than later. I'd like to stay on this diet at least until the end of March when I have my yearly physical. I really hope to see lower blood pressure, weight loss and lower cholesterol levels. I will probably fall into a deep depression if there are no changes. Is it possible to be on this diet for 30-60 days and not notice some changes. It's difficult not feeling more energetic and thinner considering how much work this diet is.

Anyway, here's an example of a typical day for us, if you think we could do something differently, please let me know.

Breakfast: 1 egg, sweet potato hash, sautéed spinach, peppers and onions sometimes an orange or grapefruit

Lunch: usually leftovers...pork chop, cucumber and tomato salad, orange

Dinner: Zoodles and meatballs with marinara sauce (all homemade whole30 compliant) and a salad

Btw, I'm struggling with constipation and feeling tired. Any suggestions. Thanks.

My husband and I are also on day 18. He already has noticed an improvement in his sleeping and clarity of thought throughout the day. Unfortunately, I'm not feeling any differently. I would love to be sleeping through the night; however, several hot flashes wake me during the night. I was hoping that I would have fewer hot flashes throughout the day and night....no change yet. Perhaps, this is why I'm tired. I tried Natural Calm, but it causes me to dream and I end up tossing and turning even more. I'm hoping to notice some changes sooner than later. I'd like to stay on this diet at least until the end of March when I have my yearly physical. I really hope to see lower blood pressure, weight loss and lower cholesterol levels. I will probably fall into a deep depression if there are no changes. Is it possible to be on this diet for 30-60 days and not notice some changes. It's difficult not feeling more energetic and thinner considering how much work this diet is.

Anyway, here's an example of a typical day for us, if you think we could do something differently, please let me know.

Breakfast: 1 egg, sweet potato hash, sautéed spinach, peppers and onions sometimes an orange or grapefruit

Lunch: usually leftovers...pork chop, cucumber and tomato salad, orange

Dinner: Zoodles and meatballs with marinara sauce (all homemade whole30 compliant) and a salad

Btw, I'm struggling with constipation and feeling tired. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Breakfast looks light. A serving size of eggs is the number you can hold in your hand. For most people, that's at least 2 or 3.

I'm not sure of your portion sizes in other meals: are you both satiated? For me, I'd need more variety beyond salad-type veggies to fill me up. Asparagus, bok choy, broccoli, string beans, winter squash are among those that come to mind.

If you're tired, be sure you're having carb dense vegetables at least once daily. Also, are you staying sufficiently hydrated? Aim for drinking water, in the amount of at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

Since the Natural Calm didn't work for you, consider fermented food like kimchi, sauerkraut, and kombucha.

Finally, this may be semantics, but don't view this as a diet. It's a program for eating whole food and changing your relationship with food.

Thanks for the input, Chris. We are very satisfied at each meal. I honestly we couldn't eat another bite at breakfast without getting sick. We do eat a variety of different vegetables at dinner. I'm still getting used to cooking enough protein and vegetables at dinner to have enough leftovers to pack for us for lunch for the next day. I will be sure to add a carb dense vegetable at dinner. I read somewhere along the way that we want to be in ketosis (fat burning mode) all of the time. If so, would we want to be eating as many carb vegetables. Like I said before, I'm new at all this and I'm sure I currently don't quite understand all the science behind it.

You are correct in saying it's not a diet, we call it that for simplicity sake at the moment; but plan on continuing our new eating plan indefinitely.

I will give fermented vegetables a try; however, I can't swallow anything that tastes like vinegar. Do these fermented vegetables taste like that?

I definitely need to add more water to my day. I'm drinking a lot of hot tea (whole30 compliant) during the day. After ready some negative stuff about tea on a forum, perhaps I need to drop my tea habit.

I appreciate the feedback as I will need to be educated and encouraged to remain diligent to this new way of eating. :)

I read somewhere along the way that we want to be in ketosis (fat burning mode) all of the time. If so, would we want to be eating as many carb vegetables. Like I said before, I'm new at all this and I'm sure I currently don't quite understand all the science behind it.

No, the Whole30 does not recommend being in ketosis.  Again, Whole30 is not low carb.

You get into fat adapted mode by eating the right fats, as part of following the meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of vegetables, and the appropriate amount of compliant fat per meal. If you haven't seen the meal template, it provides examples of the right fats: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

I suppose fermented vegetables can taste vinegary, but kombucha does not.  :)

Tea is a fine drink while on a Whole30.  Just watch out for non-compliant ingredients like soy, stevia leaf and vanilla extract.

Archived