What are "Paleo" exercises? Recommended resources?

Desire Mapper

Good Morning,

Just joined the forum today. Apologies, if this is a silly question. I was curious to know if there are any places on the forum that help people participating in Whole 30 from the same gyms locate each other to maybe share workout ideas.

I realize that a number of paleo enthusiasts are also cross fit enthusiasts but the prices near me are too prohibitive.

I know that Cross Fit is also copy righted, so I would like like to know if there are resources for what kind of exercises can be done at home or at any gyms, which reflect the Cross Fit approach to exercise, or more importantly the paleo approach to exercise.

Apologies if I am repeating some one else's thread on the forum that I overlooked.

Trying to focus on my intention to become stronger in the new year.

Have you been to crossfit.com?  If you just look at the Workout of the Day on the homepage, you can pretty much adapt that to the equipment you have available to you.  On the Crossfit homepage, they also link to the Brand X forums, which scales every workout from "Big Dog" all the way down to "Puppy" depending on your experience and fitness level.  If you have a good base for most of the key lifts, you don't need a coach or a box to be able to do the workouts.  Just scale down the exercises you're unfamiliar with (IE, do them with an unweighted bar until you've got the movement down) and start slowly until you're comfortable with the rhythm.

Personally, I alternate between doing Crossfit style workouts and lifting weights.  I follow the protocol in "Starting Strength", which is basically just 3 sets of 5 reps of squats, then either bench press or push press, then deadlifts or cleans.  Three days a week I do that, followed up with some sprinting if I'm feeling spunky, and then two days a week I do whatever is on "Crossfitmoms", which is a site that adapts Crossfit workouts for pregnant ladies.

Another option is to check out the workout program (which I believe you have to pay for, but I think it's relatively inexpensive) over at Mark's Daily Apple, which focuses on "primal" exercises.  You could also check out MovNat, another option, (http://www.movnat.com/our-journal/#sthash.FLW9ILgX.dpbs), and Animal Flow over at Global Bodyweight Training (http://www.globalbodyweighttraining.com/the-animal-flow-workout-fitness-video/). 

Anyhoo, good luck with figuring out what works best for you!

• 3 months later...
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

Do you have your own equipment or access to crossfit style equipment (barbell, bumper plates, kettlebells, etc)?  If so, find a reputable gym and check their website each day for the WOD.  Two of the better programming boxes are Outlaw and CFNE.  

If you don't have access to equipment here is a list of "on the road" wods which are by nature minimal in terms of equipment.

"Paleo approach" is covered in the The Whole9 Five Movement Series here on the Whole9 blog Part1 Part2 Part3

Daily workouts - I like Bodeefit . They send you WODs by email. They have free options which is awesome. Most of them don't need any equipment, which is priceless when travelling. 

EPLifeFit - community ran by Jason Seib (Paleo Coach author) and Sarah F (Everyday Paleo). There is a monthly fee, but there is a promo right now. The post WODs with accent on heavy lifting + metcon part. You can submit your videos for their feedback etc. 

Thank you so much, Nadia. 

I have checked out local Cross Fit gyms. 1) I find the prohibitively expensive. 2) I wonder if I am the weaker than any woman they have ever encountered and feel like I'd need to improve much before I could do their beginner routines.

I bought a kettle bell and "Paleo workouts for Dummies". The recommended weight for e beginning woman seriously hurt my elbows when I tried the one arm movements.

This past week I returned to Bikram yoga, which I used to practice daily and gave me good strength when I did. I had a sneaking suspicion that my skeletal system was a wreck from spending too many hours hunched over a desk for years and not spending enough time in natural movement to correct it. This is the best starting place for me. I've been the last five days in a row. The first few classes were horrible because I couldn't even stand still right, but as soon as yesterday, only class five in a row, I felt my spine adjust much closer to where it needed to be and open up.

I would like to see more about different people's experiences and methods for getting stronger. Not only what works for them, but what is fun. I feel like I could use more fun. I used to be active but a series of injuries and not enough time off from work to heal and aging poorly have taken a toll on my body that I am trying to correct. I carry too much weight now and never thought I'd be in this position. Starting over is so much more difficult for me than it was to just start. I am on day 7 of a whole 30 and thinking of this as a journey to heal, learn the art of nourishment, and get stronger.  

• 1 month later...

Desire Mapper - While I love the paleosphere's food approach I will NEVER do cross fit. Given my medical condition, for me, its too high impact, and is too risky for me. I love yoga and barre workouts - they are fun, and they are strong and I've developed so much muscle (not to mention resilience in my muscles and joints so I don't bruise and bleed as easily). That is what works for me, and if you love Bikram, then go for it! If you like the exercise you're doing, and you feel its making you healthier (just like food, movement either makes you more or less healthy, they are the only options!), then do it! 

Archived