Hello! Hope you're well!

I loved doing whole 30, I dropped like a dress size and felt amazing. I experienced all of the benefits promise bar one... my work outs becoming more frequent and stronger.

No matter what, I couldn't string together the energy to evern run a 5k! The past couple days I've been eating "regularly", not badly, just being away with work I've had a couple sandwiches for lunch and a couple beers with my team. Since then, my work outs have been strong, well fuelled, and I'm pulling in some amazing times.

I genuinely believe in whole 30, but can't stand not being able to work out with virgor and strength, so my question is, what am I doing wrong in my whole30? What should I be eating more of (please don't say Sweet Potatoes - I have them pretty much daily!)

Cheers much, o wise ones!

It's hard to say what you should change without seeing what you've been eating.  :) 

Can you post 2-3 days worth of your food log, so folks here can give you feedback?  Also, how long have you been on your current Whole30?

Disclaimer! I am not a scientist, this is all based on my experience doing cardio during my Whole 30 (a thing that is still happening), but also in trying to switch this past summer from the chemical-y gels and Gatorade drinks to fuels found in nature. These are just my experiences and my understanding of the science behind them from research I found on the internet, which as we know does not always contain facts. However, these are the things that worked for me.

My guess here is that during your first whole 30 (if it was your first), probably your body was having trouble getting used to not having immediately available carbs to work with. When you previously did a 5K, did you eat a banana or something bread-y before you ran? If so, your body is used to not using your glycogen stores and/or your fat to fuel that 5K... it is taking the first and easiest available source of energy, the sugars from those carb-y items. That's why the sandwich/beers have helped. Your body is going YAY, EASILY AVAILABLE CARBS AGAIN. So what that says to me is that while you had an awesome whole 30 for weight loss and energy purposes, your body still had not adapted to burning fat in workouts instead of carbs.

For shorter-running cardio, that seems to be getting better for me. I haven't run yet, but I have been doing the Insanity program from Beachbody, which is a lot of plyo cardio, and the first two weeks of my whole 30 I had to take a lot of breaks, but it has improved vastly today (I'm on day 19 right now). Are you/were you doing your pre-workout meal when you were on the plan? Remember that since your pre-workout meal on the Whole 30 contains protein and fat, it will take a little longer to be there as available fuel - you can't just eat it and go like you would with the carbs. You want to eat it 15-30 minutes before your workout. Otherwise, your body gets caught up between using energy to digest the food, and using energy to work out, and you will bonk like the bonkingest bonker that ever bonked. (Or at least I would.)

For longer-term running, I would recommend getting one of the compliant larabars or some dried dates, because for endurance running I've found I can't just rely on breakfast alone; I haven't done this on the whole 30, but in preparation this summer I switched from using gels on long runs to pieces of Larabar. I found that they work just as well for endurance runs, just where I would pop a gel every 45 minutes in an endurance run, I would need to pop the Larabar piece about every 30, because there is fat in those and that slows the digestion. I wouldn't do a piece of Larabar BEFORE the run, because that just gets your body used to having that readily available sugar again. Obviously if that's what you want to do post whole 30 and it works for you, that's fine; this is just to help you get through your runs ON Whole 30.

This smarts of undercarbsumption ;)  Many folks who are used to a more typical american diet feel the effects of a significant drop in carbohydrate.  Those who participate in high intensity or endurance athletics feel that a bit more.  The solution here is to increase your carb intake until you feel comfortable during your workouts again.  Now, you may not see the same amount of weight loss as participants who are eating fewer starchy veggies but if your primary goal is to feel good during workouts you do what you gotta do. ;)

Archived