protein powder after Whole30

Hi there! I'm on Day 25 of my first Whole30. I can't believe that i have made it this far with no cheats...hooray! Anyway, I am a teacher/coach and am trying to figure out how to do a quick and easy breakfast for when school starts up again. Since I have to be at work around 6:30 each day, I was thinking of maybe trying a protein shake. It would end up being about 4 mornings a week that I would supplement with that. My problems are that I don't' really eat breakfast and have been shoving eggs down for the past few weeks. i just want to get something in my system quickly and thought that this would be a good solution?

http://www.amazon.com/Designs-for-Health-paleomeal-powder-drink-mix-chocolate-540g-by-designs-for-health/dp/B002G4KK4E/ref=pd_ybh_4

I know that ISWF doesn't like the liquid meals because of the satiety factor, but is that as much as an issue after the Whole30 is over? Just trying to figure out how to really take these 30 days and turn them into a lifestyle.

Thanks so much!

• Moderators

You might decide that getting up in time to eat a meal of real food is not worth it for you, but protein powder shakes can never measure up to the standards of the Whole9/Whole30 approach. And honestly, you're not saving yourself enough time to say you have to eat this way. If you cook enough for supper to have leftovers, you can eat the leftovers for breakfast the next morning. Two minutes in the microwave, 8 minutes to eat and you're done with breakfast in 10 minutes.

That powder is likely not acceptable. The ones where I could see the ingredients were all either whey protein (dairy) or pea protein (legume), so they wouldn't be a very good choice.

If you are set on doing a smoothie (and I agree with Tom that reheating leftovers is as fast, if not faster!) you would be better off going with Whole30 approved ingredients. I sometimes have breakfast smoothies (when I'm not in a Whole30) that are made with a half banana, frozen strawberries, coconut milk, water and egg white protein powder (Now Foods makes a good one). I like that a smoothie can be consumed while driving where eating leftovers would be dangerous. I always pre-measure though to make sure I'm not over-indulging and I don't use any non-approved ingredients.

Thanks for the feedback. I am still trying to wrap my head around the "eating leftovers for breakfast" thing. As a non-breakfast person who doesn't really like anything but coffee in the morning, this is going to be a stretch. But I guess it's worth a try. And the egg white protein powder sounds like a good idea in case I'm in a pinch (:

• Moderators

When I was a teen, we added raw eggs to milk shakes to increase the protein content. That was before protein powder existed. I suppose eating commercially produced eggs raw might not be wise, but if you can get quality eggs from a trusted source, you might consider adding raw eggs to your shake and not a powder. Actually, you could add boiled eggs or even scrambled eggs and do fine. Drinking your food is not ideal, but there are ways to do this without eating something highly processed like a protein powder.

• 4 weeks later...

If you don't like leftovers for breakfast, you could do a green smoothie. I make one for breakfast Monday-Friday, and take it with me on my commute to work.

Juice from 3 lemons, 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 avocado, 1 cup of spinach, 1 cup of kale, 2 collard green leaves, some watermelon (helps so it's not so chunky) and handful of blueberries.

See if you like it!

Archived