Craving "treats"

KatMar

Ugh. Day 16 and, just like in my first Whole30, I'm starting to CRAVE. Not sweet sweet things, but I want to eat something that's more for taste than value. Fruit with coconut cream or fruit with a nut butter comes up a lot. Probably because I see lots of other people indulging in it, but I completely consider it treat food. Granted, I also have occasional cravings for decidedly sweet things too, avocado pudding or banana pancakes.

I can't get past wanting something decadent that's not just food for the sake of filling my stomach. Anyone have any suggestions for how to beat this? It's driving me crazy. I rarely even have fruit while I'm Whole30ing because I am afraid that I'll turn it into a dessert substitute and I don't really need them anyway.

I also don't consume any foods without brakes, or I limit myself severely (only 1 spoonful of almond butter, thankyouverymuch!). Am I just making it worse on myself by avoiding every little thing I'm craving or should I keep on?

Should I let myself have a little bit of something sweet (fruit) as part of my meals to change my thoughts about them as a treat or dessert?

I am on Day 19 and have had my share of chocolate cravings, or just a craving for "something" similar to what you are describing, but this time around it is a primary goal of mine not to give into cravings. What this means is I do not allow myself treats, and that includes fruit between meals, or any other food for that matter, that I eat simply to satisfy a sugar craving or other craving, as opposed to being hungry. This is starting to get easier, I see it as rewiring my brain to view food as fuel rather than entertainment.

However I have been eating a piece of fruit here and there with a meal. I think it's constructive to do so if it will help you to view fruit as "food" rather than "treat" as long as you are staying within the guideline of 1-2 servings per day and not letting it push the vegetables off your plate.

I think I will definitely try adding a bit of fruit to my meals to help re-wire how I think about them as a food. It also might help reduce some of the stress from that "why can't I even have something sweet?!" feeling.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Archived