My journey with the autoimmune protocol

Emily T

Did you start feeling bad after the coconut cream? What is the recipe for the sweet potato chips?

I felt bad after lunch on Monday (chicken, tzatziki) - felt better in the evening around dinner.

Sweet potato chips contained canola oil and sweet potatoes. I assume its just because its a fatty fried food. I tend to get tummy aches when I eat super rich foods anyway. 

Day 12 - What is interesting is that I feel that I have mostly overcome my digestive symptoms. The constant bloating, gas, diarrhea, constipation - they are all significantly reduced.

But now I just feel crappy. Tired, weird skin rashes and itchiness comes and goes, headaches, at times I feel a chest tightening/allergy feeling, nose is constantly running, eyes occasionally watery and puffy. 

Breakfast - Stuffing, yogurt with raspberry jam, banana

Lunch - Mixed greens with chicken, bacon, avocado, cucumber, scallions, balsamic, EVOO. 

Dinner - Mixed greens with bacon, sweet potato, onions, apples, balsamic, EVOO

EXTREMELY fatigued today. I have literally no energy. 

Supplements: Enzymes, fish oil, bone broth, coconut oil

Do you like green tea?  I've been drinking a really awesome Green Chai - which I'm pretty sure is compliant.

Could you be getting sick, as opposed to those being allergy sypmtoms?  'Tis the season and all.  Or could your body be trying to eliminate something that you are allergic to, that you've stopped eating now, but are still exhibiting symptoms from?  I'm talking a bit out of my hat here, just trying to brain storm.

Totally out in left field but is there any chance that you are allergic/sensitive to envrionmental allergens? 

I am very, very sensitive to a lot of fragrances and shampoos.  In fact, I can not even go down aisles that contain laundry detergent with out getting a scratchy throat and burning eyes.  The pesticide/fertilizer aisle at home depot does the same thing to me, I almost feel as if I am choking.  I often get rashes and excema outbreaks when I use scented lotions.

I've been tested and came back with a few allergies for various pollens, but I do not think there are any tests for chemicals in cosmetics that i know of. 

Ive never been able to wear make up, even as a kid. I went to one of those Mary Kay (or some brand) make up party when I was 12 and my eyes swelled shut from the eyeliner they put on me.  

When I read your symptoms, it sounds like how i feel when I am exposed to chemical fragrances, lotions, soaps etc. 

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/multiple-chemical-sensitivity

Ive never approached a doctor about this...but I have found eliminating as much chemical exposure as possible helped a LOT. 

Totally out in left field but is there any chance that you are allergic/sensitive to envrionmental allergens? 

I am very, very sensitive to a lot of fragrances and shampoos.  In fact, I can not even go down aisles that contain laundry detergent with out getting a scratchy throat and burning eyes.  The pesticide/fertilizer aisle at home depot does the same thing to me, I almost feel as if I am choking.  I often get rashes and excema outbreaks when I use scented lotions.

I've been tested and came back with a few allergies for various pollens, but I do not think there are any tests for chemicals in cosmetics that i know of. 

Ive never been able to wear make up, even as a kid. I went to one of those Mary Kay (or some brand) make up party when I was 12 and my eyes swelled shut from the eyeliner they put on me.  

When I read your symptoms, it sounds like how i feel when I am exposed to chemical fragrances, lotions, soaps etc. 

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/multiple-chemical-sensitivity

Ive never approached a doctor about this...but I have found eliminating as much chemical exposure as possible helped a LOT. 

The allergy like symptoms are all new in the past month, so I doubt its an environmental allergy...I mean, this all started when I started my second whole30 really. 

Do you like green tea?  I've been drinking a really awesome Green Chai - which I'm pretty sure is compliant.

Could you be getting sick, as opposed to those being allergy sypmtoms?  'Tis the season and all.  Or could your body be trying to eliminate something that you are allergic to, that you've stopped eating now, but are still exhibiting symptoms from?  I'm talking a bit out of my hat here, just trying to brain storm.

I mean, its very possible I am just sick. I don't know that this is traditional allergy symptoms, I just kind of feel like s***. Like carb flu sick. 

Today, I woke up feeling good, did some yoga, and ate breakfast. I was feeling amazing until I left my house, walked to the metro, and commuted to work, after which I just feel exhausted and dead. With all this said, its been between 10-20 degrees here so maybe my body is just like, "STOP GOING OUTSIDE IN THE COLD." 

Breakfast - Stuffing, banana, skipped the yogurt today (may have it tonight) - in its place I had a probiotic

Lunch - Mixed greens with sweet potatoes, apples, bacon, carmelized onions, EVOO and balsamic

Dinner - Yogurt with raspberry jam. Ground beef with garlic, onion, cabbage, carrots. Cooked with salt, pepper, oregano, butter. and cumin. 

Supplements - Broth, coconut oil, enzymes, fish oil, probiotic

Day 14 - Feeling better today. I am hoping I was just getting sick or something. 

Breakfast - Stuffing, applesauce with cinnamon

Lunch - Ground beef with garlic, onion, cabbage, carrots. Cooked with salt, pepper, oregano, butter, and cumin. 2 squares of lindt 70% cacao chocolate. (This and the cumin are part of the reintro of seeds.)

Afternoon - A little kombucha and an apple

Dinner - I kind of ate two dinners - I finished the beef and cabbage and carrots, and then later had a salad with apples, onions, sweet potatoes, bacon, EVOO and balsamic. 

Supplements - Enzymes, fish oil, probiotic

I received the results of my tests: all normal. Everything! No parasites, infections, anemia, candida, etc. Its great to rule stuff out (particularly candida) but wish I had some answers. 

Day 15. I am feeling a millions times better, even though I didn't do anything differently. Maybe I was sick but who knows. This whole week I have been rather backed up and feeling a little constipated, though not as bad as before. But today I seem to be okay. Though I am glad to be feeling better, I'm starting to lose interest in this process a bit. I feel like I just keep trying things and sometimes they work and sometimes not - there is no pattern. I mean, whats the point? I didn't have nearly as many health problems before I went on my first whole30 (last July) as I feel I do now.

I don't want to "give up" but I really am starting to question the amount of stress this causes. My life literally now revolves meal planning, cooking and grocery shopping, writing my meals here, recording detailed descriptions of symptoms in my food journal, googling symptoms and researching what could be wrong with me, doctor visits, testing, waiting and hoping for positive answers, and constantly being disappointed. Its taking such a toll on my mental well being and my social life. 

Anyway, day 15: nuts and seeds are back in the diet. 

Breakfast - Yogurt with raspberry jam

Lunch - Mixed greens with sweet potatoes, onions, pecans, apples, bacon

Day 15. I am feeling a millions times better, even though I didn't do anything differently. Maybe I was sick but who knows. This whole week I have been rather backed up and feeling a little constipated, though not as bad as before. But today I seem to be okay. Though I am glad to be feeling better, I'm starting to lose interest in this process a bit. I feel like I just keep trying things and sometimes they work and sometimes not - there is no pattern. I mean, whats the point? I didn't have nearly as many health problems before I went on my first whole30 (last July) as I feel I do now.

I don't want to "give up" but I really am starting to question the amount of stress this causes. My life literally now revolves meal planning, cooking and grocery shopping, writing my meals here, recording detailed descriptions of symptoms in my food journal, googling symptoms and researching what could be wrong with me, doctor visits, testing, waiting and hoping for positive answers, and constantly being disappointed. Its taking such a toll on my mental well being and my social life. 

Anyway, day 15: nuts and seeds are back in the diet. 

Breakfast - Yogurt with raspberry jam

Lunch - Mixed greens with sweet potatoes, onions, pecans, apples, bacon

You know perhaps it is time to take a break from stressing/worrying about it and just ride your bike calmly and gently for a while. 

I'm with Bethany.  This shouldn't be your whole life.  Maybe taking a break from all the tracking would be a good thing?

I'm glad you are feeling better physically, but I don't like to hear that you aren't doing so well emotionally/mentally.

I'm with the girls - this shouldn't be your whole life.  I have had to come to terms with the fact that W30 isn't a cure all for me so I don't obsess about it.  But, I don't have a better idea and I like a place to rant every once in a while, so I stick around.  It's not worth it if it stresses you out.  I admit that much of my life revolves around food, but that comes with the territory of being a mom attempting to feed my kids, one of whom has food allergies.  Luckily, I really enjoy cooking, chopping, trying recipes, etc.  What I don't enjoy is obessing about how the food is or is not affecting my little symptoms.  I try to not let myself do that.  It's a constant balance.  I hope you can find your balance. 

Archived