15 days in & advice needed

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on these forums for the past few weeks and thought it was about time I said hi! The amount of support around here is incredible. I am on Day 15 of my Whole30 and am enjoying it! My main reason to embark on this journey was to reset my hormones. My cycles are very irregular due to PCOS so I was hoping this would help me get a period naturally (sorry for TMI). I know it's going to take time but hopefully it happens sooner rather than later. Although weight loss wasn't my sole motive for signing up, I definitely wouldn't mind losing 3-4 lbs along the way. I ate a pretty healthy diet beforehand so I'm being realistic with my goals,

Prior to this, I was following Paleo for about a month so the transition was pretty easy. Rather than focus on off-limit foods, I am using these 30 days to try out new recipes & embrace foods which I didn't eat much of in the past like ghee, red meat and, coconut. Aside from slight exhaustion mid-afternoon over the first few days, I haven't experienced too many negative side-effects at all. I have noticed my skin is looking clearer than normal and has a natural glow which I'm thrilled about. I am also pleased that my urge to snack & sweet tooth has pretty much disappeared (last night being an exception).

On days 6-11, I truly believe I was hit with the famous "Tiger blood". However since Saturday, I've noticed myself feeling a bit sluggish. Based on what I've read on the forums, I'm going to cut my fruit intake to 1 serving a day, preferably not in the morning. Instead I am going to replace it with sweet potatoes or roasted squash. As of today, I have decided to stay off nuts and see how that affects me. I was usually having 1-2 teaspoons of almond butter in the morning. It's not a lot but I am wondering almonds have an inflammatory effect for me. I am staying off the scales till the day 31,but I'm not feeling any lighter- hopefully the next 2 weeks will do the trick.

For a better idea, here is a few days worth of me eats:

Today

Breakfast: Sweet potato frittata made with 2 whole eggs & 2 whites + brocolli, bok choy & green beans sautéed in ghee (I love my veggies)

Lunch: Boiled & shredded chicken breast topped with salsa, 1/3 avocado; Greens & roasted squash sautéed in ghee

Pre-run: 1 boiled egg

Dinner (right after my run): Zucchini noodles with mushrooms, marinara sauce & about a tablespoon of nutritional yeast. 2 boiled eggs with 1/3 avocado & an apple

Yesterday

Breakfast: 2 eggs & 2 whites with a side of veggies sautéed in ghee & 6 strawberries with 1 tsp almond butter

Lunch: Balsamic lamb stir fry (veggie-filled) with 1/3 avocado; 7 strawberries

Dinner: Shrimp Red Curry made with roasted cauliflower. The curry is made with compliant red curry paste (brand is Thai Kitchen), coconut milk, bone broth, shrimp, broccoli, bok choy & mushrooms.

Cooking fats used alternate between ghee, coconut oil or extra virgin olive. I also have 2-3 cups of tea or coffee with coconut milk every day. The rest of the days, I alternate between water and hot water with lemon. I have eaten out a handful of times but I made sure to thoroughly grill the restaurant beforehand to ensure my meal was Whole30-compliant.

I work out 4-5 times a week, alternating between yoga, walking & running (anywhere between 5-7 km per workout). I have been advised to temporarily stop weight training given it's effects on boosting testosterone levels (mine are already too high). I never used to have a pre-workout snack but am definitely going to from now on. Would you recommend doing so with low-intensity workouts like a 45-minute walk or yoga session?

If anyone could shed some light on boosting energy levels, PCOS-related effects of Whole30, weight loss, my current intake, or any advice at all, I'd be ever so grateful.

• Moderators

Today's dinner looked light on protein. Two eggs is not enough. Your breakfasts look good. I can't tell about portion sizes on lunch and dinner otherwise, but what you are eating sounds great. 

I like the idea of cutting nuts, nut butter, and limiting fruit while increasing starchy veggies for carbs. The increase of starchy veggies along with getting enough to eat overall is important to experiencing steady energy. 

Archived