Compliant pickles?

LadyKT

Even if we give you a list of brands, you have to read the labels every time. Ingredients could change, or they could be different in different regions. I think even Bubbie's has as least one with sugar (bread and butter maybe?).

Even if we give you a list of brands, you have to read the labels every time. Ingredients could change, or they could be different in different regions. I think even Bubbie's has as least one with sugar (bread and butter maybe?).

I mean dill pickles - bread and butter are gross to me :D 

ughhh i was hoping to avoid the label-reading - as i don't have much time to shop as it is...i kind of like to go into the store already knowing what i want so i don't waste time.  :wacko:  

I mean dill pickles - bread and butter are gross to me :D 

ughhh i was hoping to avoid the label-reading - as i don't have much time to shop as it is...i kind of like to go into the store already knowing what i want so i don't waste time.  :wacko:  

Don't skip label reading while on a Whole30. It's really essential in keeping to the integrity of the program. Manufacturers frequently change ingredients too - so it's important to develop this habit and be sure you're not ingesting any nasties.

Don't skip label reading while on a Whole30. It's really essential in keeping to the integrity of the program. Manufacturers frequently change ingredients too - so it's important to develop this habit and be sure you're not ingesting any nasties.

True.  I could also make my own, couldn't I? ;)  

If there's a Trader Joe's near you, I've found some of their pickles to be compliant. At my "regular" store (a Publix), Bubbies is the only one. But as Chris said, label reading is necessary! And enlightening. :)

True - not that I wouldn't label read, I just want some brands to look for so I don't have to sit there for a half hour reading every single brand out there.  Who has time for that?! 

True - not that I wouldn't label read, I just want some brands to look for so I don't have to sit there for a half hour reading every single brand out there.  Who has time for that?! 

Label-reading time is shorter if you use your strongest reading glasses. :lol:   Don't skip it.  Plan it in, it's important to make time for it.  Really. 

Have you considered making your own pickles?  My husband makes his own pickles, sauerkraut, kimchee and carrots. It's not terribly complicated, it just takes time to stuff them in the jar and then wait a couple weeks.   It does take special jars and little plastic airlocks.  But once you buy those (they are cheap), you can reuse them.  Also the fermented stuff is good for your digestive tract.  And they are delicious!   He makes big batches of them and they last for weeks.

I took a picture of our current batch of fermenting pickles.  (Sorry couldn't resist sharing.  They are just wonderful!)  It took my husband about 15 minutes to get them loaded.  So not too hard.  Then it will be a week or two of fermenting.  In the pic, you can see the airlock that is jammed in the top of the jar.  There is a hole in the top of the jar with a rubber gasket to hold the airlock in place.  The airlock has water in it that allows CO2 to escape as the fermenting progresses (without allowing any O2 back in).  This pushes out the O2 and keeps the pickles from getting moldy.  They have been going for about 24 hours only.  So the liquid is still clear and the pickles are bright green.  Eventually, the liquid will be cloudy and the pickles will be more army green.  He also adds some peppercorns, garlic and other spices in addition to the pickling salt.

Once the fermentation is done, the airlock is removed and a rubber stopper is jammed in the hole in the top of the jar. Then the pickles go in the fridge.

post-39420-0-06484700-1390912296_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

So my husband's pickles started looking 'done' last night.  He removed the airlock, jammed a stopper in the top and put them in the fridge.  Of course, we had to do a celebratory tasting though.  Here is a pic of what they look like when 'done'.  The pickles are more of an army green color and the liquid is cloudy.

post-39420-0-47084500-1391776571_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Bubbies but was super disappointed because they were soft. Totally defeats the purpose when you want a crunchy pickle. 

I have found Bubbies to be perfectly crunchy, until this last time I got them and they were soft--still tasty, but I agree, not really meeting expectations. I HOPE they are just inconsistent...good luck with the next batch! 

I tried them once a few weeks ago and they were soft. Wasn't planning to buy them again...interesting that they used to be crisp. Wonder if there were a few odd batches or if they've changed the way they make them.

• 3 years later...

If sugar is the only barrier to pickles being ok, I think these Milwaukee's dills should be ok. My husband will ONLY eat these pickles so we were pretty jazzed that they didn't have any sugar in them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on these being compliant.

Milwaukee's Petite Kosher Dill Pickles, 32 fl ozMilwaukee's Petite Kosher Dill Pickles, 32 fl oz

• Administrators
Just now, Kat W said:

If sugar is the only barrier to pickles being ok, I think these Milwaukee's dills should be ok. My husband will ONLY eat these pickles so we were pretty jazzed that they didn't have any sugar in them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on these being compliant.

Milwaukee's Petite Kosher Dill Pickles, 32 fl ozMilwaukee's Petite Kosher Dill Pickles, 32 fl oz

These are fine.

Archived