Compliant pickles?

LadyKT

On 1/27/2014 at 4:10 AM, AllyB said:

Have you considered making your own pickles?  My husband makes his own pickles, sauerkraut, kimchee and carrots. It's not terribly complicated, it just takes time to stuff them in the jar and then wait a couple weeks.   It does take special jars and little plastic airlocks.  But once you buy those (they are cheap), you can reuse them.  Also the fermented stuff is good for your digestive tract.  And they are delicious!   He makes big batches of them and they last for weeks.

Me too!  I love fermenting my own vegetables.  It's really pretty easy.  I don't use special jars (just mason jars) or airlocks (though I have some.)  I do use glass weights, and I fortunately have a grape vine in my back yard (for grape leaves, which work well under the weights).   Sauerkraut, dill pickles, kimchi, and an amazing amount of other veggies are delicious home made, and we never buy store bought pickles anymore.

On 1/21/2014 at 10:06 AM, LadyKT said:

True - not that I wouldn't label read, I just want some brands to look for so I don't have to sit there for a half hour reading every single brand out there.  Who has time for that?! 

I've found that often the cheaper/generic brands are more likely to be compliant than the name brand ones.  So if you are faced with an aisle full of pickles, start on the bottom right shelf ;)

Archived