AIP substitutions

Hi, all,

I started my Whole30, or technically 90, yesterday since I am doing the AIP due to chronic, intractable hives.  My rheumatologist actually recommended the book and the program.  Several recipes on the meal map include eggs or nuts, usually for thickening.  I found a Whole30 approved mayo in the autoimmune paleo cookbook, but there are several recipes in the cookbook that include seeds and seed oils, which Doug and Melissa say to avoid on the AIP.  I feel confused and frustrated at the moment.  I like salmon patties and was planning to make the recipe in ISWF, but it calls for egg, as do other recipes.  Can I substitute coconut milk for egg in most situations?  Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Krista

The trickiness with eggs in recipes is that they usually perform a binding function. Lots of recipes are still delicious without eggs, they just may not hold together the same way. Coconut milk will give you moisture, but no binding.

I've made egg free "salmon patties" without either egg or sweet potato, just as a kind of crumble/scramble instead of patties.

Archived