Day 17 and PIZZA

Y'all, I need some words of encouragement right now.

The entire office smells like pizza and I want some so bad. I can feel the tears welling up. I could cry at this moment over PIZZA. 

It's day 17 and I haven't cheated even once.

I want to punch Whole30 in the face at this moment.

I can do this, right?

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

You can do this, and it's worth it.  You are worth it.  Have you noticed how good you feel on Whole30?  Think about how your energy levels have improved, or your mood has improved, or whatever it is.  Think about how delicious, satisfying and nourishing your meat and veggies are.  If the weather is tolerable there, can you get up and take a short walk?  Or even get up and walk around inside the building for a little bit?  Are you sipping water so you won't mistake thirst for hunger?

I'm having a bit of a struggle right now thinking about the changes that have happened, mostly because there have not been any dramatic changes. I feel mostly the same, but I have been working out consistently and I also have a back injurty (lumbosacral strain) that I'm dealing with now, too. I am drinking water constantly and unable to leave my desk until my scheduled lunch time at 1:15. I seriously love pizza more than any food EVER and I had no idea this would be such a struggle for me.

PS- Thank you for your kind words. I can do this.

Okay, this might sound a little silly, but I have had great success with looking at whatever the bad food is, and saying to myself sternly (out loud, if no one's around), "That doesn't have anything to do with you." My polite, midwestern brain immediately responds as if I've been caught in someone else's business--"Oh, goodness, sorry. I didn't realize that didn't have anything to do with me". I'm not saying my mantra will work for you, but you're welcome to it or I recommend coming up with your own. You can also use delay of gratification strategies such as getting the h-e-double hockey sticks away from whatever it is (or making sure you don't look at it), or do look at it but imagine that it is in a picture frame, just a representation of something you want but not really there. 

I love pizza also, but my real nemesis is cake. This is why I've thought about all this stuff  :)

Another coping strategy, because everyone is different and this one works for me: I also love pizza. But I know it doesn't love me - it sits in my stomach feeling heavy and spikes my blood sugar and doesn't make me feel good at all. Sometimes (post-Whole30) that's okay, and I eat it without guilt, but it has to be good pizza. Domino's (or whatever)never tastes as good as I think it will and makes me feel gross. And this afternoon, you'll have energy while the rest of your office is in a carb-and-grease coma!*

*maybe. If you haven't experienced that yet on Whole30, it's coming. :)

GIRL I FEEL YOU. There is a huge sheet cake in the breakroom at my office, and I thought, "curse you Whole 30, I want a piece of that!"

Here is the thing though: did you wake up wanting that pizza, and decide that you wanted to eat pizza today? My guess is that you're the same as me with the cake: you were not thinking at all about pizza when you planned your meal for today. I was not thinking about cake when I got up this morning, or in fact all morning while I went about my business. In fact, on my way back from a meeting, I was thinking about a local bakery in Memphis which has amazing cupcakes, and how a friend of mine ate three of them this weekend and was consumed with guilt over it, and how I, in fact, did not even want one of those cupcakes right now.

I only decided I wanted cake when I walked into the breakroom and BEHOLD: BUTTERCREAM. So I told myself, cake is not leaving the planet. There will still be cake in the world, and you don't even want cake. You didn't wake up today thinking, "Today I would really like a piece of cake." It is an impulse decision, based on the fact that cake is available. Impulse decisions are never worth it for me, and I bet they are not worth it for you either! Wait until your Whole 30 is over, and then, confident in your ability to eat what you want when you want to eat it, fully aware of the nutritional value of that food and why you want it when you want it, make the decision to eat that pizza on a day that YOU want it. Don't eat it on a day that someone ELSE wanted it and let THEM take control of the decision. YOU ARE MORE AWESOME THAN THEY ARE.

When it comes to corporate free food I also sometimes try to imagine how many people are touching that food and what their personal hygiene habits may or may not be. I'm not much of a germaphobe but it still helps.

I agree with everyone else. It isn't worth it and if after your Whole30 you still want it you can go get it yourself.  

I like to take a big huge whiff of the pizza, let my mouth water, let my eyes roll back in my head and day dream about the last time I had that scrumptious treat and what the occasion was at the time.  I try to actually FEEL what I felt that day.  I let those memories or emotions come rushing back.  Then I take a deep breath and walk away, feeling good about myself for

1) my little trip down memory lane

2) my strength in the face of temptation

3) knowing how proud I'll be of myself come bedtime knowing I had another successful day under my belt

I do this at work a lot - our cafeteria pizza (which I've never tasted) smells like the pizza joint I used to go to as a kid with my family when we were on vacation.  Every time it's pizza day, I get a kick out of letting the memories take over for a minute or two.  It's fun!  I also do it on chocolate chip cookie day or when they are baking bread....oh the memories.  I know it's hard to believe, but sometimes, just living in that moment and enjoying the sensations is satisfying enough. 

Honestly, the more I do this, the easier it is to resist.  Don't hate me because I'm crazy...  :P

I like to take a big huge whiff of the pizza, let my mouth water, let my eyes roll back in my head and day dream about the last time I had that scrumptious treat and what the occasion was at the time. 

Hah! Every time you smell something you are taking some molecules of that substance into your body. I do believe, GLC, that you have found the secret to compliantly and literally inhaling chocolate chip cookies and pizza  :lol:

I think, after Whole30 I can have it again, so I can wait. (And I even said that to bubble tea, which I won't get that easily, since it's not on the nearest place for me (like 3 hours to go there, where the tasty bubble tea is) But yeah if I really want it, I could extra go there. XD) 
^^ Saying I can have it later, really helps me. 

You didn't wake up today thinking, "Today I would really like a piece of cake." It is an impulse decision, based on the fact that cake is available. Impulse decisions are never worth it for me, and I bet they are not worth it for you either! Wait until your Whole 30 is over, and then, confident in your ability to eat what you want when you want to eat it, fully aware of the nutritional value of that food and why you want it when you want it, make the decision to eat that pizza on a day that YOU want it. Don't eat it on a day that someone ELSE wanted it and let THEM take control of the decision. YOU ARE MORE AWESOME THAN THEY ARE.

Yes to all of this! I am making that bold phrase my mantra from now on.

Spur-of-the-moment food NEVER tastes as good as I hope it will. Reminding myself that nothing is leaving the planet helps too. This is not my last opportunity to have cake (or whatever). There will still be cake.

Archived