Day 1 - Let's do this!

JaseyLeigh

It's my first whole30 and I'm really excited to be here!  I'm another in the army trying to slay the sugar (and caffeine) dragon once and for all, so ready to dig in the trenches and get going.

Day 1

Breakfast -- I had some leftover steak that I cut up (maybe 3-4oz) and scrambled with 2 whole eggs.  Chopped and steamed a half sweet potato with a little cinnamon and a touch of Manna coconut butter.  Was good but I was starving by 10:30am. 

Ate an apple. 

Lunch -- Ran to the salad bar at whole foods and loaded up on veggies, hard boiled eggs, guacamole, and some grilled chicken breast.  Not bad.  I'm starting to get a headache now (and my ears are clogged), but I assume that's to be expected.  It could be from no caffeine.  I've been sipping water and herbal tea. Was really craving sweets after lunch but ate a handful of dried coconut (unsweetened) and 2 dates.  I know I know.  Not supposed to feed the sugar monster.

Dinner -- Trying out a meatloaf cake recipe (from an approved site) with some steamed green beans.  Hopefully it makes enough to feed my family and still have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. 

Bought some chorizo for breakfast --

Just realized we're supposed to be eating more fat (avo, coconut milk PER MEAL!)  oops.  Maybe that's why I'm hungry.

Anyway, please say hello and give me any tips that you used (are using) to make this easier.

Cheers to all from sunny California.

Jasey

Hello and welcome!

You might have been starving mid-morning as breakfast could have used more veggies.  Look to get 1-3 cups of veggies per meal.

If you do find you need a snack between meals, as you get used to figuring out what portion sizes work for you, make the snack a mini-meal including a protein and fat. Save your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to enjoy with or immediately after your main meals.

When you get recipes from approved sites, or wherever you get them from, always double-check the ingredients to ensure compliance. Sometimes things are mislabeled or fall through the cracks.

Day 2 Log

(Was really tired this today and decided that taking caffeine out of the mix was maybe a bad idea.  I had some black tea and that really helped to take the edge off and get rid of the headache.)

Breakfast:

Scrambled eggs with Chorizo

1/2 avocado

1/4c. coconut milk mixed with a handful of steamed peaches

a few olives

Lunch:

Leftover meatloaf pie

kalamata olives

baby carrots

1/2 avocado

mixed green tea with 1/4c. coconut milk.  Was right nasty!

**was really hungry between lunch and dinner.  I think I'm going too long.  Lunch was at 11:50am and dinner isn't usually done until 7pm.  That's a long time without food!**

Snack:

Snacked on raw coconut flakes

had a emergency fruit cup (no sugar)

1 package of cashews *finally feel okay*  -- worried the cashews are not compliant as they listed cottonseed oil on the pkg. 

Dinner:

few dates (oops)

chicken thighs fried in coconut oil w/ thai coconut curry sauce

threw in some steamed carrots and a handful of spinach ((husband RAVED about this one!))

Mashed sweet potatoes

I'm need to eat different vegetables... maybe more greens.

DAY 2 DOWN!  wooo hooo!

Do you need vegetable ideas?  There are so many options.

The Whole30 shopping list has lots: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf

Here's another helpful guide on what's in season throughout the year: http://whole9life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/whole9-seasonal-produce-2012.pdf

The cottonseed oil on the cashews is ok. The big oils that are not compliant are corn oil, rice bran oil, soybean oil and peanut oil.

Lunch and dinner looked good on the veggies. Don't let fruit push veggies off your plate - they were missing at breakfast.

Limit your 1-2 daily fruit servings to have with or immediately after your meals, not as a snack.  Again, make sure a snack includes a protein and fat.

OK..so I'm on day 4 and feel AHHH-mazing.  No more congestion, no more mood swings, cravings have all but disappeared.  Is it possible to feel good so quickly?  Even my husband commented that I seemed happier this morning.  That, alone, is motivation to continue.

So reading a few of the other boards, I am now a bit confused about fat intake.   Form the meal planning template, are we supposed to just have (1) of the approved fats per meal?  or all of them per meal?  Ugh.  I think it's the former, in which case I've probably put on about 5lbs in the last 3 days.  Also realized we're not supposed to be snacking on fruit between meals.  (oops!)

Day 3 meals

Breakfast

Leftover steak scrambled with eggs cooked in coconut oil.  Handful of olives.  Espresso with 1/4c. coconut milk. 1/2 avocado

Snack while shopping (oops)

Dried apples

Lunch

Leftover curry chicken with sweet potatoes, olives, avocado, a bit of spinach

espresso with 1/4c. coconut milk

Snack (afternoon between lunch and dinner are brutal)

olives

coconut shreds

more dried fruit

Dinner

Beef stew (delicious!) w/ 1/4c coconut milk

Made the bumkin breakfast bake for breakfast the next day and ate some of that before bed ..

Wondering if I should restart due the fats?  Everything else I've ate is in compliance but in the wrong amounts (I think.)

J

OK..so I'm on day 4 and feel AHHH-mazing.  No more congestion, no more mood swings, cravings have all but disappeared.  Is it possible to feel good so quickly?  Even my husband commented that I seemed happier this morning.  That, alone, is motivation to continue.

So reading a few of the other boards, I am now a bit confused about fat intake.   Form the meal planning template, are we supposed to just have (1) of the approved fats per meal?  or all of them per meal?  Ugh.  I think it's the former, in which case I've probably put on about 5lbs in the last 3 days.  Also realized we're not supposed to be snacking on fruit between meals.  (oops!)

Day 3 meals

Breakfast

Leftover steak scrambled with eggs cooked in coconut oil.  Handful of olives.  Espresso with 1/4c. coconut milk. 1/2 avocado

Snack while shopping (oops)

Dried apples

Lunch

Leftover curry chicken with sweet potatoes, olives, avocado, a bit of spinach

espresso with 1/4c. coconut milk

Snack (afternoon between lunch and dinner are brutal)

olives

coconut shreds

more dried fruit

Dinner

Beef stew (delicious!) w/ 1/4c coconut milk

Made the bumkin breakfast bake for breakfast the next day and ate some of that before bed ..

Wondering if I should restart due the fats?  Everything else I've ate is in compliance but in the wrong amounts (I think.)

J

The template gives a bunch of suggestions of what a single serving of added fat would be. We ask you do a minimum of 1-2 of these. If you are getting hungry between meals don't worry about it. Either way it doesn't require a restart. Looking at your logs you need to eat more vegetables. 1-3 cups per meal. That will probably help with your need/desire to snack between meals. 

I've had that bumpkin breakfast bake. Even though it contains pumpkin, it's pretty fruit-heavy, so if you're having it at breakfast, be sure to add some more veggies on the side.  And avoid using it as a snack, again, because it's fruit-heavy.

Just wrapping up day 5 and energy is waning a bit.  Still, I'm pumped to move on and have been discovering some great healthy recipes that my whole family is loving.  Bonus, I feel great and can eat without guilt.  Had my first meal out today and it wasn't too bad.  Not sure how I might navigate a real restaurant but I did just fine. 

Day 5

Breakfast -  Italian Brunch Bake (roasted red peppers, onions, ground pork, mushrooms, eggs, zucchini)  Delicious!  Ate a few bites of the apple bumpkin while cooking. 

coffee with coconut milk

Lunch - Salad from Whole Foods (lettuce, carrots, broccoli, turkey, black olives, hard boiled egg, olive oil)  few spanish olives, couple sea snacks, Lara Bar

coffee black

Dinner - Stuffed acorn squash (ground pork, onion, garlic, egg) half an orange, few bites of the bumpkin bake (I know I know!)

Didn't drink enough water today, for sure. 

Tomorrow's my first cook up.  Wish me luck.

Archived