Mints with nicotine

lbosmer

Ok this question is not about me. Our box is doing a whole30 and since im the only one there who has ever done a w30 I get asked a lot of questions. Here is his situation: he was a smoker for many years and switched to "dipping" because he thought it was healthier. After years of dipping he decided that wasn't healthy either and began to take these mints that have nicotine in them. He has been doing that for awhile (maybe 6 mos). He knows that these mints are not healthy either and wants to discontinue those but our box is starting our whole30 February 1st and he does not think that he can be completely off of them by the time we start. So, his question is can he start the whole30 while still taking these mints and try to ween himself off during the whole30. Sorry that was so long winded.

My hunch is that the mints have sugar, artificial sweetener or other nasties in them, which would make them non-compliant.  Assuming that's the case, if he continued to take these mints, he wouldn't be doing a real Whole30 - it would be a modified one, and we can't say what impact that would have on his results.

I would answer this with the same recommendation given to smokers. Quit the nicotine mints first, and then do a Whole30 when you're off them.

Yes these mints do have sugar or some sort of sweetener in them. I guess I already knew what the answer was going to be but thought I'd ask anyway. I will encourage him to try yo ween of before the start date.. He has a week... Maybe that's enough time

Archived