Mayo without egg??

jmh

My mom has done 2 whole 30's and has been eating Paleo for about a year. She has been having problems and recently found out she is allergic to eggs, dairy, soybeans, almonds, cashews, turkey, red peppers and garlic. She loves her mayo so much and eats some of the baked goods with almond flour and also loves almond butter.

Does anyone have any recipes for making mayo without eggs??

She wants to continue eating Paleo but is thinking about adding rice flour back in her diet just so she can have something else to eat besides meat and veggies. She is not one of those people who can wake up and eat some chicken. Right now she is having walnuts and berries with coconut milk for her first meal. She is very underweight and has a hard time keeping weight on. Any suggestions for meal 1?

Does anyone have any blogs, resources, recipes for someone with that many allergies that wants to follow a whole 9/paleo lifestyle??

Any help would be appreciated because eating this way has done wonders for her overall health. Thanks!!

Melissa Joulwan posted a recipe for eggless mayo a few months ago. I haven't tried it, but maybe start there?

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/10/27/egg-less-homemade-mayo/

I'm no expert, but her allergies sound a bit like the autoimmune protocol (AIP), plus the turkey and garlic restrictions - maybe searching some of those threads would be helpful? Sorry I don't have personal experience, but that might get you started.

Hi There,

I believe Well Fed (The clothes make the girl blog) posted a Mayo reciept using ground flax seed instead of the egg - might want to give it a try.  

Pureed soup is good in the morning - this works for a lot of former cereal lovers.  If she is feeling brave she can through some ground meat through it or some cut up chicken. 

Or eat the soup first and then maybe some protein later.

Now this may seem odd - some people are allergic to the whites of the egg rather than the yolk.  I have a friend who is fine with the yolks (she has RA). 

• 3 years later...

Just wanted to report in that I've now tried Melissa Joulwan's egg-less mayo and it was a success!  I used milled flax which I don't know if it's the same as ground but I did the "make flax snot :) with hot water" and it seemed correct ... after it emulsified you can still see the specks from the flax, more so than in the photo on Mel's page but it's kind of hard to tell.  Oh, also I used white wine vinegar instead of lemon juice, since that's been my go-to acid lately.

Didn't have any eggs in the house but I wanted mayo on my roast tonight, so I figured it was a good time to try the alternate version.  Good to know it's reliable.

7 hours ago, kirkor said:

Just wanted to report in that I've now tried Melissa Joulwan's egg-less mayo and it was a success!  I used milled flax which I don't know if it's the same as ground but I did the "make flax snot :) with hot water" and it seemed correct ... after it emulsified you can still see the specks from the flax, more so than in the photo on Mel's page but it's kind of hard to tell.  Oh, also I used white wine vinegar instead of lemon juice, since that's been my go-to acid lately.

Didn't have any eggs in the house but I wanted mayo on my roast tonight, so I figured it was a good time to try the alternate version.  Good to know it's reliable.

Well done you! Mine was totally gross...... :wacko:

Archived