Starting January 23rd

Faith Smith

ONLY a 93 lb. loss???  That is awesome in itself!! 

Day 13...one foot in front of the other.  Gut is still bloated.  Taking some enzymes now on GFChris's suggestion.  I'm most of my veggies raw so that could be the cause.

Going to try and make a sweet potato for the first time tonight.  Any suggestions on how to cook and season it?  Never eaten one before (GASP!!)  :-)   Making some more slaw also!

Day 13...one foot in front of the other.  Gut is still bloated.  Taking some enzymes now on GFChris's suggestion.  I'm most of my veggies raw so that could be the cause.

Going to try and make a sweet potato for the first time tonight.  Any suggestions on how to cook and season it?  Never eaten one before (GASP!!)  :-)   Making some more slaw also!

My favorite way to eat sweet potato is in roasted chunks. Preheat oven to 375, peel and cube your sweet potato, toss with coconut oil and spices of your choice (I like cinnamon and garlic salt), bake on a sheet with parchment paper (less mess) for 30-45 minutes. If you search google you will find lots of different spice combos.

Thank you!!

Funny you should mention sweet potatoes, I was just thinking about a way to cook up some of mine. I just got into eating them within the last 6 months. Could never get used to their texture.. Even around the holidays when they are all "dressed" up with tons of non compliant items that shall not be named LOL.

Here is the last recipe that I used. They turned out nice and firm, just what I was looking for. I just misted a bit of EVOO on them since i want to use them as part of my post work out meal.

http://www.food.com/recipe/roasted-sweet-potato-slices-37089

I generally scrub them down and coat them in coconut oil and then throw them in a baking dish and into the over at 375 or 400 (depending on what else I am cooking) for 30 to 45 min... Then let them cool and throw them in the fridge for quick veggies with a meal. 

You will have to let us know how you cooked them and like them... It took me a while to get used to them.. I got into them after cooking chunks of them in foil packet with onion, peppers, zucchini, and chicken sausage in the oven... Something about how the flavors all melded together :)

Cooked them  up as directed by Physibeth with some cinnamon on them.  A little bland but not bad for my first attempt.  good enough to have me purchase another one to try.  I put a touch of cinanmon sugar on some that I didn't eat and my 3 year old gobbled those up. Hooray.  Didn't get the fish made as we had to get out the door.  So dinner ended up being a few sweet potato chunks and 1/3 bell pepper with some almond butter.  Need to get some protein tomorrow morning at breakfast.

Cooked them  up as directed by Physibeth with some cinnamon on them.  A little bland but not bad for my first attempt.  good enough to have me purchase another one to try.  I put a touch of cinanmon sugar on some that I didn't eat and my 3 year old gobbled those up. Hooray.  Didn't get the fish made as we had to get out the door.  So dinner ended up being a few sweet potato chunks and 1/3 bell pepper with some almond butter.  Need to get some protein tomorrow morning at breakfast.

Have you made homemade mayo yet?  Homemade mayo on top of a baked sweet potato is heaven!

Have you made homemade mayo yet?  Homemade mayo on top of a baked sweet potato is heaven!

That sounds like a very odd combo in which I am scared to try... Shoot I am too scared to try the homemade mayo in my fridge... I have never been a big mayo person, the thought of it makes my stomach turn. I may just have to give it a try since I do enjoy a sweet potato!

Question: Does it make a difference taste wise if the potato is hot or cold? Meaning like it was baked yesterday and is now in the fridge... 

That sounds like a very odd combo in which I am scared to try... Shoot I am too scared to try the homemade mayo in my fridge... I have never been a big mayo person, the thought of it makes my stomach turn. I may just have to give it a try since I do enjoy a sweet potato!

Question: Does it make a difference taste wise if the potato is hot or cold? Meaning like it was baked yesterday and is now in the fridge... 

FWIW, prior to my Whole30, I never liked mayo. Never kept it in my house.

Homemade mayo is completely different. I use it on baked sweet potato, in chicken and salmon salad, and and as basis for salad dressing. I now always have some on hand: make a couple batches a month.

I've taken a cold baked sweet potato, reheat it in the microwave, and put the mayo on that. I need my baked sweet potato hot, not cold.

This is a personal preference. I like cold baked sweet potato personally but not everyone does. I especially like it cold after a run on a hot day.

To quote Bon Jovi:

"Whoa, we're HALFWAY there. WHOA!!!  Livin on a Prayer!!!"

Halfway baby!!!! (Didn't think I would make it this far)

It feels like that when I don't have complaint foods in the house and a plan.  Start the trip away tomorrow.  Going to do my best.  I've got sunflower seeds and Lara Bars for the flight.  Going to do my best in the restaurants.  Gluten, grain, and soy free should be easy enough to do but (hidden) sugar free is going to be tough.  I'll do my best.  If I get through the trip in spirit (intentionally trying to stay on plan at every meal and with snacks), I will consider myself still on track.

Isn't it a great feeling to be halfway there?? I had the same thought yesterday when I was like OH CRAP ITS DAY 15!! I also did not think I would be able to make this far. I agree that not having compliant food in the house makes such a big difference!

Have fun on your trip! It sounds like you have a great plan for the trip which will def be very helpful! :) 

Trip to the beach has been great. I've stayed as compliant as I can. Asked servers to check on seasonings. Watched as my wife had eaten everything from gourmet donuts to sausage rigatoni. Day 18 is almost in the books. 12 more to go. CP, I guess the others didn't have the stomach for it. Pun intended. Lol!! Hang in there!!

Trip to the beach has been great. I've stayed as compliant as I can. Asked servers to check on seasonings. Watched as my wife had eaten everything from gourmet donuts to sausage rigatoni. Day 18 is almost in the books. 12 more to go. CP, I guess the others didn't have the stomach for it. Pun intended. Lol!! Hang in there!!

That is sooo good to hear that the trip is going great while being as compliant as you can! :) As all we can do is try.. and well ask the servers! LOL

:) Shoot before we know it the Whole30 will be over and we will be like "man that really was not as hard as I built it up to be in my head" LOL

OH it's been hard.  I have been dealing with a whole house full of non- whole 30 folks AND a vacation on top of that.  I'm not sure how well I'm going to be able to re-introduce.  It may be crash and burn on day 31. LOL

LOL... If it is crash and burn on Day 31 you can still say you completed the 30 days.. LOL.. Which is a HUGE deal considering the non-whole 30 folks and vacation that you were able to survive!

Faith, Argo, Chelsea???  I'm assuming they succumbed to the dark side of the force.  Joyce, how's the reset going?

Day 24.  Less than a week left.  Thanks for hanging in there CP.  I'm kind of jealous of these beginning of the month people who have tons of people doing it together.  At least we have each other....unless you're a dookie fan.  Then I'm going to have to disassociate myself with you.  ;-)

UNC class of 95.  Go Heels!!!!

I can't believe that there so little time left...Its all down hill now which is nice, but no less difficult to remain complaint LOL.. But easier than Day 1..

So well ummmm yeah... I am a Dookie! LOL... Hahahaha... Did not go to school there (whew talk about student loan debt) lol.. They were actually the first college basketball team I saw play when I was kid... Which is funny considering I was living in Indiana at the time... Oh well.. We moved to NC a few years later and well Duke stuck... Couldn't go from Duke blue to Carolina blue... Ewww... :) Plus around these parts you have to pull for an ACC team, otherwise people really do not talk to you.

Florida is my #1 team though thanks to my parents and aunts/uncles who went to school there, born and raised a Gator... But Duke is a close #2, but def #1 in the ACC... LOL...

Thursday is going to be very interesting... It should be a good game, even though I still cannot believe that the game was actually postponed due to the weather here last week... 

Faith, Argo, Chelsea???  I'm assuming they succumbed to the dark side of the force.  Joyce, how's the reset going?

Day 24.  Less than a week left.  Thanks for hanging in there CP.  I'm kind of jealous of these beginning of the month people who have tons of people doing it together.  At least we have each other....unless you're a dookie fan.  Then I'm going to have to disassociate myself with you.  ;-)

UNC class of 95.  Go Heels!!!!

How are things going Tarheel?? Excited for the game tonight LOL?? 

Day 29.  On the road again.  Kudos to Ruby Tuesday.  Got a salad from the bar.  The chefs were able to cook a chicken breast with nothing but olive oil and salt and pepper for lunch.  Then salad and talapia in olive oil for dinner.  Both not on the menu normally but they took the olive oil off the salad bar just to make sure they could cook it.

One more day!!!

Day 29.  On the road again.  Kudos to Ruby Tuesday.  Got a salad from the bar.  The chefs were able to cook a chicken breast with nothing but olive oil and salt and pepper for lunch.  Then salad and talapia in olive oil for dinner.  Both not on the menu normally but they took the olive oil off the salad bar just to make sure they could cook it.

One more day!!!

Congrats on making it to Day 30!! Congrats as well on the basketball win!! :) :)  

thank you ma'am on both counts. Congrats on making your whole 30 as well. I've got one more meal today and then I am in the clear. Most likely will be stopping to get some fish and steamed vegetables on the way home. I guess we were the only survivors. I wonder what happened everybody else. Next time I suppose I'm going to start on the first day of the month but there are more than two of us trying to tackle this thing. :-)

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS MY FRIENDS!!!

I honestly never thought I'd do it all 30 days with the travel and vacation and everything else.  Lost 12 pounds and at least an inch off my waist.  Can't wait to get some bloodwork done and see those results.  Thanks to everyone for their support!  I'm whole30.3 as my breakfast this morning was whole 30 also! :-)

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS MY FRIENDS!!!

I honestly never thought I'd do it all 30 days with the travel and vacation and everything else.  Lost 12 pounds and at least an inch off my waist.  Can't wait to get some bloodwork done and see those results.  Thanks to everyone for their support!  I'm whole30.3 as my breakfast this morning was whole 30 also! :-)

WOOOWHOO!!! We made it!! :) Congrats on making it all the way!! Way to go on the weight loss and inches!! :) I agree that next time around the 1st of the month seems to be the popular date to start... :) Now we can say we have 1 whole30 under our now smaller belts!

Archived