Reintro Combo Foods

Lisa L

I am five days away from reintroduction and planning it out now. 

Dairy is on day one, I know that and get it.

Then I have 2 days of Whole30 eating - no dairy.

Then I reintroduce gluten grains...

Here is my question: should I be careful with what I consume that day? Is it okay to have a food with gluten AND dairy (such as bread, waffles, pancakes, etc) or should I try to stick to something that is "cleaner"?

I sure hope that made sense...I know I can easily separate dairy, non-gluten and legumes but most gluten products will contain another one of the 'reintroduction' foods. OR do you have a suggested list? Other than what's in the book?

• Moderators

You will gain more accurate information about what does and does not create symptoms for you if you test only one thing at a time. If you eat both dairy and gluten, you might blame gluten for what was, at least in part, the influence of dairy. 

I am five days away from reintroduction and planning it out now. 

Dairy is on day one, I know that and get it.

Then I have 2 days of Whole30 eating - no dairy.

Then I reintroduce gluten grains...

Here is my question: should I be careful with what I consume that day? Is it okay to have a food with gluten AND dairy (such as bread, waffles, pancakes, etc) or should I try to stick to something that is "cleaner"?

I sure hope that made sense...I know I can easily separate dairy, non-gluten and legumes but most gluten products will contain another one of the 'reintroduction' foods. OR do you have a suggested list? Other than what's in the book?

You can reintro whatever you want in whatever order you want. The sample in the book is just an example.

Whatever you do, yes, you reintro one food group at all 3 meals in one day, keeping everything else Whole30 compliant. Then 100% Whole30 eating for 2 days, then move on to the next food group. Repeat until you're done.

The idea is once you reintro a food, you don't eat it again until you're done with the reintro process.  So, if you can keep reintros as clean as possible, that's your best bet in terms of the certainty of your results.

If you have the book, the examples it provides are good.  If not, here's the link to the same info online: http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

• 1 month later...

I'm reintroducing gluten tomorrow and was having the same questions.  Most kinds of bread are made with some dairy, and all the breads I'm finding that are dairy free are also gluten-free!  My plan tonight is to make homemade english muffins for tomorrow morning.  The recicpe calls for a little dairy but I'll sub with homemade cashew milk...  this will be interesting to say the least :)

So far I've reintroduced beer, dairy, and gluten-free grains (on separate days).  I had by far the worst reaction to beer (sharp stomach pains after drinking about half a pint), a mild reaction to dairy (slight tummy rumbling), and no reaction to gluten-free grains in the form of rice and quinoa.  

I'm really interested to see if my reaction to beer could be linked to a gluten sensitivity.  I should find out tomorrow!

Archived