Week 1 (Help! I'm hungry all day!)

ellpee44

So I'm in the middle of the third day of my whole30. I've loved everything I've eaten but have been hungry in between meals for the first 2 days. I added more eggs to my breakfast this morning and that helped a little but still find myself hungry mid-morning. I have to eat pretty early (breakfast around 6:15 or 6:30) then my lunch break isn't until noon. I don't know if that's the problem? Do I need more in my breakfast? 

My meals so far:

day 1 

breakfast: two eggs (over medium) cooked in 1 tbsp ghee, 3 slices jamon serrano, 1/2 avocado, small coffee with homemade almond milk

lunch: tuna and avocado salad (has one can of wild-caught tuna, 1/2 avocado, 1 scallion, 1/2 jalapeno, a splash of Olive Oil mayo), 1/4 c. olives, 1/2 grapefruit

dinner: 1.5 palms worth of tarragon chicken (recipe in ISWF), roasted brussel sprouts, baked kale chips, 1/2 grapefruit

day 2

breakfast: sweet potato hash topped with 2 eggs (recipe from Nom Nom Paleo) - all cooked in ghee, used 2 tbsp overall, small coffee with homemade almond milk

lunch: tuna and avocado salad, 1 apple, handful of almonds, 1/4 c. olives

dinner: mexicali ground beef w/ onions, peppers, and jalapenos (recipe in ISWF) over butter lettuce with dreamy avocado dressing, baked kale chips

*When I was still hungry at the end of day 2, I did some reading on the forum and in ISWF again and adjusted my meals with more eggs in the morning, more vegetables at lunch, and more fat overall

day 3

breakfast: sweet potato hash topped with 4 eggs - all cooked in ghee, 1 small apple, coffee with homemade almond milk

lunch: tarragon chicken, 1 c. snow peas with dreamy avocado dressing, 1/4 c. olives, 1/2 avocado

I plan on having the same mexicali ground beef tonight with roasted brussel sprouts and zucchini 

I'd add more veg to breakfast, some sauteed greens (spinach, kale).  I've found that (plus the sweet potato you're already eating) makes a huge difference in my satiety throughout the day.  You should be aiming for 2-3 cups of veg at all your meals.  If you think you are eating enough veg, then consider cutting out fruit for a few days and see what affect that has.

My husband and I both have breakfast at about 6:30 and don't usually have lunch till 1 at the earliest.  (He takes a mini meal for his 10:00 break but mostly stopped eating it after week 2)

Edited to add:  the template says that your egg serving should be as many eggs as you can hold in your hand...

• Moderators

Eat more eggs, more tuna, more chicken. Fill the rest of your plate up with veggies. Two eggs is not enough breakfast. Think 3-4 eggs. A can of tuna sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. And chicken is diet food to me. I tend to have problems when eating chicken unless I eat big portions... like 4 palm-size portions. I find that beef satisfies me longer.

Even though I followed the template closely, it took my body several days to get used to this radically different way of eating, instead of my old ways of eating mini-meals throughout the day. It was probably Day 5 before it started to feel more normal. It's Day 9 and I'm juuuust about getting the hang of feeling good with 3 solid meals/day. Hang in there!

Hang in there, because the first week was hard for me too.  I felt hungry alot and the first few days had trouble sleeping because of it.  I added more protein and fat to my breakfast and lunch and that seemed to help.  And lots more veggies.

Today is Day 30 for me.  I rarely feel hungry, unless I have just gone way to long in between meals.

You can do it!!

I find the more I add to my eggs in the morning, the longer I am satiated. I add spinach, mushrooms, red bell peppers, and any other veggies I've got on hand.

I was hungry the first few days, but you're almost over that hump! I cannot BELIEEEEVE what happened to me in the first week! Since then (I'm on day 16) I have been satiated all day, every day, and have had to force myself to eat some meals. That has never happened to me, in my life.

Stick with it! It is SO worth feeling great!

Archived