Fritatta, Meatloaf, and various "muffins" - stick to the pan!

ktothev

I like to make frittatas, meatloafs, etc in muffin tins...I'm single, and it makes portioning and potential freezing much easier.

However, I have a horrible time with whatever I'm making sticking to the muffin tin. I do grease the tin (with compliant fat) but still, I swear I'm losing 1/4-1/3 of each "muffin" getting them out. (And don't get me started on the cleaning of the pan...as if I'm not already doing enough dishes).

What do you guys do for your "muffins"? Do you use actual muffin cups? A non-stick muffin pan?

I also do this! Here is what worked for me!

1) Use a LOT of grease, not just a little. I like to use coconut oil this time of year because it hardens on there and makes a shell, and I can really see how much is on it. When I use olive oil, I like there to be a little pool in the bottom even.

2) OR parchment paper. The problem with using it in muffin tins is that you have to cut out little circles for the bottom of each tin, and who has time for that. Ugh.

Another thing here is that you might need a new muffin tin, depending on how you have been cleaning yours. If you are like me, no one ever told you things like "the chemicals in some detergent will ruin your nonstick" or "using steel wool will absolutely 100% ruin your nonstick" or "if you left olive oil in there too long and it burned and you got it out with baking soda and vinegar, that may also... yes, ruin your nonstick." If you've cleaned your tins out with steel wool (or a magic eraser) a lot, probably there are a lot of scratches in there, and that makes things stick worse and your nonstick is gone. If you are using cast iron though... just a lot of oil. More than you think you need.

Then when you get the little quichies or meatballs out, wait for them to cool (I KNOW IT SUCKS you want one right then while it is hot but NO YOU MUST WAIT) and then run a knife around each one before you try to pry it out... and remember... LOTS of oil on the bottom, or parchment paper. (I cannot say lots of oil on the bottom enough). I don't mean like an inch or anything, but you do want a visible puddle down there. If you can get the oil to stick to the sides that's good too, but I find most of my sticking is to the bottom.

I have silicone muffin tins like these and don't have nearly as much trouble with them as I do with the metal ones, regardless of what I'm making (frittatas or whatever).

Also, if you like prosciutto, Nom Nom Paleo has a recipe for frittata muffins wrapped in prosciutto that's both yummy and keeps the egg from sticking, if you have the patience to do it right (I, unfortunately, do not, but they're still tasty anyway!).

ETA recipe link: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins

My muffin tin was so full of crusty egg bits I just threw it out. I'm not big on using non stick stuff anyway I cook almost everything in cast iron, so that's what I'm gonna use next time. Just cut into wedges!!!

I have a cast iron avelskeever pan, but I'm worried those will be too small!

jent, I made a variation of those, using proscuitto and my own frittata recipe...and they were the worse culprits of all.

I love the looks of that silicone muffin tin...bonus is that it flexes so you could probably let things cool a bit and coax them out much more easily...

Really! Huh. I've only tried it with the silicone ones and they slid right out - maybe it was the silicone and not the prosciutto!

Those pans are really great. If you let them cool long enough, just about anything I've made in them pops out. I do still grease them if I'm making baked goods (obviously not on W30!).

i find that greasing with coconut oil doesn't help with sticking, however lard works like a charm possibly because it's a thicker product and more temperature stable.  I've also done parchment paper liners and they're great, though i want to get the silicon so there is less waste

The silicone muffin liners are amazing!  I have a bunch of sets in different sizes (mini, regular and king sized) and they work great.  Nothing sticks to them...nothing!  Clean up is a breeze too - just soak briefly in soapy water and wipe clean.

AND, they don't need a muffin tin so I can line 18 - 24 cups on a big rimmed cookie sheet and make a double batch of whatever.

I use these (all of mine are Wilton): http://goo.gl/i4e59x

I use a non-stick muffin tin now, but I had to throw out my old one, it looked okay, but everything stuck to it unless it was made of grains lol

The silicon muffin liners are quite good, but often don't fit nicely inside your pan, so it's good to either get matching ones, or if the liners are stiff, some can be their own tray, on a flat tray.

I put a good sized spoon of coconut oil in the bottom of each muffin pan hole and not much sticks, ever.

It's worth looking at the recipes too, some are better at crisping up muffin "edges" and some are more soggy/sticky.

Archived