protein shakes [serious info inside]

Rhaegar

I'm currently studying my Bachelors in Exercise & Sport Science, and working full-time as a Chef. So my time is quite stretched.

When I finish training I generally have to dash off to work, which doesn't leave much time for me to ingest protein in the optimal time-frame of protein synthesis (3hrs optimal - 24hr heightened protein synthesis). So gulping down a protein shake is the easiest, and only, way for me to get a high protein serving for my body.

How detrimental would having 3 protein shakes a week during the Whole30 be? So essentially, 12 whey-based protein shakes?

Basically this: if you are having whey protein shakes*, you are not doing a whole30. period.

It takes some getting used to, but once you do, it does not take any more time or effort to have tuna or roasted chicken breast or whatever ready to eat right after your workout. Part of the whole30 is getting out of the mindset of whatever you have always done. It takes planning but it is worth it.

*vegetarians have whey protein as an option--their set of whole30 rules is a totally different ballgame.

Basically this: if you are having whey protein shakes*, you are not doing a whole30. period.

It takes some getting used to, but once you do, it does not take any more time or effort to have tuna or roasted chicken breast or whatever ready to eat right after your workout. Part of the whole30 is getting out of the mindset of whatever you have always done. It takes planning but it is worth it.

*vegetarians have whey protein as an option--their set of whole30 rules is a totally different ballgame.

Thanks for your input.

Ok... so in layman's terms now.  Are you saying you don't have time to sit down and eat a meal?

As soon as I finish training, I head to work. I don't have time to eat until just before service (assuming my apprentice's and other Chef's are on top of everything) which is roughly 5-5.5hrs after training which is outside of the optimum window for protein synthesis regarding muscle growth. If I am unable to eat then, my next chance is after service which is 8 hours after training - So in short; no.

I would just pack a few pre-peeled boiled eggs and call it good :)  

There are lots of quick meals that can be ready on the go, and you can always keep a larabar in your car for emergencies.  (Not really a PWO option, and it really is supposed to be only for emergencies, but if you are busy it's better than skipping a meal because you forgot to pack lunch.)

Took me about a week to get over being self conscious about eating real food at they gym after my workout, but it really isn't any harder to eat hard boiled eggs, or homemade compliant sausage than it is to eat a protein bar. It just takes some additional prep time and I am doing that anyway for the rest of my meals. There are a lot of good ideas for packable meals that aren't bad cold/room temp on those threads.

Archived