The Super Bowl

Guest Wheat on Trial

Guest Wheat on Trial

Ok everyone - who else is going to still be doing their Whole 30 on Super Bowl Sunday?

What will you be doing?

A. Hosting your own Whole 30 friendly super bowl party.

B. Attending another party but bringing something you can eat.

C. Making a super bowl of bone broth. Just like every other Sunday.

Just interested to hear what's on your menu!

So glad you started this thread!!  I CAN'T BELIEVE MY BRONCOS MADE IT TO THE SUPER BOWL AND I'M ON WHOLE 30!! AHHH!!!

So yeah... I am like stoked and terrified all at the same time.  I must find some delicious, approved foods or my hubby will never forgive me! Haha.... At least we will be partying with our own little family, so that makes it easy.

So far I definitely think steak will be on the menu.  Sweet potatoes for the orange and blueberries for the blue  :D 
Deviled eggs sound like another fun, festive treat.  And that's all I've got so far.  

Amanda, I would love to know how to make Plantain Nachos!

Guest Wheat on Trial

All sounds delicious! The other thing I'm wondering is the whole idea of snacking - are you sticking with only eating at meal times? Or indulging throughout the game?

Spinach guacamole with carrots, peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers to dip in.  Shrimp cocktail. chicken fingers (breaded in almond flour) with mustard.

Eat the right proportion of these things and you could call it a balanced meal.  :)  Just don't keep snacking when you've eaten enough for a meal. 

Hahaha! Yup, I almost panicked when my Seahawks made it in! Now I have to handle Superbowl too??? lol

We'll probably be going to a party at my sister-in-law's. I'm planning to make a bunch of snacky types of foods that together will add up to a whole meal. I'm thinking meatballs (or another great idea I saw - mini meatballs with a toothpick holding a small piece of bacon, a cherry tomato, and a bit of lettuce... kind of a tiny deconstructed hamburger, lol), chicken bites, olives, raw veggies with a compliant dip... that kind of thing. 

I expect all the Paleo blogs will be full of Superbowl food ideas this week. Just be sure to check each recipe for W30 compliance as they won't all be but I'm sure many will be. I need to find out who is having a gathering. I've not actually watched a superbowl since the last time the Hawks made it. 

Watching from home, but the hubster will be ordering pizza and wings (I've been given fair warning!) and probably cheese sticks or poppers, too.  Here's the plan, so far:

Chicken wings (baked--thank you Alton Brown) with Frank's and ghee for sauce

ranch dressing from whole9

lots of crunchy veg (carrots, celery, etc) to dip in aforementioned ranch and...

a giant bowl of guacamole

still on the fence about: sweet potato hummus and plantain chips--anybody tried these?

I'm planning on plaintain nachos! Going to a party at someone else's house, so I may bring dinner for myself too with nachos to share. I'm not currently Whole30ing but the Super Bowl isn't a special enough occasion *to me* to warrant a big offroad. (Now, maybe one day if the Titans ever make it, it will be... but for now I'll settle for Peyton!)

FYI, here's a Super Bowl ideas post from Melissa Joulwan from a couple years ago.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/02/03/buffalo-chicken-chopped-salad-other-super-bowl-recipes/

I can't believe nobody has mentioned my favorite party food yet.

Deviled Eggs!!!

They are even better with bacon, such as:

http://pinchmysalt.com/chipotle-bacon-deviled-eggs/

I made these for a Seahawks Playoffs party and they flew off the counter.  A good match for a bunch of veggies with dips.  The two make a meal!

Yay Seattle!

I am going for the socialization...not even sure who is playing!  ^_^

I am making bacon-wrapped jalapenos stuffed with pork sausage along with some stuffed with cream cheese for those that don't care what they eat.  I made these last year and they were a hit!

I am going for the socialization...not even sure who is playing!  ^_^

I am making bacon-wrapped jalapenos stuffed with pork sausage along with some stuffed with cream cheese for those that don't care what they eat.  I made these last year and they were a hit!

The Seahawks are playing. That is all you have to know. GO HAWKS! ;)

Guest Wheat on Trial

We were invited to friends to watch the game - they just had a baby so they are home bound and don't want too many people over, so I feel honored to be asked. They also were amenable to working with us on the menu - good friends!

Even so - would prefer to not have any temptation. So I think we'll be staying in. Go commercials!

We were invited to friends to watch the game - they just had a baby so they are home bound and don't want too many people over, so I feel honored to be asked. They also were amenable to working with us on the menu - good friends!

Even so - would prefer to not have any temptation. So I think we'll be staying in. Go commercials!

If they just had a baby why not go over and offer to bring the food so they don't have to cook. Bringing meals to new parents is always a great way to help them out anyway. This way you can have fun with them and have compliant food.

It's just me and the hubby since I have no friends who either watch football or are Hawks fans around here.  I'm making baked buffalo wings with franks red hot sauce and ghee, deviled eggs, the chili from Nom Nom Paleo's cookbook and bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers. My husband loves them stuffed with cream cheese but I need to figure out what to stuff them with to make them compliant. Either guacamole or sausage I guess. 

We're going to a Super Bowl party at a family member's house!

Bringing:

• Steak strips marinated in coconut aminos, lime juice, and spices. 
  • Guacamole
  • Lots of raw veggies (celery, cucumber, carrots, maybe jicama)
  • And possibly a fruit salad made with pineapple and kiwi in case I really want something sweet, I can eat a few bites of that instead. 
  • Sparkling water with lime wedges to drink

I'm not sure what else will be on the menu, so I want to bring enough things that I can make a full meal out of what I bring. :)

Archived