Do you pre and post snack for things like a brisk walk or zumba?

starmice

I've looked through the posts on this topic and understand if someone is doing Crossfit or weights or an intense workout then they should pre and post snack, but what about something like a 30 min brisk walk? I'm thinking no,  right? How about a brisk 1 hour walk or hike? What about an hour long zumba class (you work up quite a sweat but it's probably 70% intensity). 

I did the whole30 a year ago and at the time didn't think to include pre and post-workout snacks. Back then I was doing crossfit and noticed that my brain didn't work that well afterwards - I didn't feel like working and my brain seemed to move more slowly, which was inconvenient for working :) . Has anyone else had that happen? I didn't feel hungry so didn't think it was my meal timing but now that I'm reading these posts I'm starting to wonder. 

Sidenote - I will be going back to crossfit but am slowly getting up to speed with easier stuff like walking/dancing first so it doesn't shock my system all at once.

Your observation is a good one. I think our bodies are pretty good at telling us if we need that additional food or not. For example I skipped my post workout starchy vegetable and went straight to lunch last Saturday and ended up in an "eat all the things" mood that night. I finally realized what I was missing and ate some sweet potato and was fine. I just did a 30 minute class today so just had a larger 2nd meal with some starchy included. 

I would say on a W30, when in doubt have the food...the worst thing that happens is you extend when you are hungry for your next meal.

I walk at lunch for about an hour everyday (about 4 miles) 4 days out of 5 in a typical workweek, and go to Zumba twice a week. My pre-walk and pre-zumba snacks are usually one or two hardboiled eggs and a handful of nuts. Then I'll eat right after a palm-sized protein, green veggies and a starchy veggie like 1/2 sweet potato. I find that the pre-workout snack seems to prepare me mentally for what's ahead and I work out better knowing I'm doing so with a little bit of fuel in me. The post-workout meal is usually timed with a lte-ish lunch or dinner. I sometimes don't feel like eating after, but in ISWF, it's essential to eat because it helps your body repair itself after exertion. I'm on Day 12 and doing ok so far! Hope you figure out what works best for you!

Thanks for the fast responses! I also should have mentioned that one of my goals for 2014 is to lose around 40 pounds. I was also curious - in the book it says "your pre-workout food sends a signal to your body to prepare it for the activity that is coming."

How does eating tell your body you're about to work out? 

Thanks for the fast responses! I also should have mentioned that one of my goals for 2014 is to lose around 40 pounds. I was also curious - in the book it says "your pre-workout food sends a signal to your body to prepare it for the activity that is coming."

How does eating tell your body you're about to work out? 

I can't explain the physiology of it, but for me, it's the routine of eating a little something before I walk or do Zumba. Because I follow it with some sort of physical activity, everytime I take my snack, my body knows something's coming up! And the snack really helps...I don't like working out without a little something inside me. :)

Archived