Day 13-venting a little here

pickles 37_10

So. Made it (almost) through day 13, which was a rough one. Survived a 2 hour long morning meeting with all of my coworkers around me at a small table eating fresh bagels with cream cheese (!!!) Definitely not my favorite food, but it really looked good this morning. My energy level has been great, I have felt full and satisfied and emotionally stable most all of the time so far-not even any KATT days so really pretty great.

I feel like I've maybe been eating too much fat. I still feel like my pants are tighter and my stomach is bigger. This is a concern because I have a lot of weight to lose. I haven't been really measuring portions at all and maybe I should? Today is pretty typical of my food days (at least portion-wise) so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. :)

Today's food

B-3 eggs (boiled) and a good 2 cups of buttercup and acorn squash, with approx. 3 Tb. of ghee

L-large bowl of chili (probably 2-3 cups) made with beef, tomatoes, peppers onions, spices with guacamole (probably about 1/2 cup, made with avocadoes and homemade mayo)

D-4 more boiled eggs (kind of boring but I'm working both jobs today) another cup of squash with  approx. 2 Tb. of ghee.

Also did 45 minutes of stationary bike in there, and drank lots and lots of water.

I know I just have to be patient. I suck at patience. I will stay off the scale. I will give this a chance to work. I'm not expecting to drop a ton of weight but I'm hoping to lose at least some because I've tried just about every freaking diet out there with no success and a lot of insanity. Any encouragement would be great.

• Moderators

During my first Whole30 (back in September/October, I'm doing my second now), I was convinced the entire time that I was gaining weight. I mean, the ENTIRE time. Until maybe the last couple of days. And yet at the end, on day 31 when I weighed myself, I'd lost a few pounds. Just trust it, and keep going, and focus on the fact that you have energy, you're not hungry between meal, and you feel emotionally stable. Those are good things.

As far as food, just follow the template. Make sure you get lots of veggies (2-3 cups per meal), 1-2 palm size portions of meat, and 1-2 thumbs of fat. Everything I've read on the forums is that eating the maximum amount of fat in the template (and according to some people, even eating a little more than that) won't make you gain weight. I've read pretty much everything I could find in the forums about it, because I have a lot of weight to lose, and was concerned because it goes against everything I've heard about what you need to do to lose weight. Here's a thread where someone else asked about it: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/9465-eating-too-much-fat/ and another one: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/14330-too-much-fat/

I am on day 25.  I feel amazing, sleeping like a baby and full of energy.  I have eaten more vegetables in 2014 then I have the whole 2013.  Last weekend I was feeling the cravings while watch football. So I cheated...I weighed myself.  I have now lost 17 pounds on day 25 without exercising as I have some back problems that are healing up.  After just two weeks on this new way of eating my pack pain was 90% gone.  I did some exercising and injured it again.  So more rest before I try again. 

I don't measure anything and only eat what is on the plan.  It is now easier to resist temptation in fear of feeling like crap again. 

Keep up the good work.

Best!

You may want to try mixing up the veggies you are eating and giving up or reducing some of the high carb starchy ones (butternut squash) for other choices like greens, zucchini, etc... These are lower in carbs but will still keep you full while reducing your calories and getting your body used to burning fat over carbs. Even tomatoes and onions are kind of high in sugar. 8 days in we usual keep the starchy carbs to breakfast and eat green non starchy veggies at other meals. Feeling like I am leaner so, far, but I know things could change :)

I second everything ShannonM816 says! I, too, thought for sure I was gaining weight during my first W30. I kept in mind, though, that if I WAS gaining weight it was because my body was doing what it needed to do to become healthy again consuming real, whole foods (and not inflammatory foods.) Toward the end of the 30 days I did begin to see results, and even more results the following 30 days (not a true W30, but close on most days.)

Take care of yourself. Get good sleep, don't over exercise, and eat real food according to the template. Your body will take care of you.

Also, regarding starchy veggies, I HAVE to eat them or I will get depressed and lethargic. Something to consider if you reduce them.

You have already gotten some really great advice. I would say that your portion sizes look really good and if you are not feeling hungry between meals or overstuffed you are on the right track. I would definitely add some variety to your vegetables. Try adding some dark leafy greens for example. 

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate the feedback. I'm feeling better today-I was in kind of a low place, moodwise, last night!

Today so far

meal 1-only 2 eggs (I am out, the horror, that will be remedied shortly), about 1 cup of buttercup squash with some ghee

meal 2-big salad with spinach and baby lettuce, cauliflower and carrots. 2 smaller chicken breasts roasted with EVOO. Salad dressing made with fresh-squeezed pomegranate juice and EVOO (yum)

meal 3 will be similar to meal 2.

We'll see how it goes with more greens, less squash. So far not feeling overly hungry.

It is so great to see this forum... I am only on Day 5 but feel the same way... Like I am eating too much fat even though I am eating within the template... For me it has been a struggle not logging everything I eat into myfitnesspal... As I was an avid coutner/tracker but it was successful for me in loosing 50 pounds. I still have 10-15 more to go but I know i need a better relationship with food outside of counting the calories... I am also a bit worried since I am feeling good 5 days in... I havent hit the kill all things phase yet. Granted I did notice an increase in road rage while driving from the store, but I suspect it was because I had 2 troops of girl scouts try to woo me in with their cookies. As well as spotting my fave candy in the grocery store. The small little purple bags of cadbury eggs that they release for easter... 

Ladies- We can so do this! :) We just have to trust the process.... That is what I keep telling myself over and over again.. :D

You could be bloated and that makes you feel fatter. Eating a lot of different foods can do that. 13 days in is too early to tell. I don't think the weight loss happens until the 3rd or 4th week. What you are doing now is resetting your body. That will help you lose more weight in the future.

Archived